• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Half-way serious question... first Liefeld pouches?

20 posts in this topic

Cable had pouches right off the bat. That was only 3 issues into his NM run. I don't have 85 or 86 to check for prior appearances.

Liefeld's first issue was 86, although he and McFarlane did the cover to 85.

I feel that his Hawk and Dove #4 cover is incomplete without pouches. Let's call it a prototype.

Cable had pouches right off the bat. That was only 3 issues into his NM run. I don't have 85 or 86 to check for prior appearances.

I feel that his Hawk and Dove #4 cover is incomplete without pouches. Let's call it a prototype.

That's the first set of books I went for after reading the OP's question. There must be some pouches somewhere in that series. You can't have a formidable character without some deadly pouches. It's expected.

That's the first set of books I went for after reading the OP's question. There must be some pouches somewhere in that series. You can't have a formidable character without some deadly pouches. It's expected.

I was focusing on cover pouches. Cover pouches are more important (and you can look for them online)

hehe :insane: almost spat my coffee out

And can we actually talk The CGC into noting this on the label once the book is identified? It is a distinguishing characteristic that set the tone for the 90's, and beyond.

Where would Hellboy, Rick Grimes, The Goon and Spawn be today if these characters had not been inspired by Death Pouch?

All depends really. There is no story in megaton explosion, just pinups, bios,and origin stories

20141015_093752.jpg

Thanks for posting Green!

That pic is sooo bad. Skunkman in the wannabe Wolverine outfit has a calf muscle on his forearm. Silver Sable/Wonderwoman has a crab claw as a hand. Rip-off Colossus has wrist weights to stay in shape and a Kid'N'Play flat top. Rip-off Firelord…geez, so much fail going on in that "art".

It's amazing how some people succeed in the comic business and some people don't...

To be fair, Liefeld was only 19 when he drew that pin-up in Megaton. I mean, it's the comic equivalent the character data on the back of a GI Joe action figure.

After a quick cursory check of early Liefeld covers (including What If 7, X-Men 245, X-Factor 40-52, etc.) I too think that the answer is Hawk & Dove # 4. Barely w/ pouches, but extra credit for the bandolier and dual oversized handgun cannons.

I would argue that Ex-Mutants The Shattered Earth Chronicles # 4 would be the first incarnation of the " Pouch Movement " which is just randomly placing stuff on the waist arms and legs.

If you look at the cover, you can see what appears to be Ammo on the right arm of the girl holding the gun.

Honestly,

I just think that Ex-mutants # 4 pretty much sums up the start of Liefeld as we know him today. Before this issue, he had a slightly different style.

Big Hair, Big guns and swords at the same time.... The start of putting all over his characters extremities.

Honestly,

I just think that Ex-mutants # 4 pretty much sums up the start of Liefeld as we know him today. Before this issue, he had a slightly different style.

Big Hair, Big guns and swords at the same time.... The start of putting all over his characters extremities.

I think he got a little carried away drawing fingers on that one.

Honestly,

Yep Classic Liefeld. 5 regular fingers and joints on the right hand, and obviously there is supposed to be a thumb back there somewhere....

Honestly,

Yep Classic Liefeld. 5 regular fingers and joints on the right hand, and obviously there is supposed to be a thumb back there somewhere....

Maybe that's it! This is the source of the problem! The issue was published and he saw the cover and was mortified at what he had done! "I'LL NEVER DRAW AN APPENDAGE EVER AGAIN!" and so he didn't.

Honestly,

Maybe that's it! This is the source of the problem! The issue was published and he saw the cover and was mortified at what he had done! "I'LL NEVER DRAW AN APPENDAGE EVER AGAIN!" and so he didn't.

Yet he in fact did it again! I am almost certain in New Mutants 100 there is a 6 fingered character. Imagine that!