• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weird finds in the dollar bin

5 posts in this topic

I recently visited a local comic book store in the Los Angeles area. They have about 20 long boxes filled with unsorted comic books at $1 each. The owners told me that these are long boxes that they buy from clients. This means that, for example, one box contains comics from the same client.

Some of the finds in these boxes were weird. For example, I found some titles from the 1970s in multiple copies and when I say multiple, I mean it. For example, one of these boxes contained roughly 40 copies of Spider-Woman 17, all in VF conditions. Why someone would buy so many copies of a single issue? I would love to know the story behind this collector.

Typically (tho not always) the result of purchasing dealer overstock.

Bingo. I bought some old store stock last year in alabama. Had a short box amount full of x-force #2's, need to find those, and a full long box of lobo deadly serious and general shermans march

A dealer couple in the suburbs bought 3 shelves full of junky overstock from a city auction. They normally dealt with toys and cards but added about 30 long boxes of comics to try out. Bought Sandman 1 (1st print) to # 6 for 50c each that were about the only comics pre-bagged by previous collector but they did not realize they may have been worth more than a $1. Just bought 7 nm copies of X-force #2 at 63c each so still common.