• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adventures of Superman (1950s TV series) Question

7 posts in this topic

I have started re-watching the show and was curious how close George Reeves' portrayal of Clark Kent was to the comics at the time. It has been ages since I read any Supes books from that time period and don't collect these books.

Kent was not a wussy at all in the show which I like and the earlier seasons are grittier than the latter color episodes. I thought it moved to a campier feel at that time as well.

Was this how Kent was in the books or was he a bespectacled coward in the comics?

Amazing how a pair of glasses can hide his identity, regardless :D

In the '50s books generally, my impression was that he played the bespectacled coward when needed, but usually just went about his business and cleverly stepped away when Supes needed to make an appearance. The earlier episodes of the TV show did tend toward the gritty side, perhaps a little more gritty than the book portrayal.

In the '50s books generally, my impression was that he played the bespectacled coward when needed, but usually just went about his business and cleverly stepped away when Supes needed to make an appearance. The earlier episodes of the TV show did tend toward the gritty side, perhaps a little more gritty than the book portrayal.

Best ever version of Superman. I am surprised DC never honored George Reeves with being on the cover of Superman.

Reeves certainly pulled it off I thought. His not so cowardly Kent is refreshing. He found the right balance. The show still has some funny moments. I remember one episode where Supes is shot and of course the bullets bounce off but then the thug throws the gun at him and he ducks - would have thought that a thrown gun was less intimidating than bullets lol

I still like Christopher Reeve's Supes and love Bud Collyer's voice on the radio program from Kent to Supes - thought he was great.

I love the show, and Reeves was great. But my only problem with his portrayal of Clark is that there isn't any difference between his personality and Superman's. No way that everyone wouldn't know they were the same guy. I know it's just a TV show for the kiddies, but even as a kid, that used to bug me. That's why I liked Christopher Reeve's Clark Kent so much. He slouched to make himself appear shorter, and his demeanor was so different from when he was Superman that it was almost possible to believe that his disguise would fool people.