• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian newsstand price variants

12 posts in this topic

While showing off my Swamp Thing 21 Canadian newsstand variant in the appreciation thread, there was some talk about them being uncommon to find. Has there been any threads talking about the rarity of Canadian newsstands, or do many people collect them? The majority of my comics are american versions, but I do have a few 75c marvels (x-men, asm) and 95c DCs (Crisis books, Moore swamp things, batmans) and even a few 1.00 Secret wars 2 books. Is there a list of all these books, I found one list online but it wasn't complete (I have a teen titans 40 that they didn't list as existing). I'm surprised I don't have more, living in Canada and all.

Here's the Swampy 21:

ANm73tdl.jpg

While showing off my Swamp Thing 21 Canadian newsstand variant in the appreciation thread, there was some talk about them being uncommon to find. Has there been any threads talking about the rarity of Canadian newsstands, or do many people collect them? The majority of my comics are american versions, but I do have a few 75c marvels (x-men, asm) and 95c DCs (Crisis books, Moore swamp things, batmans) and even a few 1.00 Secret wars 2 books. Is there a list of all these books, I found one list online but it wasn't complete (I have a teen titans 40 that they didn't list as existing). I'm surprised I don't have more, living in Canada and all.

Here's the Swampy 21:

ANm73tdl.jpg

:takeit:

They're not difficult to find, but they are in high grade.

I am looking to get a complete set. For DC, that's somewhere around mid-83 (I haven't exactly figured it out) to Sept 88, and for Marvels, it's 10/82 to 8/86.

After 8/86, Marvel continued to produce Canadian Price Variants at 95¢ cover prices. Even tougher to find in high grade then the 75¢.

These books were only 10% of the entire print run of the issues and they are very scarce in Very Fine or better.

Not to mention, DC had some screwy Canadian Price Variants, for example Batman #400 has a cover price of $2.10.

Archie Publications has many Canadian Price Variants as well.

There is currently only 1 CGC copy of TMNT Adventures #72 Canadian Price Variant at $1.65 and it's very high grade at 9.6. This issue is already scarce in high grade as a regular edition with a low print run.

Would they be worth getting graded? I have a stack of them with some 9.2+. I can scan some this afternoon, there's a early swamp thing vol 2 run and half a crisis run, etc

Use common sense when choosing to get them graded.

The problem is that CGC constantly misses or mislabels the books so you have to

constantly call or email them to ensure the properly label the books.

Key books are good to grade at 9.2 or higher.

Non-keys are good at 9.6 to 9.8.

I've sold numerous "single highest graded" copies at 3 to 5 times more then regular copies.

Would they be worth getting graded? I have a stack of them with some 9.2+. I can scan some this afternoon, there's a early swamp thing vol 2 run and half a crisis run, etc

Use common sense when choosing to get them graded.

The problem is that CGC constantly misses or mislabels the books so you have to

constantly call or email them to ensure the properly label the books.

Key books are good to grade at 9.2 or higher.

Non-keys are good at 9.6 to 9.8.

I've sold numerous "single highest graded" copies at 3 to 5 times more then regular copies.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll get them scanned up this afternoon. Maybe it'll just be better to start a sale post on here for the people in the know.

So, I got some of the better looking copies scanned, I have 10-12 other swamp things in slightly lower grade and a few batmans, secrets wars, etc. If someone could help me with approx values on some of these, that would be awesome - I'll do a sale thread if there is enough demand. I didn't want to spam the official thread with all these scans, so I'll post these here. If anyone has any non-key wants other than these, I can take a look around to see if they available.

Click for high res:

uKt8gFel.jpg4nCdrQ7l.jpg

SldATTul.jpgQeekEWcl.jpg

zC46blCl.jpg5DlWY6Fl.jpg

qBRwxYFl.jpgazRb7jWl.jpg

U4jte1Ll.jpgtSRNymil.jpg

IRucRvSl.jpgHoMFNJwl.jpg

zwNzrRSl.jpgjFUWI0Vl.jpg

tjO7eWyl.jpgVh4gEJzl.jpg

5MhtlQel.jpgfYwXLlDl.jpg

BwNXHpRl.jpgvoZpOn1l.jpg

PL9Ci6Yl.jpg9rXv6Jxl.jpg

oA7qzg8l.jpgihSwy8yl.jpg

OPw9a5il.jpg4aeL127l.jpg

Cj3PB6Jl.jpgGxvybkvl.jpg

Ir4YpVpl.jpgl0JeOKNl.jpg

ZFizJW7l.jpgy7Ckk4Fl.jpg

BCOoNkDl.jpg6Hy6QNJl.jpg

naXMSmrl.jpgoRXoxk6l.jpg

R8oVpmbl.jpgJsC6kPxl.jpg

EkJEs1el.jpglQvoWfOl.jpg

a9oFkuCl.jpgoglICE3l.jpg

Etu93mxl.jpgx4v9RVnl.jpg

p2QlaLPl.jpgz6ZiASrl.jpg

um4dtB9l.jpgwHnGpq2l.jpg

1H18ViUl.jpgG6ju64Ml.jpg

wjITLLWl.jpgfCOxfial.jpg

6TG29JOl.jpg7vNm24nl.jpg

OVjjGBXl.jpghKoS4exl.jpg

WcFWSdHl.jpgBmIZCDdl.jpg

o3naxNNl.jpgWpefOR2l.jpg

KKEhy3Tl.jpgYIIbCCel.jpg

OjLBKaDl.jpg7JaslCEl.jpg

tSFRJmLl.jpg5b5UXSbl.jpg

CtnCOLFl.jpgUxDkJVWl.jpg

I am looking to get a complete set. For DC, that's somewhere around mid-83 (I haven't exactly figured it out) to Sept 88, and for Marvels, it's 10/82 to 8/86.

After 8/86, Marvel continued to produce Canadian Price Variants at 95¢ cover prices. Even tougher to find in high grade then the 75¢.

No, they didn't. The 95 cent Canadians are from 2/86 to 8/86. Marvel raised cover prices for standard books from 65 to 75 cents with the 2/86 cover date.

After 8/86, they simply printed both prices on the newsstand versions.

I would be THRILLED to be proven wrong, but I'd put money on it that I'm not.

:popcorn:

No, they didn't. The 95 cent Canadians are from 2/86 to 8/86. Marvel raised cover prices for standard books from 65 to 75 cents with the 2/86 cover date.

After 8/86, they simply printed both prices on the newsstand versions.

I would be THRILLED to be proven wrong, but I'd put money on it that I'm not.

:popcorn:

I don't think you're wrong. Too many darn 2's and 8's in the dates.

If I get some time, I'll dig through a few titles to see if it extends beyond 8/86

For some reason, I keep thinking 88 was the year (but again, that incorporates just more 8's into the date)