• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Day Keys

25 posts in this topic

Oh no, I've lost my modern day keys! 893whatthe.gif

Any keys before 1992 are Copper. Modern is 1992/3 - present.

As for what's a key? Any first issue. Any hero first appearance. Any death, wedding, new power, new supporting character, new villain, change in the status quo on any title is a "key" issue.

What "keys' are "must-haves" that have long-term collector interest at the moment? That's up to you as a collector to decide, but I would say Ultimate Spider-Man 1 is a good choice for a modern key.

Agreed. USM #1 is the only book I can think of at the moment that falls into that category.

What about UXM #1? UXM #7?

As for first issues, I doubt many of them will be too key. For example, the new Cap and IM #1's. I'm loving both books so far but doubt these will be considered key issues, unless that really is the Red Skull who was shot in Cap #1.

How about Batman 608 and 612? First Bats and Supes drawn by JL could prove to be key, especially with Lee starting off as the artist of All-Star Batman & Robin.

Nyx #3? Already proving to be a key issue, even though I'm not really a big fan of X-23. I think she needs to be given a new name. I'll still probably check out the X-23 mini.

And another I can think of is maybe San Diego Comics Con #2, 1st appearance of Hellboy. Spawned a great movie. Well, by "great" i mean "good comic book flick." Definitely way better than Spawn. That's all I've got for now.

Oh and ASM #30 or 36?

Sure USM #1 is the obvious choice because of it's current FMV, but don't you think there are some other moderns out there like ones I've given that will have FMV increases with time?

Oh and ASM #30 or 36?

Sure USM #1 is the obvious choice because of it's current FMV, but don't you think there are some other moderns out there like ones I've given that will have FMV increases with time?

In the long-run...I think ASM vol.2 36 will be worth more than USM 1.

How about some MR books? Trades will hinder value somewhat, but these books are generally lower PR and I believe some of these series will become true classics.

Y - The Last Man #1 (low PR, movie coming)

Fables #1 (awesome series)

The Walking Dead #1,2 (my personal favorite - #2 is TOUGH)

Preacher #1 (absolute classic)

100 Bullets #1 (great book)

Planetary #1

How about some MR books? Trades will hinder value somewhat, but these books are generally lower PR and I believe some of these series will become true classics.

Planetary #1

You might be right on "Y" as it had the low print run. Would be interesting to know the #'s on Fables and Bullets.

Problem w/ Preacher is that it's pretty easy to get. Additionally, with all those series, you can get them in TPB format. Remember the price drop on Preacher #1 once the series was reprinted? Used to sell for $20-25 all day long, now can be had at cons for $5-10.

I think those books all have a much more select audience as well. And most of the people that want the books, have them already (similar to Sandman). You can still get #1 for $20, and that is recognized as one of the alltime classics (and first main Veritgo book as well, I think).

All of that said, I wish they would go up as I have most of them. grin.gif

Oh and ASM #30 or 36?

"Ya know, I don't see it happenin'."

seinfeld.jpg

Actually I like both (own both). But I'm not sure ASM 36v2 will ever be worth more.

Oh and ASM #30 or 36?

"Ya know, I don't see it happenin'."

seinfeld.jpg

Actually I like both (own both). But I'm not sure ASM 36v2 will ever be worth more.

Only time will tell..... wink.gif

Planetary #1

Wasn't Vertigo Preview technically the first Vertigo book? Is there a "first" Vertigo book? Sandman #47 was the first Vertigo issue of that series...

As far as Keys to the medium of comics USM#1 is right at the top, but what books do you think will represent keys in the marketplace (by value)? USM#1 is second to its variant covers when it comes to the monetary value of comics even though both offer the same story. Which will we be talking about in 40 years?

As far as Keys to the medium of comics USM#1 is right at the top, but what books do you think will represent keys in the marketplace (by value)? USM#1 is second to its variant covers when it comes to the monetary value of comics even though both offer the same story. Which will we be talking about in 40 years?

That's what I tried to hit at with my posts. Which issues will be considered keys decades from now. Sure USM #1 will be, but there are many others. Anyone who thinks all moderns are a complete waste of time has another thing coming. There was once a time when ASM #1 was considered "just another book." Think about when the first ASM #1 came out, not too many people back then said "I gotta make sure this book doens't get damaged cause it'll be worth thousands!" It takes time for a book to rise in value. Some moderns will hit marks (not that high, but fairly high) in 30-40 years.

I don't buy any moderns, but I don't see them as a waste if people are buying them because they like and enjoy them. From a money/investment/speculation perspective, though, the sheer amount of money most people will probably trying to give themselves good odds of owning even one copy those few issues that do go way up...those issues will have to go wayyyyy up before they break even overall.

If people are buying them because they're buying what they like, they don't have to worry about it. But if they're buying for speculation...as in any era and with any kind of collectible, they're going to need a lot of money and a lot of luck.