• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Howard the Duck #1

10 posts in this topic

This book has a general waviness which seems due to humidity or something like that, as it’s not water damaged (no staining at all) but just wavy, in a similar way to the squarebound Marvel books, where that is due to the glued spine.

Aside from this, cover lies pretty much flat and still has nice gloss and color.

Has:

– top right front cover crease;

– spine creases (some slightly color breaking);

– bone white pages;

Clickable pictures to access larger versions.

Many thanks as usual!

AveQAaLh.jpg

rZs0x3Hh.jpg

It sounds like most of the grade will be determined by the degree/cause of the 'waviness' we cannot see in the scan.

Given how CGC graders have responded to even a hint of moisture . . .

6.5/7.0

The question is: is moisture (or whatever causes the mild waviness) treated as water damage? Because water damage leaves ALWAYS a stain, no matter what, while here there is no trace of water damage, and as I said the "waviness" is similar to the one of the squarebound Marvel books, no trace of water whatsoever. hm

Humidity, moisture, water damage, staining, musty-smelling, foxing . . . .

This is what happens when H2O comes into contact with paper.

Back in the day when CGC gave you the graders notes for free, I had a slam-dunk 9.0 silver age Marvel come back as a 7.5 on account of "invisible moisture damage." There was no wrinkling, rippling or any visual signs of exposure to H2O at all.

I know two things however. (1) You can't expect to get an accurate grade off us when you show a scan where the book in question has invisible defects.

(2) CGC graders will hammer books that have been exposed to moisture.

It's just a question of degree. As for 'waviness' in square bound books? Usually caused by moisture too. And no, water damage does not always leave a stain. I've sent books back to sellers because they smelled like they had been sitting in a damp basement for ten years. No visible staining at all. The CGC graders use their noses too.

Go ahead and submit it.

Let us know what happens.

I’m not interested at all to submit books, unless they are costly books I have to sell: I buy them raw and keep them raw. :)

What I said came from various sources I heard. According to a reputable dealer selling here (which I entirely trust), the waviness of the square bound books is due to the drying process of the glue used for the binding.

I am not an expert, but as far the other question goes, I seem to get the damage due to water or liquid getting directly in contact with a book always leaves a stain, even if not so visible.

Humidity means the water is diffused as vapor, and that is may have caused the slight damage here: I could show a photo if you like, but I’ll have to remember to take it. Another seller from which I bough a VF book with slight waviness told me a very moderate waviness is acceptable. I guess it would also be fixed by pressing, but we have no such thing here, and besides I would not see the point of doing that for this book, which is for my collection and the waviness is no big deal in the end.

Seller had it advertised as a VF, anyway.

I’m not interested at all to submit books, unless they are costly books I have to sell: I buy them raw and keep them raw. :)

What I said came from various sources I heard. According to a reputable dealer selling here (which I entirely trust), the waviness of the square bound books is due to the drying process of the glue used for the binding.

I am not an expert, but as far the other question goes, I seem to get the damage due to water or liquid getting directly in contact with a book always leaves a stain, even if not so visible.

Humidity means the water is diffused as vapor, and that is may have caused the slight damage here: I could show a photo if you like, but I’ll have to remember to take it. Another seller from which I bough a VF book with slight waviness told me a very moderate waviness is acceptable. I guess it would also be fixed by pressing, but we have no such thing here, and besides I would not see the point of doing that for this book, which is for my collection and the waviness is no big deal in the end.

Seller had it advertised as a VF, anyway.

Water does not always leave a stain. In most books made with pulp paper or with any tanning it will if it saturates the paper enough. Even a single drop of water will create a "clean" area on books that have tanning or come from a house where people smoked.

You can have moisture damage without tide lines or stains. This could be a grainy appearance to parts of the cover, dull areas in the gloss of the inks or waves/puckering in the paper.

Based on my experience with CGC and their grading standards they like flat books. Books with waves from moisture will take a small hit even if the rest of the book is outstanding.

I thought about that, and I would not grade it as a VF, more a FVF at best, but I see there is room for interpretation if one does not know precisely which is CGC standards in these cases.

Curious thing, however, is that here there is neither a grainy appearance to parts of the cover, dull areas in the gloss of the inks. I have also a Sub-Mariner bought as a VF from Nick (Comicana) with very minor waviness.

If I can I will take a picture of this one, so you can see better. In the meanwhile: all the best to Joey with his health. :foryou: