• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Movie Speculation Questions and random thoughts.

40 posts in this topic

Am I missing something. The upcoming Big Hero 6 movie looks like it has nothing to do with the comic book series. Its about a large white inflatable guy which doesn't appear in the books. Then why is the Big Hero 6 books so popular?? Is a future movie planned which will involve the comic book version of Big Hero 6?

I just saw a list of all the upcoming comic book movie and they are planning out movies until 2020. That's 5 years from now! Are people really buying the hot speculation books with the intent of holding on to them for 4 or 5 years? A year or two seems like a long term speculation to me but 4 or 5 years is just plain crazy.

If you too have some movie speculation questions feel free to post them up.

I just saw a list of all the upcoming comic book movie and they are planning out movies until 2010. That's 5 years from now!

Am I in a time warp?

I hear Dark Knight Rises is going to be killer! BANE!!!!!!! Can't wait!

I just saw a list of all the upcoming comic book movie and they are planning out movies until 2010. That's 5 years from now!

Am I in a time warp?

lol

A dealer was telling me he went to see a collector who decided to buy many modern titles for the last 20 yrs as an investment. God knows how much he spent. The best ones he had to sell, or so he thought, he showed to the dealer. The dealer turned out to be interested in other ones he had. He couldn't believe how crazy the guy was to just buy everything he could for the last decade, the money he spent was not offset by the few titles he could sell at a premium.

A little off-topic but the investment frenzy that smacks some people is just a little unnerving.

Am I missing something. The upcoming Big Hero 6 movie looks like it has nothing to do with the comic book series. Its about a large white inflatable guy which doesn't appear in the books.

BH6.jpg

only difference is the color of his armor, red versus green. This was covered a while back in the BH6 thread before it derailed into AF17 pushing. Disney made him inflatable instead of more mech underneath the armor to increase the cuteness factor

Am I missing something. The upcoming Big Hero 6 movie looks like it has nothing to do with the comic book series. Its about a large white inflatable guy which doesn't appear in the books. Then why is the Big Hero 6 books so popular?? Is a future movie planned which will involve the comic book version of Big Hero 6?

I just saw a list of all the upcoming comic book movie and they are planning out movies until 2020. That's 5 years from now! Are people really buying the hot speculation books with the intent of holding on to them for 4 or 5 years? A year or two seems like a long term speculation to me but 4 or 5 years is just plain crazy.

If you too have some movie speculation questions feel free to post them up.

K summed it up pretty well:

"A person is smart. People are dumb." - MIB

IMO, the over-speculation and badly fabricated and over-produced/over-hyped story arcs are what set-off the comic book collapse in the 90's. (perhaps not the direct cause of the implosion, but they were the fuse of the explosive stock-pile that had built to that point) And I feel like the past year is that I'm watching the exact same thing happen again right in front of my eyes.

History repeats itself, though right? And those who do not learn from the past are destined to repeat it, and all that. So it won't surprise me to hear a loud flushing sound in the next few years or seasons.

I think movie hype and speculation are good, to the extent that they bring in more people into the hobby of READING comics, but this doesn't feel like a healthy trend. Hipsters by the 10's of thousands collecting for the sake of collecting, so they can hang stuff on their walls.

Case in point: I bought a comic for a friend at work who said he used to read Archies as a kid. (I picked up an extra copy of the new Sabrina). Instead of reading it, he went out and bought a frame and hung it on the wall because...that's what you do with comic now right?

:facepalm:

-T

I think it depends on your definition of speculation. I bought my BH6 books 2+ years ago on the original movie speculation/announcement. Paid probably less than $30 total for all of them, and its a fun thing to have. I wouldnt think twice about throwing a couple of bucks at ANY thing.

People DCBS ordering 100s/1000s of image number 1s to try and flip. THAT is crazy speculating.

As for a 4/5 year time frame, I think Ms Marvel will have been speculated on longer than that by the time her movie comes out.

Part of what I think is going on is that speculators and speculator money is looking for a place to go. Same reason, things like Hulk can suddenly jump by thousands of dollars in a very short time. Once something takes hold, it becomes self-perpetuating.

Until the 0% interest rate spiggots are turned off by the Fed, Comics, and everything else under the sun are going to be subject to rampant speculation and more and more extreme volatility. All the money being poured into the system out of thin air to keep the economy afloat has to end up somewhere.

Asset inflation is the main place outside of the stock market that it goes.

I've seen the ads and some posters for BH6 movie and I've wondered why they haven't pushed the "Marvel" angle at all.

It seems they are missing a major marketing opportunity. It seems that every Marvel property = Box Office Gold. You'd think they'd try and capitalize on that.

Is it because the "Disney" label is enough? Is it b/c it's a "kids" movie and not part of the Marvel (cinematic) Universe?

Part of what I think is going on is that speculators and speculator money is looking for a place to go. Same reason, things like Hulk can suddenly jump by thousands of dollars in a very short time. Once something takes hold, it becomes self-perpetuating.

Until the 0% interest rate spiggots are turned off by the Fed, Comics, and everything else under the sun are going to be subject to rampant speculation and more and more extreme volatility. All the money being poured into the system out of thin air to keep the economy afloat has to end up somewhere.

Sounds about right.

the movie isnt that far off from Claremont's mini-series!

The trailers right seem to be focusing more on Baymax and Hiro than Fred,Go-Go, Wasabi and Honey lemon but if you notice near the end of the trailer it becomes more of a Pixar Superhero Origin story. and they are all represented..

I'm actually fairly surprised they stayed so close to Claremonts vision..

Also the books are expensive because the print run is only around 20-30,000 copies per issue,

these books are very hard to find.. also don't forget Alpha Flight 16 with the Honey Lemon Cameo and introduction to Big Hero 6.. (more of an actual 1st appearance imo, pretty unique last panel)

I haven't had much luck in the northeast finding Sunfire and BH6 #1-3 in dollar bins but found a few Alpha Flights 16/17's over the last year for cover or a buck.

These were really tough to find compared to many other hot moderns/bronzes.. a similar northeast romp yielded a shortbox of BA12 just a few years ago. where as this books was tough..

The trailers right seem to be focusing more on Baymax and Hiro than Fred,Go-Go, Wasabi and Honey lemon but if you notice near the end of the trailer it becomes more of a Pixar Superhero Origin story. and they are all represented..

Also the books are expensive because the print run is only around 20-30,000 copies per issue,

these books are very hard to find.. also don't forget Alpha Flight 16 with the Honey Lemon Cameo and introduction to Big Hero 6.. (more of an actual 1st appearance imo, pretty unique last panel)

I haven't had much luck in the northeast finding Sunfire and BH6 #1-3 in dollar bins but found a few Alpha Flights 16/17's over the last year for cover or a buck.

These were really tough to find compared to many other hot moderns/bronzes.. a similar northeast romp yielded a shortbox of BA12 just a few years ago. where as this books was tough..

It looks like all these comics are readily available on eBay. They are not hard to find, just expensive. (thumbs u

Sounds about right.

No. While speculation will always encompass all markets where there is money to be made, some of these so called speculators simply do not understand basic finance and incorrectly believe that 'traditional financial investments are too much of a gamble' not realizing that there are a variety of financial instruments that can help moderate risk.

I always find it interesting that these same people who want absolutely no Government action within the financial markets would be the first people screaming for assistance if the US was gripped by a severe depression that left a lot of people out of work. Sometimes the inevitable has to happen for people to learn and grow.

I also find it interesting that some people view the collectibles market much less risky than the financial sector. I am not aware of any underlying asset backing the value of a comic book (it has NO intrinsic value) and I don't recall ever hearing of a SEC for the antiques and collectibles market. We sure as heck have no TARP's either. If you are dumb enough to buy the wrong item at the wrong time (solely for investment purposes) you pay the ultimate price, but alas you also gain a valuable lesson.

It should also be noted that a lot of the same analytical skills used to analyze price spreads and the optimum collecting grade for a given item are also used in analyzing financial markets. Ironically the whole antiques and collectibles trade is driven by nostalgia and nostalgia is also one of the most dangerous emotions to have when investing in anything.

Thanks for the info. I've never actually read any of the Big Hero 6 books but I was sure it did not include a huge inflatable white bubble guy. If the books are fairly similar to the upcoming movie then I guess the speculation makes some sense. I don't see a bunch of kids running out and buying the comics after the movie so the speculation is unfounded in my opinion but who knows.

Thanks for the info. I've never actually read any of the Big Hero 6 books but I was sure it did not include a huge inflatable white bubble guy. If the books are fairly similar to the upcoming movie then I guess the speculation makes some sense. I don't see a bunch of kids running out and buying the comics after the movie so the speculation is unfounded in my opinion but who knows.

I see Big Hero 6 as a moderate hit. It won`t be big like Guardians, but it will cause some buzz this Christmas season.