• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Movie Speculation Questions and random thoughts.

40 posts in this topic

The preview that I saw showed the marshmallow guy in that red Iron-Man type suit. (shrug)

But the marshmallow guy doesn't appear to be in the comics at all. Its kind of like Prince Namor being made into a cute fish in a Disney movie and expecting all the Sub-Mariner comic books to fly off the shelves.

The preview that I saw showed the marshmallow guy in that red Iron-Man type suit. (shrug)

But the marshmallow guy doesn't appear to be in the comics at all. Its kind of like Prince Namor being made into a cute fish in a Disney movie and expecting all the Sub-Mariner comic books to fly off the shelves.

Ahhh, ok. I didn't even know it was a comic book when I first heard about it. So I know zero about it apart from the covers posted.

Or like expecting readership of Walking Dead comics to explode when it becomes the biggest show on cable.

Or like expecting readership of Walking Dead comics to explode when it becomes the biggest show on cable.

??? The show and books have basically the same plot and involve the same characters (to a point). To the point I have a pretty good idea what is going to happen this season after reading the books. I don't see the comparison.

This book became very popular after the movie news but I don't see a marshmallow guy anywhere:

BigHeroSix_zpse7b178cb.jpg

It is the big green guy on the cover…Disney made him lovable and squishy for "marketing to kids" reasons.

Am I missing something. The upcoming Big Hero 6 movie looks like it has nothing to do with the comic book series. Its about a large white inflatable guy which doesn't appear in the books. Then why is the Big Hero 6 books so popular?? Is a future movie planned which will involve the comic book version of Big Hero 6?

The GOTG movie had almost nothing to do with the original Guardians team but that didn't stop the first appearance from blowing up. I've given up trying to explain this stuff (shrug)

Am I missing something. The upcoming Big Hero 6 movie looks like it has nothing to do with the comic book series. Its about a large white inflatable guy which doesn't appear in the books. Then why is the Big Hero 6 books so popular?? Is a future movie planned which will involve the comic book version of Big Hero 6?

The GOTG movie had almost nothing to do with the original Guardians team but that didn't stop the first appearance from blowing up. I've given up trying to explain this stuff (shrug)

Good point. Never understood that one either. I guess the name is what is drawing in the speculators.

??? The show and books have basically the same plot and involve the same characters (to a point). To the point I have a pretty good idea what is going to happen this season after reading the books. I don't see the comparison.

I meant it from a speculation perspective. If popularity of a movie/show was going to translate into an increase in readership of a comic, one would certainly expect to see that with Walking Dead. If even a fraction of those TV viewers became regular buyers of the comic after they saw the show we should have seen a significant uptick in the sales numbers for the comic. As far as I know this did not happen. Thus, I find it unlikely that the needle will be moved on this Big Hero 6, other than speculators trying to find it to sell to other speculators for more money, and once this film is released the interest will bleed away as attention is focused elsewhere. Just like usual.

I meant it from a speculation perspective. If popularity of a movie/show was going to translate into an increase in readership of a comic, one would certainly expect to see that with Walking Dead. If even a fraction of those TV viewers became regular buyers of the comic after they saw the show we should have seen a significant uptick in the sales numbers for the comic. As far as I know this did not happen. Thus, I find it unlikely that the needle will be moved on this Big Hero 6, other than speculators trying to find it to sell to other speculators for more money, and once this film is released the interest will bleed away as attention is focused elsewhere. Just like usual.

Make money short term.

"wash, rinse, repeat"

If only the stock market was this simple?

;)

Make money short term.

"wash, rinse, repeat"

;)

Now that we are looking ahead 5 years in terms of upcoming movies that a lot of "wash, rinse, and repeat". Hopefully the bubble won't burst anytime soon.

Good point. Never understood that one either. I guess the name is what is drawing in the speculators.

My favorite was turning Yondu into a southern redneck from space :cloud9:

Make money short term.

"wash, rinse, repeat"

;)

Now that we are looking ahead 5 years in terms of upcoming movies that a lot of "wash, rinse, and repeat". Hopefully the bubble won't burst anytime soon.

It all depends on when fatigue sets in and the "next big thing" fails to rise in price. It seems to me that the movies five years out are being speculated on just as heavily as nearer term movies, and that seems less sustainable to me. That's a long time to stay hot and maintain a fever pitch of interest.

Oh, and with the stock market you actually own a piece of a company that has value. That paper is backed up by an asset that you own a (very tiny, but real) piece of. There is nothing propping up the value of a comic other than another person willing to give you money for it. Not nearly the same thing.

My favorite was turning Yondu into a southern redneck from space :cloud9:

Rooker plays the same character in everything he does; Yondu just happened to be blue but was otherwise right out of WD.

Completely side question since I don't want to start up a whole new thread. I've got a Rachel Rising 1 SS CGC 9.8 that I want to sell - what venue would this book do best in? If you take selling on the boards out of the equation what site is best for pretty rare high grade modern books?

This book does not come up for sale very often so I was thinking the November ComicLink auction but that one seems to concentrate on Gold and Silver books with key Bronze. E-Bay is always an option but the nicer graded books seem to be leaving that venue in droves. I've not used MyComicShop yet but is that the best place for these types of books? I've pretty much eliminated Heritage and ComicConnect for various reasons but what is your opinion?

Completely side question since I don't want to start up a whole new thread. I've got a Rachel Rising 1 SS CGC 9.8 that I want to sell - what venue would this book do best in? If you take selling on the boards out of the equation what site is best for pretty rare high grade modern books?

This book does not come up for sale very often so I was thinking the November ComicLink auction but that one seems to concentrate on Gold and Silver books with key Bronze. E-Bay is always an option but the nicer graded books seem to be leaving that venue in droves. I've not used MyComicShop yet but is that the best place for these types of books? I've pretty much eliminated Heritage and ComicConnect for various reasons but what is your opinion?

If this helps, here's an overview of Rachel Rising books currently consigned plus recent sales:

http://www.mycomicshop.com/restocked?consignment=y&q=rachel+rising

If this helps, here's an overview of Rachel Rising books currently consigned plus recent sales:

http://www.mycomicshop.com/restocked?consignment=y&q=rachel+rising

Great customer service. I'll take a look and a PM may be coming your way. I've used you guys to fill some holes in sets but maybe I should start using you to sell some books - your prices realized is very good.