• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ummmm... when did NM 98 get so expensive?

47 posts in this topic

Someone traded a NM 98 cgc 9.8 for a Mavel spotlight 32 cgc 9.6

the trade was made with a local comic store owner in his area.

YIKES... wut a bad trade..

Sometimes you just really need to get your hands on a cover where Nick Fury is holding a pink gun I guess.

Or maybe you're a Spider-Woman fan :makepoint::facepalm:

Someone traded a NM 98 cgc 9.8 for a Mavel spotlight 32 cgc 9.6

the trade was made with a local comic store owner in his area.

YIKES... wut a bad trade..

Sometimes you just really need to get your hands on a cover where Nick Fury is holding a pink gun I guess.

Or maybe you're a Spider-Woman fan :makepoint::facepalm:

Nope, pink guns all the way!

Aren't there like 375K copies of this book?

No.

Never were.

I haven't seen empirical, but the estimated print run based on NM 97 is 253,000.

-T

That's about right. NM #97 had a substantially higher print run than #98....by about 15%.

I know you've laid out your analysis on that and that with x-tinction agenda ending they may have ordered less, and a 15% drop doesn't sound unreasonable, but when did that ever actually happen in the early 90s when a title was heating up like NM was? did x-men 297 drop off after the arc ended in 296? did asm drop from 380 to 381?

with that said, i have a bunch of 99s.

no 98s. my only 98 was snatched out of my hand by a shop owner (when it was probably a $20-$30 book a few years ago) who said "that shouldn't be in the 50 cent box".... probably for the better as I would have unloaded it that night.

grumble grumble.

My estimates are based on Cap City numbers.

X-Tinction Agenda took everyone by surprise, which is why NM #95, X-Men #270, and X-Factor #60 were 2nd printed so quickly. When New Mutants #95 came, the orders for #97 were due, and the numbers reflect the market.

NM #95 - 55k

NM #97 - 64k

NM #98 - 55k

X-Men #270 - 84k

X-Men #272 - 93k

X-Factor #60 - 59k

X-Factor #62 - 65k

So, it wasn't really that there was a dropoff, per se, as a settling back to normal.

Cap City, at the time, was pretty reflective of the market as a whole.

To "did X-Men #297 drop off after #296, or ASM #381 after #380?" Yes, substantially so:

X-Men #296 - 169k

X-Men #297 - 120k

ASM #380 - 119k

ASM #381 - 72k

Far, far more of a dropoff than for X-Tinction Agenda. 1990 wasn't the crazy times...1993, when the books above came out, was.

Aren't there like 375K copies of this book?

No.

Never were.

I haven't seen empirical, but the estimated print run based on NM 97 is 253,000.

-T

That's about right. NM #97 had a substantially higher print run than #98....by about 15%.

I know you've laid out your analysis on that and that with x-tinction agenda ending they may have ordered less, and a 15% drop doesn't sound unreasonable, but when did that ever actually happen in the early 90s when a title was heating up like NM was? did x-men 297 drop off after the arc ended in 296? did asm drop from 380 to 381?

Maybe stores cut back because it was canceled?

I imagine that stores may have cut back if people were pre-ordering batches of copies of the crossover, which I'm sure happened to some extent. How big a cutback? Who can say?

a badjillion 100s were ordered and there are a lot of 99s i think. purely anecdotal on the 99s based on my stack though. would they have known the series was cancelled when ordering 98? and it's not really cancelled, it was rebooted. series selling 250K were not cancelled.

Correct...by #98, the stores knew that #100 would be the last issue, and the series would be rebooted as X-Force. Orders for #100 would have been due around the time #98 came out.

#98 was nothing special when it came out. Nobody cared, or would care, for a few years, not until the first mini came out in 1993. The big issues at the time were #86-89, 93, and 95.