• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wholesale vintage comics?

22 posts in this topic

gary is a tight grader.

but yeah, i don't like the way he has his $2-$4 books at shows, usually with no backing boards. many are priced nicely for the condition they were in before they were put out, but they get trashed over the course of the show (and I assume he drags them out again show after show). so, basically, only fresh stock early in the show is going to be in good shape.

i don't understand dealers who do this. there was a guy at NYCC who had $3 books, but if you bought enough the price was better. no bags or boards, a lot of 70s stuff. i hit him at the end of the day on the first day when they were screaming at us to get out and did not have time to pull enough books to get the "deal" and by the time i saw him on saturday all those nice 9.0 - 9.4 BA books had been beaten down a grade or two.

once you're in the $2+ range it should have a bag and a backing board. you are destroying your inventory without it. i understand it on $1 books...it's a 9-10 cent investment, takes time, reduces how many books you can drag around and cuts into the profit margin, but a lot of those $2 books will never sell if they wind up being a grade or two less after 2 days.

About a decade ago, Lange's Sports or some such in Mich. was really good for high-grade long runs via eBay.

I got a 9.4/9.6 run of 1-15 (minus # 10) for a great rate; ditto a 9.0 average run of Werewolf by Night 5-31 (outbid on the similar 32-43 lot).

And don't fillet me, but I think Heritage Sunday auctions are the best source for generic mid-high grade Silver.I picked up a raw 7.0/8.0 run of about 40 SA Daredevil issues in about two lots from them for a decent 35-40% discount over buying them individually. I've found that to be standard -- cheaper than eBay, with predictably tight grading.

In fact, I credit the Heritage Sunday auctions as almost as instrumental as driving down the prices of 1965-1990 books as the monthly beat of auctions by Heritage, C-Link, Metro, Lone Star, etc.

Heritage's Sunday auctions over the years have proven just how common 85-90% of the Superhero comics from 1966-present are. And most (particularly raw) runs can be put together in just a few months.