• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wholesale vintage comics?

22 posts in this topic

Harsh! I recently bought a large Swamp Thing lot (Moore era) from him off ebay described as ranging from VG/F to VF/NM and they were average VF/NM or better with many NM & better. I was extremely happy with the lot!

I was picking through his bins, and someone beside me asked if he had Flash # whatever. Instead of walking around the table to look, he lifted a handful of books halfway out of the bin, and bent them backwards until he could see what issues they were. I put everything back, and walked away. If he's willing to do that to his books at a show, I can imagine the disregard for his books when no one's looking.

I've had good luck with Gary as well.

Doesn't neatstuff sell bulk lots of older books? Although, I can't say my one experience with them was great. Bought a few GA books from them some time ago - they were exceedingly over-graded. They took them back but it was painful experience.

Does kochcomics still do this? They used to IIRC.

Back when they were Koch Dolgoff Koch I did a couple big bulk deals with them and the books were bulk graded F/VF- one for Marvel squarebounds and one for Charltons. Both deals were awesome, and one of the Charltons came back CGC 9.6 unpressed. I don't think there were any books less than F/VF, but there were many better.

Back when they were Koch Dolgoff Koch I did a couple big bulk deals with them and the books were bulk graded F/VF- one for Marvel squarebounds and one for Charltons. Both deals were awesome, and one of the Charltons came back CGC 9.6 unpressed. I don't think there were any books less than F/VF, but there were many better.

Back in the day, I ordered from Joe and Peter multiple times through TBG ads. Always pleased with the condition. I think for the most part they were unread stock of BA books that I got.

I've had good luck with Gary as well.

Doesn't neatstuff sell bulk lots of older books? Although, I can't say my one experience with them was great. Bought a few GA books from them some time ago - they were exceedingly over-graded. They took them back but it was painful experience.

Does kochcomics still do this? They used to IIRC.

Neat stuff does do bulk lots of older books.

Back in the 1980's silver age comics were 20 years old and there were pallets of them in warehouses. There were also distributor finds. So at one time the there was wholesaling of silver age comics, in the 1990's there was wholesaling of bronze comics because they were 20 years old. In today's age if you have copper comics in quantity they can be found on the wholesaling. They are drying up fast and future generations will speak of the old copper age finds. I told Joe Koch about a great deal got on some high grade All-star 58's I got for $50.00 a pop. He laughed and said he used to have 3,000 copies and couldn't get a couple bucks wholesale.

I recently found a nice comic book store here in Los Angeles, it's called Pulp Fiction. They have roughly 10/15 long boxes of random comics that they sell at $1 each. I find it intriguing that you can find in these boxes multiple copies in F/VF condition of comics dated late 1970s, early 1980s. When I say multiple, I mean at least 30/40 copies of the same issue. For example, they had Spider-Woman #34, some Peter Parker and others. I wonder if these large quantities of old comics are coming from these warehouses.

OMG guys, what have you done to me. I did not know about wholesale sellers and I did not know about this Dolgoff guy. I checked his website and now I am drooling over this set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spectacular-Spider-Man-1-261-miss-2bks-Annual-1-14-SET-Sharp-90-set-3204-/351186425300?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item51c45795d4

There have been sporadic posts and the occasional Chuck R. "travels" rant that allude to large warehouses across the nation. Feeders that sell by the pallet, unknown and unavailable to the general public.

True, or urban legend?

About eight years ago,there was an ebay guy who kept putting CGC into his seller name- CGCKing, CGCseller,CGCwizard ect. He'd say all his books were mint but put pictures in to show they were mostly low grade.

He was close to my house so I took it upon myself to drop in on him. We ended up having a nice conversation about his books. He was a real estate investor and had bought a warehouse at an auction and in one of the rooms was a collection of over 150,000 books. Grand Books had rented the space over a decade before and evidently just left the books there.

There are plenty of stories like this out there. My friend Dave used to have a shop in Northern Virginia that shut down in the early 90s. When he closed it, his stock got scattered all over the place. About five years ago, he got a call from his ex-wifes Uncle. It seems he had stored around 15 boxes in the guys garage and the guy wanted them out after all these years. Two of the boxes turned out to have midgrade early SA books worth over twenty grand. The others were dollar box fodder.