• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Northland Hulk 1

105 posts in this topic

and having it listed as available on Pedigree after it's already been sold and then resold by Comiclink seems dumb..........IMHO.

youve sold comics on Pedigree right? why not ask him to chime in here and let us know whats going on....

Nice 9.2 as it doesn't have any Marvel chips on front cover. Probably glossy in person. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Yeah, great QP for an early SA Marvel, no Marvel chipping and the colors on the cover look deep and full. What is making everyone think it's such a fugly 9.2, the wear on the ULC and LLC?

Precisely........along with some very small spine nicks. i can live with the grade but i would've guessed a 9.0. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why are we applauding when a book doesn't have Marvel chipping? It shouldn't necessarily be a "plus" in my book. I mean, we are talking about a 9.2. I think the two corners ruin it for me. I would say 8.5, 9.0 on a very good day.

Are you talking about the lower bindary corner? I think it might just be an effect of the scanner. If you look at the back cover scan that corner is perfectly squared. But that top bindary corner sure shows wear.

Brian

Looks nice fer sure, something a little funky going on with the color on Hulk's chest and to the right in the question mark? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes, the area across the top half of the Hulk's head and left shoulder does look funky. The ink here should be black (like it is on his lower arm), not blue. Must be a printing glitch.

My copy may be a 2.5, but at least the colors are correct!! yay.gifyay.gifyay.giftongue.gif

How many times does CGC downgrade a book that's worth this amount? Not many, I suspect. With the amount of money at play here, it would open up a whole can of worms.

If it were cracked out of the slab and resubmitted anonymously, I suspect it may get a 9.0 this time just as easily as it did a 9.2 the first time.

But, then again, I'm just going from the scan... and, from what I hear, it looks much better in person.

Playing devil's advocate,

How many times does CGC downgrade a book that's worth this amount? Not many, I suspect. With the amount of money at play here, it would open up a whole can of worms.

They downgraded the PC Hulk #1 I believe.

Nice 9.2 as it doesn't have any Marvel chips on front cover. Probably glossy in person. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Yeah, great QP for an early SA Marvel, no Marvel chipping and the colors on the cover look deep and full. What is making everyone think it's such a fugly 9.2, the wear on the ULC and LLC?

Thats exactly it. There is far too much wear on the corners for a 9.2. A very nice book though.

It's been resubmitted and it continues to get a 9.2 grade.

The book actually looks much better in person (but I did see it in a kinda dark restaurant).

It must. If thats true then we all have to re-remember not to grade scans if others have graded the actual book.

Correct. If I remember correctly, it was downgraded from an 8.5 to an 8.0.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Correct. If I remember correctly, it was downgraded from an 8.5 to an 8.0.

There's actually a real good chance that the PC copy was bought second hand. The reason why is that Hulk #1 issue date is May 62. I pretty sure the oldest know FF Pacific Coast copy is #7 with an Oct 62 issue date. Plus I believe there are a few early TTA's (prior to Oct 62) that aren't in very high grade.

Regarding why the book is still on Doug's site? Probably because he forgot to remove it from the VAULT. Doug like Josh, takes a very long time to remove books that have been sold from their sites.

This surprises me. Both, and most other dealers, are VERY quick to make sure their site trumpets a big sale or a record sale, and IH #1 at $75K would certainly qualify as both. Doug is usually pretty good about recording sales from the Vault promptly.

I met with Doug in November as he picked up a large number of my cgc doubles to sell and way back then he told me that he hold sold the Hulk 1 and i said at the time that I thought that wa s a fantastic price - far above what I believe the book is worth. Have never seen it in person but the scan does not represent a nm- book to me. And if a collector supposedly bought the book and has now flipped it a few months later on another site for a few thousand more, I am not surprised at all. That's what high grade comic collecting seems to be these days and it seems like Comiclink is the place to do it. But I bet the guy who bought the book from Doug won't be talking him down on book prices again - just like the guys who bought books from Bob and then resold them a few weeks later.

This surprises me. Both, and most other dealers, are VERY quick to make sure their site trumpets a big sale or a record sale, and IH #1 at $75K would certainly qualify as both. Doug is usually pretty good about recording sales from the Vault promptly.

He may have some sort of agreement with Gemstone to let them have the exclusive on the reporting of the sale. They did put the sale on the cover of the December Overstreet, and exclusive sales reporting is something that I could see them thinking is of value to get people to buy the mag.

If they paid him for the article, which is quite possible given the explicit details they printed in it, exclusivity seems likely to me.

Regarding why the book is still on Doug's site? Probably because he forgot to remove it from the VAULT. Doug like Josh, takes a very long time to remove books that have been sold from their sites.

Except that Doug got $75,000 in TRADE. Therefore, it would be misleading to say sold for $75,000 on his site (or show a SALE PENDING by the book).

He may have some sort of agreement with Gemstone to let them have the exclusive on the reporting of the sale. They did put the sale on the cover of the December Overstreet, and exclusive sales reporting is something that I could see them thinking is of value to get people to buy the mag.

If they paid him for the article, which is quite possible given the explicit details they printed in it, exclusivity seems likely to me.

Gemstone does not pay dealers to write market reports, report sales, or be advisors for the big guide or the monthly.

Gemstone does not pay dealers to write market reports, report sales, or be advisors for the big guide or the monthly.

Like he said.

I think you are confusing the Overstreet Bulletin with journalism.... just cause its a magazine doesnt mean its structured internally anything like a news publication. They just slap together whatever they have or comes in the door the best way they can and meet the deadlines. Not a knock on them, but it would be wrong to exaggerate their procedures. Ill bet signing up a dealer for "Exclusive Reports" has never even occurred to Bob (or a dealer) since he's been getting them for free for 35 years. To a dealer, their sales info and name printed in the magazine is FREE PUBLICITY, unless they are ranked by or connected to the number of ads the dealers take out. That I can believe. So in actuality, its teh dealers paying Gemstone to take their reports: buy ads, become a market reporter.