• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has CGC High Grade Comics Killed the fun in Collecting Lower Grades?

41 posts in this topic

CGC hasn't had an iota of negative impact on my 12 year old. He started by getting beat-but-complete reader copies from me of Silver Age Marvels, fell in love with the work and imagination of the masters Lee, Kirby and Ditko. Now, he attends cons with wantlist in hand, reads, bags, boards, and inventories his low grade purchases. There's still plenty of room in the hobby for low grade. In my family, it's just the way it should be: high grade slabs for the long-collecting Dadster, and the love of reading and collecting comics in low grade form in my son.

That is so cool! 893applaud-thumb.gif I hope my daughter will have interest in comics when she's older, I plan to help her to learn to read using comic books, the same way my Dad did with me.

Ummm, she's a GIRL? poke2.gif

To be honest, I'm not sure I have ever met a girl who was interested in comic books. Maybe one, but strictly for reading purposes, not collecting.

Uh, the owner of the only complete DC collection in the world poke2.gif is a girl.

True, but I've never met her. grin.gif

I'm not sure I have ever met a girl who was interested in comic books.

Anyway, that's one, maybe two that I know of in the world. I'm sure there are plenty, I just don't see them. All the girls I saw at WWTX were girlfriends who were being dragged there by their boyfriends (mine included). 27_laughing.gif

I'm not sure I have ever met a girl who was interested in comic books.

Anyway, that's one, maybe two that I know of in the world. I'm sure there are plenty, I just don't see them. All the girls I saw at WWTX were girlfriends who were being dragged there by their boyfriends (mine included). 27_laughing.gif

My girlfriend and her twin sister are #3 and #4. They've been to the local con in my area even more times than I have!!! blush.gif They also collect many of the titles you'd sterotypically expect a girl to buy--TV and movie titles, Wonder Woman, DC issues with superpets on the covers (such as Krypto and Streaky), etc. No pre-code horror for them! wink.gif

I've said this before in slightly altered form, but my take on the CGC phenom is basically this:

CGC is still NEW. So it makes total sense that high-grade fever has taken the hobby by storm these past few years. Before CGC nobody was ever able to say "I own the best copy" when it came to common but desirable books (particularly late silver, and bronze). Now people have that opportunity, and so the money is comin' in...

While multiples will probably stay a fixture for 9.4 and up, as collectors always love books in true NM, I think in time the noveltly of owning the highest graded copy of a seventies book (or later) will wear thin, and those 9.8s are going to come down in price considerably. Eventually, the hobby will mature and people will stop looking at the label only, and start thinking more about what's inside that adorable plastic prison. Truely rare books----and I'm talking about books that have 200 or less copies floating around in any grade---will always be desirable, and once the CGC fever cools, collectors will likely start shopping once more for the "thing itself."

My two cents, anywho. tongue.gif

I've said this before in slightly altered form, but my take on the CGC phenom is basically this:

CGC is still NEW. So it makes total sense that high-grade fever has taken the hobby by storm these past few years. Before CGC nobody was ever able to say "I own the best copy" when it came to common but desirable books (particularly late silver, and bronze). Now people have that opportunity, and so the money is comin' in...

While multiples will probably stay a fixture for 9.4 and up, as collectors always love books in true NM, I think in time the noveltly of owning the highest graded copy of a seventies book (or later) will wear thin, and those 9.8s are going to come down in price considerably. Eventually, the hobby will mature and people will stop looking at the label only, and start thinking more about what's inside that adorable plastic prison. Truely rare books----and I'm talking about books that have 200 or less copies floating around in any grade---will always be desirable, and once the CGC fever cools, collectors will likely start shopping once more for the "thing itself."

My two cents, anywho. tongue.gif

thats a good 2 cents worth i agree, also i think that as time goes on they wont want to open the cases and they'll have to go out and buy the lower grades if they want to show their prized issue off on the interior art and story and such. thanks 893applaud-thumb.gif

yeap, i am going to start a lower grade forum 5. grade comics are very cool and i am going to look for more these comics are very cool and demand respect, i collect everything and anything older than Bronze-Age 6.00 and below. whats your take comic collector?

takeit.gif

CGC hasn't had an iota of negative impact on my 12 year old. He started by getting beat-but-complete reader copies from me of Silver Age Marvels, fell in love with the work and imagination of the masters Lee, Kirby and Ditko. Now, he attends cons with wantlist in hand, reads, bags, boards, and inventories his low grade purchases. There's still plenty of room in the hobby for low grade. In my family, it's just the way it should be: high grade slabs for the long-collecting Dadster, and the love of reading and collecting comics in low grade form in my son.

That is so cool! 893applaud-thumb.gif I hope my daughter will have interest in comics when she's older, I plan to help her to learn to read using comic books, the same way my Dad did with me.

Ummm, she's a GIRL? poke2.gif

To be honest, I'm not sure I have ever met a girl who was interested in comic books. Maybe one, but strictly for reading purposes, not collecting.

Uh, the owner of the only complete DC collection in the world poke2.gif is a girl.

I know Ian can seem a bit catty at times, but come on, was that really necessary? tongue.gif

I collect 6.0-9.0 exclusively and I for one am glad CGC is around and that people are paying crazy multiples for super HG stuff. It takes collecting dollars and competition away from what I collect and allows me to get some great deals (at least to my mind). There has never been a huge demand for stuff in the fine or very fine range, but demand right now is in the basement, which makes it a good time to buy I guess....

Andy, you summed up exactly how I collect, and probably how many other people collect as well. thumbsup2.gif

Same here. I have NO desire to enter the high-grade arena. On this site, I share everyone's love for comics, but I'd rather not have the stress that comes with handling high-grade comics ("Oh my God, I had chocolate on my finger when I handled that issue and I didn't realize it! I just lost half my money!"). This a hobby for me, for fun and entertainment. I don't want comics to become a commodity (to me). And since I'm going after full runs, it makes more sense to me to get lower-grade comics so I can get more comics for the same amount of money.

I want to have the comics so I can READ them. My investment dollars are elsewhere. That's just my approach. To each his own. But there are probably more low-/mid-grade collectors here than you think.

I want to have the comics so I can READ them. My investment dollars are elsewhere. That's just my approach. To each his own. But there are probably more low-/mid-grade collectors here than you think.

I slum for low grade books myself every once in a while. I picked up a 9.2 the other day. tongue.gif

I slum for low grade books myself every once in a while. I picked up a 9.2 the other day. tongue.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gifstooges.gif

I don't know about collecting books below 5.0 but I do buy books below 5.0. 6.0 and above are for collecting, below that are for fun. There is a difference. I do think the lower grade books bring fans in that cannot afford to pay $12,000 and above for X-Men #1 in High Grade. Start them out at a G- book at $400.00 and you have a collector.

Then you have collectors who buy low grade bronze issues of Flash and FF. Hey, I do it to at conventions. Get them as cheap as I can. Everybody does it, some of the stories are great!

Well, the Northwest conventions are getting better, especially here in Oregon!

One of my favorite recent purchases is a 4.0 X-men #13. It's not worth a whole lot, but I enjoy looking at the cover knowing that I own a silver age X-book. grin.gif

yes i know what you mean 2 of my favorite comics i own are creepy #1 6.0 fine and mad #11 4.0

and there are several thousand others i like thumbsup2.gifThe Serious Collector of Comics

I'm watching an interesting auction that ends today. It's a CGC 5.0 Batman 121. GPA lists that there was a restored 5.0 that sold for $120 last year, and an unrestored 6.0 that sold for $172.50. The 5.0 that ends today is selling for $212.50. Overstreet lists it for $115 in 5.0. I figured a linear comparison for CGC graded to be approximately $144. I'm shocked to see it over $200! I guess there's still a demand for lower graded comics.

Batman #121 CGC 5.0

batman from 90 - 140 are rare in high grade. I should know i've been looking for a while now. as for the rest, I only collect the high grade because it is a hobby and is fun, but later, when i want to sell them, I am hoping for a decent return for my money. even if i lose money, I had fun looking for that hcgc book. to each his own. It definitely is harder to go into the back issue bins and come out with anything i want now, though.