• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where do you find a list of all the smaller comic shows?

17 posts in this topic

Is there a good place to see what smaller comic cons are coming to my area. The big cons are easy to keep track of but shows like the Akron comic con doesn't show up on most searches. I have some luck checking out Craigslist announcements but is there a good site set up for the small shows? Thanks for the help.

Didn't know about that site so thanks for posting that.

However, there are small shows that don't even make it onto that list.

Smaller shows typically use local comic shops to advertise themselves.

Yup. this still happens a lot, even in 2014.

There are a couple of small shows here in CT that actually have their own website biut they really work on word of mouth. The locals know about these shows but anyone farther away would have no idea.

For any of those type of shows you become aware of please post them to the event thread here. It's always frustrating to find out that you missed a show that you totally would have checked out, and you never know when a small show you uncover would appeal to someone else. I always try to post any shows I become aware of, and keep the threads bumped in a timely fashion, but these are typically the larger Wizard-level shows or smaller shows in my immediate area that I become aware of. If others posted their regional shows we'd get a better idea of the possibilities.

For any of those type of shows you become aware of please post them to the event thread here. It's always frustrating to find out that you missed a show that you totally would have checked out, and you never know when a small show you uncover would appeal to someone else. I always try to post any shows I become aware of, and keep the threads bumped in a timely fashion, but these are typically the larger Wizard-level shows or smaller shows in my immediate area that I become aware of. If others posted their regional shows we'd get a better idea of the possibilities.

Great idea. I went to a small show in Canton that I heard about the day of the show. I probably should have posted the details on the boards but never even thought about it. I'll post up the details for the Akron show in a couple weeks.

I found one in Fairview Park last week from the good old fashioned newspaper.

Send me the heads up if you see another one close to us. I never seem to hear about them until it's too late.

Ok, will do. (thumbs u Here is the site and schedule. There's another one coming up March 15. It's a twice-a-year show:

http://www.harpercomics.com/conventions.php?show=6&date=82

I just picked up a couple of later TTAs to round out my collection. I was eyeing an ASM 1 and a DD1 both in low grade, together would've been just over $1k, but I ultimately decided against it for current budgetary reasons.

Ok, will do. (thumbs u Here is the site and schedule. There's another one coming up March 15. It's a twice-a-year show:

http://www.harpercomics.com/conventions.php?show=6&date=82

I just picked up a couple of later TTAs to round out my collection. I was eyeing an ASM 1 and a DD1 both in low grade, together would've been just over $1k, but I ultimately decided against it for current budgetary reasons.

I added the next two shows on the list to the event page. I'll try to keep up with future shows, but if someone local (who will be more likely to remember than me) could post future shows that'd be cool.

It would be awesome if the even thread could be split by state :idea:

Or make it a rule that each event listed in the thread should start with the state name in all caps. I gave up trying to find smaller cons in that thread because I couldn't always tell what state they were in and they quickly fade to 4pgs back as the popular cons get bumped to the front pages. Just my 2c

Or make it a rule that each event listed in the thread should start with the state name in all caps. I gave up trying to find smaller cons in that thread because I couldn't always tell what state they were in and they quickly fade to 4pgs back as the popular cons get bumped to the front pages. Just my 2c

I always try to put at least the city in the event title if it isn't obvious where the show is being held. It mystifies me when people don't do this, and sometimes folks don't even put the dates in the title. I think it might be unwieldy to split the event thread up too much, but if people make their thread titles helpful hopefully that should help with this problem. :)

Is there a good place to see what smaller comic cons are coming to my area.

One trick is to find out who the top couple of "road dog" show dealers are and just ask them. Or go to one con and ask exhibitors what other shows they are doing. If I wanted to hit a bunch of smaller shows, mall shows, etc. I'd just talk to 2-3 California con dealers I know.

I always try to put at least the city in the event title if it isn't obvious where the show is being held. It mystifies me when people don't do this, and sometimes folks don't even put the dates in the title. I think it might be unwieldy to split the event thread up too much, but if people make their thread titles helpful hopefully that should help with this problem. :)

My thinking was that if there was a standard format for listing your con in that thread, then a simple search would allow you to pull up all the cons in your state. Ie "OHIO: Example Con , 1/1/2015". Then I could just search "OHIO:" and pull up all the cons for that state. Right now there's no standard way of doing it. There's a suggested way at the top of the thread but everyone does it differently. :(

My thinking was that if there was a standard format for listing your con in that thread, then a simple search would allow you to pull up all the cons in your state. Ie "OHIO: Example Con , 1/1/2015". Then I could just search "OHIO:" and pull up all the cons for that state. Right now there's no standard way of doing it. There's a suggested way at the top of the thread but everyone does it differently. :(

The suggested way is to put the name, date, and city in the title, and just about everyone follows that original set of guidelines. (shrug)