• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My First "fake" CGC slabbed book

87 posts in this topic

That won't prevent label swapping though.

Nothing will prevent all forms of fraud, but at least it would have nipped the "fake label printers" in the bud. I can remember having conversations about the labels and lack of security/holographs and getting snotty "our slabs cannot be tampered with" replies.

It just reminds me what a "fly by night" operation CGC was when they first opened the doors, much like many other companies.

I wonder how difficult it would be for CGC to put some type of watermark on their labels before they're put in the slab.

They really should have put a tamper-proof holographic image on the first-generation labels (people even suggested it on here and were told "our slabs are tamper-proof" :sumo: ), but that didn't happen until much later.

I was about to post this idea.

I'm surprise they haven't done already.

I think the new CGC labels include a holograph logo, don't they?

It's on the case, not on the label.

I wonder how difficult it would be for CGC to put some type of watermark on their labels before they're put in the slab.

They really should have put a tamper-proof holographic image on the first-generation labels (people even suggested it on here and were told "our slabs are tamper-proof" :sumo: ), but that didn't happen until much later.

Our labs are tamper-proof and the Titanic was unsinkable. If people can forge USD $100 notes they can tamper with a CGC slab.

Question : not that I have a concern regarding some of my cgc graded books, but I notice a few things and was wondering if anyone knows about them.

On some of the rear cgo plastic slabs are in the upper portion a "R" or what looks like a "I".

Some don't have that. Any idea !

Also I noticed I have a few books where the cgc label does not perfectly fit in the pre determined area, if you look closely that area has little plastic corners, and some of my labels seem bigger, or the area is too small ?

Anyone any idea ?

wondering if anyone can explain the in the plastic stamped letters, as written above.

i have a few cases with "R" and some with "I" and most with nothing.

also about the size of the cgc label and the area it should go in...

anyone ?

wondering if anyone can explain the in the plastic stamped letters, as written above.

anyone ?

I don't know about the "R" and "I", but that other thing you are describing about the label is true of all cgc slabs. The label sticks up out of the inner well on the two corners/sides.

Looking at two slabs I have in front of me, one has a backwards "P" stamped on the back, the other has a backwards "K".

anyone ?

I don't know about the "R" and "I", but that other thing you are describing about the label is true of all cgc slabs. The label sticks up out of the inner well on the two corners/sides.

Looking at two slabs I have in front of me, one has a backwards "P" stamped on the back, the other has a backwards "K".

I haven't noticed those letters, but they may simply designate which mold a particular slab came out of—something CGC would need to keep track of for quality control purposes.