• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Powerful Letters in the back of Comics…

5 posts in this topic

About a week or so ago, I decided to start re-reading ASM 50-150 as I'd filled in my gaps in the run. I don't usually read the letters pages, but I give them a quick skim for fun. Just now, I was caught off guard by sort of a powerful message:

unnamed-1_zpsffbac655.jpg

It seems like Stan Lee was firmly against the war.

Has anyone seen other similar letters?

About a week or so ago, I decided to start re-reading ASM 50-150 as I'd filled in my gaps in the run. I don't usually read the letters pages, but I give them a quick skim for fun. Just now, I was caught off guard by sort of a powerful message:

I wouldn't say he was against the war. Back in those days, and technically a few years before, Marvel was blatantly anti-communist. Thor, Captain America, and the Avengers all went to Vietnam, or a thinly veiled analog of same, and fought the Communists and Viet Cong.

Of course Stan, who kept pretty close to his college age readers, was cautious in later years not to alienate any groups. There were plenty of letters ranging from John Birchers to (what was then considered) college radicals.

P.S. -and edit: coincidentally, I am re-reading FF 44- 102 and while perusing the letters pages I was reminded of the letter you pointed out.

I wouldn't say he was against the war. Back in those days, and technically a few years before, Marvel was blatantly anti-communist. Thor, Captain America, and the Avengers all went to Vietnam, or a thinly veiled analog of same, and fought the Communists and Viet Cong.

Of course Stan, who kept pretty close to his college age readers, was cautious in later years not to alienate any groups. There were plenty of letters ranging from John Birchers to (what was then considered) college radicals.

P.S. -and edit: coincidentally, I am re-reading FF 44- 102 and while perusing the letters pages I was reminded of the letter you pointed out.

Interesting points. I'd never thought about it like that.