• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics Subscription Service: Review

5 posts in this topic

Hello Friends,

I know that most of us do not like the idea of receiving new comic books in simple individual bags and delivered by the post office as magazines, but I thought some of you may enjoy my view on the Marvel's Subscription Service.

I have subscribed to a couple of titles in the past weeks, as a test to see how the system worked and whether it can be an alternative to other comic book stores online.

Short answer: yes, if you don't care about the status of your comics and the time needed to get them. Viceversa, no.

Pros

Price: it is cheaper than DCBS and it includes shipping. Also, the price is blocked even if a single issue costs more or if the series gets bumped in price. I paid my subscription 50% off their cover price, no taxes and shipping included.

Customer Service: it's great. They have a chat system online and you can speak with a representative anytime during the day.

Control Panel: very nice. You can see how many issues you still have in your subscription, how many issues are at the printers and how many have been shipped to you.

Cons

Delivery Time: it takes a loooong time to get your comics. At the time of this post, Amazing Spider-Man 8 is already out, but the most recent issue I have received is Amazing Spider-Man 6. I am still waiting for Amazing Spider-Man 7.

Erratic Delivery: you may get issues mixed up. I subscribed to Edge of Spider-Man. At the time of this post, I have received #1, 2 and 4. I miss #3. I have not called customer service yet, as I am pretty sure that the issue is still in the mail system.

Conditions: I was expecting worse, but the comic book you receive is still in less than near mint condition. I would say VF+. They ship the comic book in a thin backing board (with printed info on it) and a plastic bag (the same one used with magazines). My postman is a nice guy and he does not bend my comics, but they still have stress on the spine and sometimes some issues on the corners. These are completely readable copies and a normal user would not notice anything, but of course we are not normal users.

I hope the above is helpful. Feel free to ask me any question you may have.

So you pay half price to get off condition books months late.

I suspect you could find a forumite to sell you their used books that would be in better shape for the same price.

This is true :D

xxx ooo

Rupp

It all depends on your mail man. When I was in college, there wasn't a comic store in the town I lived in. When I lived in one apartment, my books would be beat to hell. My mail lady would just shove em in the box. One year when I went away, she literally folded them in half to make them fit. I moved a year later and got my books in prestine condition.

The timing was all over the place too. Sometimes I got them a few weeks early and sometimes a few weeks later. If you miss an issue or get them in horrible shape, you could just call and they'd send you a new one no questions asked.