• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you struggle with the other universe?

3 posts in this topic

For most of my formative years, I was a Marvel zombie. It wasn't until OMD that the magic of the universe was washed away and I really started branching out. I've been pulling Batman for years now, and even now I'm pulling Superman.

I bought 52 off someone as I love Rucka and have been enjoying Batman Eternal. I've always heard good things about it, but I'm confused reading it.

Clearly, the story is bogged down in continuity. As I read more, I'm able to piece it together, but I find it hard to follow.

It isn't the first time I've struggled with DC titles that I'm sure I would enjoy if I knew more.

Does anyone have similar troubles? Does anyone have them with Marvel instead of DC?

For most of my formative years, I was a Marvel zombie. It wasn't until OMD that the magic of the universe was washed away and I really started branching out. I've been pulling Batman for years now, and even now I'm pulling Superman.

I bought 52 off someone as I love Rucka and have been enjoying Batman Eternal. I've always heard good things about it, but I'm confused reading it.

Clearly, the story is bogged down in continuity. As I read more, I'm able to piece it together, but I find it hard to follow.

It isn't the first time I've struggled with DC titles that I'm sure I would enjoy if I knew more.

Does anyone have similar troubles? Does anyone have them with Marvel instead of DC?

I started my comic reading as a Marvel zombie mostly. (Avengers was around issue 200 and Thor was around issue 300 when I started.) Then I got into Valiant (1st time around) and slowly started weening myself off of Marvel. Avengers Disassembled was when I stopped Marvel cold. I always dabbled in DC, but was never a huge DC follower. I've tried to read Marvel comics again over the years, but they are incestuous and slow. Marvel characters behave or act nothing like they use to which is funny since what... 8 years have gone by in the universe. lol It's not so much that I find them confusing as I outgrew superhero comics. (shrug)

What I find exciting in comics today is the creator owned books. Image has some terrific books. Boom Studios, IDW, and Dark Horse have put out some terrific books as well. Not a deep continuity to get immersed in and you don't need to follow a bazillion titles.