• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alternative to archival tape which darkens…

19 posts in this topic

…like Filmoplast, which I have been using but after a short timespan gets dark (and it’s not even so good to remove).

I recall once a board member advised me on some other brand but I can’t remember its name… :shrug:

Thanks everyone! (thumbs u

(Inspired by the "tape pulls" thread in Comics General… :D )

…like Filmoplast, which I have been using but after a short timespan gets dark (and it’s not even so good to remove).

I recall once a board member advised me on some other brand but I can’t remember its name… :shrug:

Probably Lineco Document Repair Tape. Easily found at most art supply places and online.

http://www.lineco.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=579

Probably Lineco Document Repair Tape. Easily found at most art supply places and online.

http://www.lineco.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=579

That is what I have used. I got it from Amazon.

Everytime I hear about someone using any kind of tape, it makes me sad. :(

By "tape" I mean archival material, based on paper, not plastic tape. I would not use plastic tape and I have to fix somehow old books and comics which otherwise would get damaged each and every time I handle them.

If I had some knowledge in book restoration, I would use rice paper or whatever, but since I don’t I was trying to find the best option which would not yellow and for me it’s all good as they preserve the book or magazine from having further damage… :)

Why?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but since you will continue using pressure sensitive tape regardless of my response, isn't your question moot?

The question isn't moot and, to be blunt, the wrong way is an easy way to take it.

I don't use tape. I don't do restoration. I studied it very deeply in the late 80s and 90s. Not to be a restorer or conservationist but because I was fascinated with the processes. I even converted the bedroom of my apartment into a resto lab and slept in the living room.

Much has changed with restoration, especially over the last few years. THAT is what made me ask "Why?"

To just make a blanket statement without explanation does no good for anyone.

The "wrong way"? I have the impression american comic book collectors tend to read everything through the preconceived idea they have elaborated specifically about comic books. I need to repair any kind of paper object (books, magazines et al) when they have tears or defects which would make them dangerous to handle, with the danger of ruining them furtherly. :shrug:

Besides, I don’t consider such kind of "paper-base" tape, tape.

Doesn’t any kind of repair (except leaf casting) adds some kind of glue?

If you have a better solution, I am happy to adopt it. :)

The "wrong way"? I have the impression american comic book collectors tend to read everything through the preconceived idea they have elaborated specifically about comic books. I need to repair any kind of paper object (books, magazines et al) when they have tears or defects which would make them dangerous to handle, with the danger of ruining them furtherly. :shrug:

Back in the day I used the Lineco document tape (an archival paper backed tape - looked and felt like a very thin Japan paper.) I also used the more traditional Japan paper with wheat paste as well. Both worked well.

The Lineco can be removed with Naptha or other mineral spirits. Naptha is a great solvent (no flames nearby and good ventilation when you use it) as it evaporates fully and leaves no residue.

The wheat paste can be removed with water. (At least it was in my day - not sure about now.) For me the problem with the water is the removing of sizing from the paper and a different feel/look to the paper, even when sizing was "added back". Again, not sure how the 21st century methods handle the water impact on newsprint as regards sizing.

As far as cellophane tapes I agree they are ill-advised. But just a blanket condemnation of all tape is like a blanket condemnation of all restoration: a large umbrella that does not distinguish details.

Why?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but since you will continue using pressure sensitive tape regardless of my response, isn't your question moot?

The question isn't moot and, to be blunt, the wrong way is an easy way to take it.

I don't use tape. I don't do restoration. I studied it very deeply in the late 80s and 90s. Not to be a restorer or conservationist but because I was fascinated with the processes. I even converted the bedroom of my apartment into a resto lab and slept in the living room.

Much has changed with restoration, especially over the last few years. THAT is what made me ask "Why?"

Fair enough, we can talk specifically about the Lineco if you wish.

My question to you would be why did you recommend that particular tape? What makes it a good choice?

If I were to make a recommendation, I would first make sure we are talking about comics only, and the impact of conserving/restoring a comic.

Then if you were okay with it being conserved/restored, I would recommend you using a water based adhesive such as wheat, gelatin, or Methyl cellulose. Any conservation mending tissue would be fine, but thinner looks better.

Why?

My question to you would be why did you recommend that particular tape? What makes it a good choice?

I answered the OPs question about an archival tape that didn't darken. I was sure Lineco was what he was trying to remember. (see the first post in this thread).

As regards my experiences with Lineco vs japan paper/wheat paste, I addressed that in a previous post (see quote below).

Back in the day I used the Lineco document tape (an archival paper backed tape - looked and felt like a very thin Japan paper.) I also used the more traditional Japan paper with wheat paste as well. Both worked well.

The Lineco can be removed with Naptha or other mineral spirits. Naptha is a great solvent (no flames nearby and good ventilation when you use it) as it evaporates fully and leaves no residue.

The wheat paste can be removed with water. (At least it was in my day - not sure about now.) For me the problem with the water is the removing of sizing from the paper and a different feel/look to the paper, even when sizing was "added back". Again, not sure how the 21st century methods handle the water impact on newsprint as regards sizing.

As far as cellophane tapes I agree they are ill-advised. But just a blanket condemnation of all tape is like a blanket condemnation of all restoration: a large umbrella that does not distinguish details.

Why?

I answered the OPs question about an archival tape that didn't darken. I was sure Lineco was what he was trying to remember. (see the first post in this thread).

As regards my experiences with Lineco vs japan paper/wheat paste, I addressed that in a previous post (see quote below).

There are two things about the Lineco that concern me. First is reversibility. As I am sure you know, Naphtha will clean the cover, so applied locally to the area surrounding the tape would likely cause tide-lines. To avoid tide-lines, you would have to clean the whole cover, and that would be considered restoration. Worse case is you could end up with a tape pull, or possibly that paper would still be tacky after the carrier is lifted off.

Second, CGC differentiates tape to have a cellophane or similar carrier, but the Lineco appears, and by your description, that it looks and feels like japan paper, which would probably be considered conservation, and get a purple label anyways.

Why?

There are two things about the Lineco that concern me. First is reversibility. As I am sure you know, Naptha will clean the cover, so applied locally to the area surrounding the tape would likely cause tide-lines. To avoid tide-lines, you would have to clean the whole cover, and that would be considered restoration. Worse case is you could end up with a tape pull, or possibly that paper would still be tacky after the carrier is lifted off.

Second, CGC differentiates tape to have a cellophane or similar carrier, but the Lineco appears, and by your description, that it looks and feels like japan paper, which would probably be considered conservation, and get a purple label anyways.

I have never used Naphtha as an actual cleaner per se (it really isn't a cleaner like water based methods are.) It DOES, with cover detach and full immersion, dissolve the green oil stain on the inside of covers (works like a champ on that.)

It also works well to remove cellophane tape. It can be laborious (I used to do it outside and with rubber gloves) for localized tape removal with a book that is still assembled, but I have used it on covers and inside pages with no tidelines. , as long as you are thorough. And that's with cello tape. Yes, there is staining but that was already there from the aging of the adhesive.

I am not recommending your use Lineco in place of what you already use, but you should at least check it out in person if you can. I think you'll be surprised. Great for things like just repairing torn magazines, books etc as well without mixing the paste, cutting the japan paper, applying etc.

Just a general fyi, this would get a "Purple/Blue" label (purple top strip and blue label body) with a Conserved title. Its at the end of this page:

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/news/ViewArticle.aspx?IDArticle=4030&

Thanks everyone for the replies (which I will read in detail).

And to answer MasterControlProgram… No, it’s not just for comics, not just for american comic books, but for whatever old book or comic.

Clearly if I will have to deal with a 16th century book, I will ask for advice, but I have some 19th century books, and comics (from all countries) from the 1930s to the 1960s.

Before restarting collecting three years ago I would not have thought of such a sensitive attitude in "restored" comics in american comics collecting, if it’s for my collection I don’t care and honestly I care a little in general, as long as the repairs are very discreet. :)

Obviously I wasn’t talking of plastic based tape, I used "archival tape" meaning paper or fiber-based tape alone, and I think that Lineco was what was suggested to me in the first place time ago. Using a tissue and applying an adhesive is too complicate for what I have in mind, I prefer a commercial "tape".