• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Doc Strange bronze age runs?

8 posts in this topic

There are a lot.

The Frank Brunner-drawn issues from Marvel Premiere were terrific. (The first issue of the Dr. Strange run and a great Barry Smith story.)

In his own series, Frank Brunner continued with Steve Englehart writing for a while then Gene Colan took over. That lasted until around issue 30.

Then it was hit or miss for a while, mostly because there were a lot of changes in creative teams.

However, starting around issue 45 or so, Roger Stern took over. And it was amazing. He had a good series of artists working with him, including Marshall Rogers, Paul Smith, and Kerry Gammil, and his run lasted for a few years.

I think a lot of these have been reprinted in the Essentials books.

The BA Doctor Strange title had, imo, the greatest run of covers (and accompanying artsits) overall than any other series. From Brunner to those others mentioned in the previous post as well Golden, Dan Green, etc.

Marshal Rogers and Mike Golden for me, please!

The Frank Brunner art in Marvel Premiere #6 through #14 and the first five issues of Doctor Strange (1974) was phenomenal. I also enjoyed the Paul Smith issues.

+1

These are the best Bronze Age stories.

After Brunner and then Englehart left, the series kind of meandered. There are some long sagas - and I mean, really long considering the book was bi-monthly, meaning a couple of the stories would have taken 2+ years to read if you were buying it at the time - but most of them fizzled due to weak endings or random creative changes. Not that they are bad, just frustratingly not great.

Once Stern took over around #50, the series got really good again, but those I would consider Copper Age books. #50-81 and Strange Tales vol. 2 #1-18 is my favorite Dr. Strange era (or eras - the Peter B. Gillis run is really it's own unique thing).