• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectibles are worthless...

305 posts in this topic

"If you buy an ounce of gold today and you hold it a hundred years, you can go to it every day and you could coo to it and fondle it and a hundred years from now, you’ll have one ounce of gold and it won’t have done anything for you in between. You buy 100 acres of farm land and it will produce for you every year. You can buy more farmland, and all kinds of things, and you still have 100 acres of farmland at the end of 100 years. [A] decent productive asset will kill an unproductive asset"

--Warren Buffett

gone-with-the-wind.jpg

I don't know if collectibles are a U.S. thing, but I'm starting to think that the crazy amounts of money spent, were spent on something that is so illiquid unless you're living in the U.S. so anyway, I live in the UAE (Dubai) and a few months back I wanted to sell some of my valuable comics on a popular classified site, but there was no interest what so ever. People were even messaging me and telling me I was crazy to expect to get that much for a comic book. We are talking comics like Spiderman #50, 122, Hulk 181 etc.

I see the same thing happening with Legos now, and it seems to have become a fad right after the Lego movie, people hoarding sets hoping they'll sell them for huge profits. But at the end of the day, as much as you might love the blocks, no one in their right mind is going to pay $5,000 for a toy. Collectibles just present an illusion of gold, but they are not worth anything.

So essentially what you're saying is that because you couldn't sell comics locally, via classified ads, those comics are worthless?

Further, because no one will pay $5000 for some Lego set, you conclude that no one ever has or ever will pay $5000 for a toy?

Welcome to comics general. Your logic, while terrible, is still above average for this place.

Ok I'll give you an example, let's pretend you don't care about superheroes, comics etc. now I've seen these hot toys which are selling for like $350, for what? it is a piece of plastic. Would you think that is normal to spend that kind of money on such a thing. I'm honestly not trying to start any flame war, I'm just interested to have an intelligent conversation about this. Are collectibles actually worth anything, or are people really deluding themselves? I know no one would ever think you're crazy if you put that kind of money and more buying gold.

Collectibles aren't commodities, but if you want a collectible that costs $500, and other people want it and are willing to pay $500, then it's worth $500 at that point in time. You can't use it as fuel, shelter or food, but that's true of non-collectible items as well, including gold and various financial instruments like stocks and bonds. Even currency itself. If a market exists where someone is willing to trade $500 for a collectible, and you can in-turn take that $500 and convert it to food, or paying rent, or gas in your car, then that collectible has value. In the same way, gold only has value so long as a market for it exists, and currency only has value as long as it can be exchanged for goods and services.

That said, collectibles aren't commodities that you can buy or sell on an exchange, so you have to seek out buyers who are willing to purchase what you have. Not being able to find buyers locally doesn't render that collectible worthless; it just means it's not as liquid as something like gold.

So when the hits the fan, that gold you just bought will suddenly become edible?

No, but it is the best method for obtaining bread from someone who makes it.

There is nothing so universal as gold. It is the world's oldest, and best, currency.

Actually this is a bit wrong. While gold may be viewed objectively as best (and that would be your opinion, I myself would prefer platinum as it is far more rare) gold is no where near the oldest currency. Both Copper and Silver were used thousands of years before gold as a form of currency. Mesopotamia shekels were made out of silver and copper. The first gold coins started to emerge around 1000-800 BC, about 2000 years later. And of course bartered goods like Cattle and Barley or Grain FAR outpace that, but if we are talking pure currency then both silver and copper (as well as bronze to an extent) outpace gold as oldest.

I don't know if collectibles are a U.S. thing, but I'm starting to think that the crazy amounts of money spent, were spent on something that is so illiquid unless you're living in the U.S. so anyway, I live in the UAE (Dubai) and a few months back I wanted to sell some of my valuable comics on a popular classified site, but there was no interest what so ever. People were even messaging me and telling me I was crazy to expect to get that much for a comic book. We are talking comics like Spiderman #50, 122, Hulk 181 etc.

I see the same thing happening with Legos now, and it seems to have become a fad right after the Lego movie, people hoarding sets hoping they'll sell them for huge profits. But at the end of the day, as much as you might love the blocks, no one in their right mind is going to pay $5,000 for a toy. Collectibles just present an illusion of gold, but they are not worth anything.

So essentially what you're saying is that because you couldn't sell comics locally, via classified ads, those comics are worthless?

Further, because no one will pay $5000 for some Lego set, you conclude that no one ever has or ever will pay $5000 for a toy?

Welcome to comics general. Your logic, while terrible, is still above average for this place.

Ok I'll give you an example, let's pretend you don't care about superheroes, comics etc. now I've seen these hot toys which are selling for like $350, for what? it is a piece of plastic. Would you think that is normal to spend that kind of money on such a thing. I'm honestly not trying to start any flame war, I'm just interested to have an intelligent conversation about this. Are collectibles actually worth anything, or are people really deluding themselves? I know no one would ever think you're crazy if you put that kind of money and more buying gold.

Collectibles aren't commodities, but if you want a collectible that costs $500, and other people want it and are willing to pay $500, then it's worth $500 at that point in time. You can't use it as fuel, shelter or food, but that's true of non-collectible items as well, including gold and various financial instruments like stocks and bonds. Even currency itself. If a market exists where someone is willing to trade $500 for a collectible, and you can in-turn take that $500 and convert it to food, or paying rent, or gas in your car, then that collectible has value. In the same way, gold only has value so long as a market for it exists, and currency only has value as long as it can be exchanged for goods and services.

That said, collectibles aren't commodities that you can buy or sell on an exchange, so you have to seek out buyers who are willing to purchase what you have. Not being able to find buyers locally doesn't render that collectible worthless; it just means it's not as liquid as something like gold.

Are you really trying to have a serious discussion with this dude?

:makepoint:

This can be said about any number of things in the world. different culture, different focus, lifestyle, interests, religions, etc. I'm sure someone in Africa who has to walk like 15 miles for water would care less about a Hulk 181. (I will be stepping down off my soap box now)

:whistle:

I think the people who are paying or willing to pay such a huge amount of money are a small group of people who have dollar signs in their eyes, hoping deep down that what they bought today, would tomorrow bring them thousands upon thousands of dollars. The truth is the only person who will pay is another person who doesn't know any better hoping to make a lot of money later.

pssstt this is how economics works. People hope that what they buy or do will have some value to someone else, and hope the value is more than what they put into it. Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're wrong, whether its a restaurant with creatively small but delicious dishes, or commodities traders, or comic book shop owners, or surgeons. And a large part of the value honestly comes from the reachable market, obviously (or you'd think it'd be obvious).

Here is the thing. Once you have more than enough money to buy the basics of food, shelter, and clothing, every other purchase has a much diminished utility, making it look silly in comparison.

Why would a person buy a fancy car when a used Kia will get them there just as well?

Why would a person ever pay more than $5 for a meal when the McDonald's dollar menu exists?

etc, etc.

If someone makes $350/hr, the utility of a $350 purchase doesn't need to be very high.

Does anything other than food, shelter, or clothing, and related materials to make or help make those items or acquire have any intrinsic value?

I think you're talking about more of a philosophical existential question about the meaning of life and possessions.

No one forces you or anyone else to collect anything, to buy and sell anything. Its not for everyone. People collect all different things, and for all different reasons, but at some point you should when you enjoy the collectible personally, or will gain some enjoyment from selling (hopefully for a profit) later on. If you don't enjoy the product for the price you paid, and don't realize gains from selling, perhaps comics and collectibles are not for you.

The same can be said for nearly any item. We don't need to buy napkins, there's a million trees everywhere, we could just use leaves. We don't need computers, I can't eat my computer or live in it or wear it.

My guess is the OP needs a deepdive on his own issues and/or his own priorities.

And graduate High School. Whipper snappers always think they have original ideas to change the world and educate the populace; few of them realize, until much later, that their ideas are nothing more than retreads of past comic book plots. :acclaim:

Here is the thing. Once you have more than enough money to buy the basics of food, shelter, and clothing, every other purchase has a much diminished utility, making it look silly in comparison.

Why would a person buy a fancy car when a used Kia will get them there just as well?

Why would a person ever pay more than $5 for a meal when the McDonald's dollar menu exists?

etc, etc.

If someone makes $350/hr, the utility of a $350 purchase doesn't need to be very high.

Cause Kia obviously sucks

this pretty much sums up the point. Although I think anyone who doesn't already get this very obvious point might not be worth anyone's discussion time.

The human race deludes itself into thinking that many things are "valuable", not just collectibles. It's the justification we give ourselves to wanting to own it that gives these things value. The more people that have similar justifications on an object, the higher the price.

Let me give you a non-comic book example.

For about two years, I'd been looking to find a vintage John Lucero skateboard deck from 1985. It was my first "pro" skateboard, and I cracked the deck when I was a kid and smashed it Jimi Hendrix style. What I found out later in life was that my first skateboard deck was one of the most rare, sought after vintage decks made from that era.

But, I really wanted one. I wanted to connect to that part of my childhood, and being who I am - I'm not a "repro" kind of guy, I wanted an authentic (they make reissues now of classic decks). So did many other people, and it drove the price and desire up to around $600 for a used, beat up skateboard deck - and when they showed up, they were gone within the same day.

I managed to work a deal for one for $450. I couldn't believe I spent that kind of cash on a piece of wood. But when I unwrapped it, I remembered all sorts of things about my skateboard days of being a kid - I had flashbacks just like you see in the movies the instant I had it in my hands. It was bizarre, cool and worth every penny I paid.

Is it "worth" anything compared to a stack of $20 bills? Or some silver dollars? Probably not. In 30 years no one will probably even care. But for $450, I got to put this board on my wall and smile every time I see it, and when you amortize that over the rest of my life - that's pennies in the bucket for something that is a positive in my life.

That may not apply for all of my comics, but it applies to many of them. I don't care about the value - sure it's fun to have comics go up in value, but if they come down - it won't take the enjoyment out of them for me, and probably not for a lot of collectors around here, either.

Saying nothing is worth anything except the basic necessities of life, corn, water, a hut, pretty much puts every company on the planet out of business if this dude is right about his economic assessment.

Gold fluctuates too much in value in the short term to be considered a great currency, IMO.

No, but it is the best method for obtaining bread from someone who makes it.

There is nothing so universal as gold. It is the world's oldest, and best, currency.

Did I get got?

He asked nicely, and I'm in a good mood.

Saying nothing is worth anything except the basic necessities of life, corn, water, a hut, pretty much puts every company on the planet out of business if this dude is right about his economic assessment.

FYI his line of thinking is actually how some cults have started. They become naturalists, then survivalists, then anarchists, then....

FYI his line of thinking is actually how some cults have started. They become naturalists, then survivalists, then anarchists, then....

....they drink poisoned kool aid.

....they drink poisoned kool aid.

We wish. They end up going to senate

Did I get got?

And got it exactly right. He confused lack of liquidity with worthlessness.

Did I get got?

And got it exactly right. He confused lack of liquidity with worthlessness.

Hulk 181 is liquid-but not if you walk in some bar trying to sell it.

Does anything other than food, shelter, or clothing, and related materials to make or help make those items or acquire have any intrinsic value?

I think you're talking about more of a philosophical existential question about the meaning of life and possessions.

No one forces you or anyone else to collect anything, to buy and sell anything. Its not for everyone. People collect all different things, and for all different reasons, but at some point you should when you enjoy the collectible personally, or will gain some enjoyment from selling (hopefully for a profit) later on. If you don't enjoy the product for the price you paid, and don't realize gains from selling, perhaps comics and collectibles are not for you.

The same can be said for nearly any item. We don't need to buy napkins, there's a million trees everywhere, we could just use leaves. We don't need computers, I can't eat my computer or live in it or wear it.

My guess is the OP needs a deepdive on his own issues and/or his own priorities.

I'm not against collecting. I am against collecting though when what you're collecting costs an insane amount of money for something that was originally a few cents worth. I mean look at the WD #1 how do you even begin to rationalize the amount of money that it's going for? and trust me, I own one and once the allure of owning one wears off, that's when rational thinking jumps in and you wonder what the hell was I thinking.