• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectibles are worthless...

305 posts in this topic

What makes gold any different? It has less utility than comics or legos so you could easily argue that collectibles should be worth more. Sure, it is more liquid, but as a store of value, historically, it's not worth its weight in well, ...

Gold has less utility than comics or legos...?

Are you sure about that?

hm

(that's a fairly rhetorical question...gold has much, much more utility than comics or legos.)

Aside from that, it is its universality that makes it different. Gold is recognized the world over as a store of value, and is the most accepted, and acceptable, medium of exchange that exists.

"But what if I need bread, and have bananas to trade for it?"

Fine and dandy...until everyone you want to trade with already has bananas, and has no need of yours. Gold solves that problem quite efficiently.

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of other reasons, but that would make this a wall of text, and that frightens people.

Not sure we are using the same definition of utility. My point being the satisfaction derived from playing with Lego or reading comics (i.e. utility) is greater than staring at a lump of yellow metal. Of course you can trade that gold for goods much easier than you could trade a comic. But that's liquidity, isn't it?

I don't know if collectibles are a U.S. thing, but I'm starting to think that the crazy amounts of money spent, were spent on something that is so illiquid unless you're living in the U.S. so anyway, I live in the UAE (Dubai) and a few months back I wanted to sell some of my valuable comics on a popular classified site, but there was no interest what so ever. People were even messaging me and telling me I was crazy to expect to get that much for a comic book. We are talking comics like Spiderman #50, 122, Hulk 181 etc.

I see the same thing happening with Legos now, and it seems to have become a fad right after the Lego movie, people hoarding sets hoping they'll sell them for huge profits. But at the end of the day, as much as you might love the blocks, no one in their right mind is going to pay $5,000 for a toy. Collectibles just present an illusion of gold, but they are not worth anything.

xrte.jpg

-slym

image.png

I can tell you've learned some valuable lessons in your interactions with me over the years.

image.jpg

I think you're mixing me up with Park now.

dm4aq.jpg

I tried to sell my Action #1 to my neighbor he thought I was crazy.

It's worthless I guess.

I'm sensing a lot of resentment or something in this thread...

Well he comes to a collector forum and tells us basically we're all stupid and wasting our time...that never goes well.

What makes gold any different? It has less utility than comics or legos so you could easily argue that collectibles should be worth more. Sure, it is more liquid, but as a store of value, historically, it's not worth its weight in well, ...

Gold has less utility than comics or legos...?

Are you sure about that?

hm

(that's a fairly rhetorical question...gold has much, much more utility than comics or legos.)

Aside from that, it is its universality that makes it different. Gold is recognized the world over as a store of value, and is the most accepted, and acceptable, medium of exchange that exists.

"But what if I need bread, and have bananas to trade for it?"

Fine and dandy...until everyone you want to trade with already has bananas, and has no need of yours. Gold solves that problem quite efficiently.

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of other reasons, but that would make this a wall of text, and that frightens people.

Not sure we are using the same definition of utility. My point being the satisfaction derived from playing with Lego or reading comics (i.e. utility) is greater than staring at a lump of yellow metal. Of course you can trade that gold for goods much easier than you could trade a comic. But that's liquidity, isn't it?

You're comparing a finished product (Legos, comics) to a raw material (gold)...?

Because I could stare at King Tut's gold mask and sarcophagi for hours (and almost did, when I was in Egypt.)

Endlessly fascinating.

Collectibles just present an illusion of gold, but they are not worth anything.

“The land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for, because it's the only thing that lasts".....Gerald O'Hara, Gone With The Wind.”

― Margaret Mitchell

ef56cbc031a480d42c41bc5328b4a331.jpg

But in the end, after you're dead, how much land do you need?

Six feet?

Yeah but if you have gold it's a highly liquid asset. You can go to any jewellery shop and sell it. Comics are not, you will be lucky to find someone willing to pay the asking price.

Stop taking your comics to jewelry stores, and start taking them to comic stores.

Have you watched the show Comic Book Men? Walt tries to rip off any guy that comes in with something "valuable" a jewellery store can't do that because the price of gold is already set.

Sigh. I thought if I was succinct I could get my point across, but you just aren't getting it. You can take gold into a jewelry store and sell it, because gold has USE to a jewelry store (and they are in the business of dealing with gold). If you tried to take your gold into a grocery store and sell it - or even exchange it for goods - you aren't going to have much luck, at least around here.

ANYTHING, and that includes gold, is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Where you are, apparently, comics are worthless. In a post-apocalyptic world, gold is likely to be worthless.

I don't know if collectibles are a U.S. thing, but I'm starting to think that the crazy amounts of money spent, were spent on something that is so illiquid unless you're living in the U.S. so anyway, I live in the UAE (Dubai) and a few months back I wanted to sell some of my valuable comics on a popular classified site, but there was no interest what so ever. People were even messaging me and telling me I was crazy to expect to get that much for a comic book. We are talking comics like Spiderman #50, 122, Hulk 181 etc.

I see the same thing happening with Legos now, and it seems to have become a fad right after the Lego movie, people hoarding sets hoping they'll sell them for huge profits. But at the end of the day, as much as you might love the blocks, no one in their right mind is going to pay $5,000 for a toy. Collectibles just present an illusion of gold, but they are not worth anything.

money is worthless too :)

everything's value is solely based on what people agree it is. Luxury items actually do much better in extreme dislocations then paper assets.

Agreed. It`s all based on belief. As long as there is some belief there will be some value. 2c

The OP's post really reminded of the U.S. Mint's state quarters program. I recall when the first four issues (Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Georgia) were realeased I'd say for a year+ I saw Delaware mint sewn bags ($25 bags) sell on Ebay for as much as $700 to $800 and the other 3 bags would sell for $250 or more. These bags were purchased from the mint at face value for $25. Now you can find Delaware bags on Ebay for $200. I got caught up in the buying frenzy (quarter issues subsequent to the first four) and now I can't find a coin shop to even take off my hands at face value. I was fortunate to sell 2 of the first 4 issues at a nice premium in those days of 7 and $800 Delaware bags.

I certainly don't think this is where comics are headed anytime soon at least for a good number of titles. But as many posters have pointed out, it's all about perception and precieved value.

The OP's post really reminded of the U.S. Mint's state quarters program. I recall when the first four issues (Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Georgia) were realeased I'd say for a year+ I saw Delaware mint sewn bags ($25 bags) sell on Ebay for as much as $700 to $800 and the other 3 bags would sell for $250 or more. These bags were purchased from the mint at face value for $25. Now you can find Delaware bags on Ebay for $200. I got caught up in the buying frenzy (quarter issues subsequent to the first four) and now I can't find a coin shop to even take off my hands at face value. I was fortunate to sell 2 of the first 4 issues at a nice premium in those days of 7 and $800 Delaware bags.

I certainly don't think this is where comics are headed anytime soon at least for a good number of titles. But as many posters have pointed out, it's all about perception and precieved value.

Yep created collectibles never do as well as things that accidentally become collectible because everyone threw them away.

I tried selling some Action #1's from my hut in Kenya. There was NO interest. Ergo, they are worthless.

Everyone knows you don't have a hut.

I tried selling some Action #1's from my hut in Kenya. There was NO interest. Ergo, they are worthless.

Everyone knows you don't have a hut.

Now they do

:frustrated: