• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No more Foxing around: Complete run of WEIRD COMICS, 1940-1942!
1 1

154 posts in this topic

Never seen the 18 but for this thread and i have been around a long time (thumbs u

The early issues have the unbeatable talent (Eisner-Iger shop, covers by Tuska and Fine, etc etc) but I have to admit in some ways I'm partial to the later ones. They are such neat books, and so hard to get ahold of.

And now for something different... Here's the 10-page Eagle story from Weird Comics #9. :)

The Eagle would become one of the early patriotic superheroes, kind of a poor man's Captain America... but in this initial incarnation he was more of a Batman-type crimefighter, complete with a Robin-type sidekick named Buddy. (And oddly enough, he was shirtless.)

These Eagle stories are great fun, and are among the hidden gems of the Weird run. They ran from #9-16 or so, and most of them have this same kind of plot with multiple villains ("The Beast" and "The Gimp") doublecrossing and scheming against each other. I've always loved that kind of plot in superhero comics, and these stories must be some of the earliest examples of it. Nice distinctive art style too (GCD attributes it to Louis Cazeneuve.)

The first six pages...

10s83ki.jpg

5yeuts.jpg

14ddhxy.jpg

jl6xw1.jpg

vmu0yv.jpg

iglriw.jpg

Weird Comics #11, February 1941. The eighth blue cover in a row. Well, at least now it's a dark blue background for a change!

While none of these Weirds are extremely easy to find, I think this issue may well be one of the toughest.

2drc1so.jpg

Weird Comics #12, March 1941. Thousands of angry Weird fans burned the Fox Comics office to the ground when this controversial yellow-background cover was released... nah, just kidding.

Cool cover with a really bold color scheme... must have looked right at home on the stands next to some of those yellow Superman covers. Note that the covers are now starting to inch towards war themes, as opposed to just run-of-the-mill thugs.

wl5fe8.jpg

Weird Comics #12, March 1941. Thousands of angry Weird fans burned the Fox Comics office to the ground when this controversial yellow-background cover was released... nah, just kidding.

Cool cover with a really bold color scheme... must have looked right at home on the stands next to some of those yellow Superman covers. Note that the covers are now starting to inch towards war themes, as opposed to just run-of-the-mill thugs.

wl5fe8.jpg

lol really enjoying this thread keep up the awesome work and thanks for sharing this most righteous of accomplishments!!