• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No more Foxing around: Complete run of WEIRD COMICS, 1940-1942!
1 1

154 posts in this topic

Weird Comics #7, October 1940. Looks like the Dart and Ace changed hair color since last issue ...eh, blond, red-haired, whatever. I imagine the colorist had to knock these things out pretty quickly.

Issues #6 and 7, and later #9, all came from Sharon. Thanks again Sha!

zlqd81.jpg

Love seeing these! I am working on the run myself, hope it doesn't take 8 years but as you said, some of them are very tough.

Hope you get there sooner than later! They are indeed very tough... I definitely got lucky on some of these.

Weird Comics #8, November 1940. For those of you keeping track at home, this is the fifth blue cover in a row. I wonder if it was some attempt at 'branding' the title on the racks, or simply a colorist who didn't care too much? (In fairness, the deep blue backgrounds do make these yellow and red costumes really pop.)

2465gmu.jpg

I think you may be right about the color scheme being an attempt to "brand". Primary colors were popular with most publishers at the time, but I don't think that Cap and Marvel Mystery usually having white or yellow lettering on a red background was an accident either.

Weird Comics #9, December 1940. (Yes, another blue background!)

It should probably be mentioned that boy sidekick Ace doesn't have any superpowers, but wields a baseball bat that he cheerfully uses to beat up thugs. You gotta love the casual violence of the early golden age. lol

iqhoiq.jpg

Here is my 9, not quite as blue as yours.

That's a bright sharp copy though! (thumbs u The tape on mine bugs me a bit, but I've never managed to find a better one.

Patience Grasshopper.

Here is my 9, not quite as blue as yours.

That's a bright sharp copy though! (thumbs u The tape on mine bugs me a bit, but I've never managed to find a better one.

Patience Grasshopper.

Eh, no big deal. :cool: Not every issue has to be a high grader.

I was going to post my 1, 3 and 4 but I cant find the scans at the moment doh!

Yep, if you find 'em, post away!

I'll be particularly curious as we move into the #11-20 run who has copies to post. I've found those to be the toughest.

Weird Comics #10, January 1941. (Because you demanded it... another blue background!)

I love the Weird Comics logo on these simple covers. Huge and bold... it would definitely jump out at you even on a crowded rack.

dfeul1.jpg