• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So What is the Key Warlock Book?

118 posts in this topic

Fact: The Warlock, his powers, his soul gem, his personality, etc. that we all know and love never existed before Marvel Premiere #1.

That's because Warlock was a totally new character that for copyright reasons, Marvel wanted linked to an existing, though totally obsolete and unused, character. Like The Cat to Tigra.

Fact: The Warlock, his powers, his soul gem, his personality, etc. that we all know and love never existed before Marvel Premiere #1.

That's because Warlock was a totally new character that for copyright reasons, Marvel wanted linked to an existing, though totally obsolete and unused, character. Like The Cat to Tigra.

BAAAAH, not this again... :P

BAAAAH, not this again... :P

lol Why? He has a valid point.

I guess this argument will always be there because of what the slabs say.

CGC has no clue and no consistency when it comes to this kind of thing. They give a bizarre "First Winter Soldier" notation to a recent CA, even though Bucky has been around for decades, and do the same for many other "new characters using old, discarded/dead/obsolete characters for copyright reasons' revamps like Tigra, yet Warlock (probably to satisfy the SA nerds - after all, how may GA CA#1's are out there with dealers?) keep trying to convince collectors that a Speedo-wearing caveman is somehow the same Warlock that grew to prominence, post-MP #1. :roflmao:

I guess this argument will always be there because of what the slabs say.

CGC has no clue and no consistency when it comes to this kind of thing. They give a bizarre "First Winter Soldier" notation to a recent CA, even though Bucky has been around for decades, and do the same for many other "new characters using old, discarded/dead/obsolete characters for copyright reasons' revamps like Tigra, yet Warlock (probably to satisfy the SA nerds - after all, how may GA CA#1's are out there with dealers?) keep trying to convince collectors that a Speedo-wearing caveman is somehow the same Warlock that grew to prominence, post-MP #1. :roflmao:

Doesn't that fly in the face of your MP#1 theory? You're claiming that MP#1 introduces Warlock as we know him today...with a new shiny costume and a forehead gem...therefore he's a completely different character and this "HIM" character isn't related whatsoever.

Then, out of the other side of your mouth you claim that Bucky has been around for decades even though the Winter Soldier, with his new shiny bionic arm, goth costume and super-powers, is the same character that was introduced in Cap #1??? :roflmao:

(shrug)

For the record, I completely agree...CGC is way too inconsistent.

Joe is right that the warlock we all now know and love is soul gem dependent.

As a collector that has liked warlock since I received a copy of Strange Tales 178 and Warlock 6 from his father back in '75, I still consider the previous incarnation part of the warlock mythos and must have issues for the completionist.

I even bought #9 off the stands and cannot describe how thrilled I was to see that the character was being published. And the art was transcendent to a 8/9 year old.

So there.

Argue all you want

FF66/67

Thor 165/166

Warlock 1-8

Strange tales 178-181

Warlock 9-15

Etc.

All required :sumo:

Argue all you want

FF66/67

Thor 165/166

Warlock 1-8

Strange tales 178-181

Warlock 9-15

Etc.

I think you're missing one... :baiting:

Sure, if you're a Warlock fan, all of those are key reads. My issue is that the character, much like Bucky in Cap #1, was introduced years before in the Fantastic Four books. To completely discount those and say MP#1 is the first appearance of the character does compute to me...that's all.

Argue all you want

FF66/67

Thor 165/166

Warlock 1-8

Strange tales 178-181

Warlock 9-15

Etc.

Sure, if you're a Warlock fan, all of those are key reads. My issue is that the character, much like Bucky in Cap #1, was introduced years before in the Fantastic Four books. To completely discount those and say MP#1 is the first appearance of the character does compute to me...that's all.

Etc captures all the missed issues

Hulk 176-178 etc.

Help a po boy out and post the full list through 1979??

Argue all you want

FF66/67

Thor 165/166

Warlock 1-8

Strange tales 178-181

Warlock 9-15

Etc.

Hulk 176-178 etc.

I think the one he's hinting at is Marvel Premiere #1.

Argue all you want

FF66/67

Thor 165/166

Warlock 1-8

Strange tales 178-181

Warlock 9-15

Etc.

Hulk 176-178 etc.

Exactly...

Argue all you want

FF66/67

Thor 165/166

Warlock 1-8

Strange tales 178-181

Warlock 9-15

Etc.

Hulk 176-178 etc.

Exactly...

One should not drink and list comic appearances

I knew that :sumo: :lol:

And I even have them all......etc...etc...etc

I bet you're a Man of Steel #17 guy aren't you...

I do own a copy of MoS #17 lol, but no way i was shocked when I saw what they were claiming is a 1st appearance for Doomsday.

I'm not saying that #66 is 1st Warlock, just that it has more merit than Thor #165.

Respectfully disagree. Thor #165 is the 1st full appearance of Warlock. I picture it like the ASM#300 for Venom. FF#66 is akin to a MoS #17 appearance…basically nothing but certainly a key book in the storyline. FF #67 is the first appearance ("cameo") of Warlock…similar to ASM #299.

Those ASM books came out in consecutive months. Thor 165 came out 2 years after FF66/67. The latter is more key to warlock's character development compared to the former. Ever since cgc labeled thor 165 as warlock's 1st full appearance, it has gained a lot of attention. However, check Marvel's official website and you'll see that FF66/67 is warlock's 1st appearance as HIM and Marvel Premiere 1 as 1st as Adam Warlock. http://marvel.com/universe/Warlock,_Adam

Also, check your old shoe box full of marvel trading cards. I'm sure none of them will say Thor 165 as warlock's 1st appearance.

Regardless, make sure to have them all:

2F9772CD-C680-4DF5-A2E1-9F38AE7223D8_zpsmbzxqpki.jpg

VERY NICE!