• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So What is the Key Warlock Book?

118 posts in this topic

I think what is really going to give the argument a push is how Warlock's eventual appearance on-screen is going to happen.

If he emerges from some sort of cocoon (like what was seen in the Collector's building in the end credit scene) I think it will draw a lot of attention to FF67. Not that it will define which issue is the one to have - but I think it will help because there is a huge group of collectors who are influenced by what goes on in the movies.

I very much agree it will spark the need to get all copies. However, I think there is no way we are introduced to "him" without his cocoon being involved.

I can't find a great argument as to why Thor #165 is important other than a great storyline and fight between Thor. I see more merit in FF #66 being a Warlock key than #165 now.

I bet you're a Man of Steel #17 guy aren't you...

I do own a copy of MoS #17 lol, but no way i was shocked when I saw what they were claiming is a 1st appearance for Doomsday.

I'm not saying that #66 is 1st Warlock, just that it has more merit than Thor #165.

I do own a copy of MoS #17 lol, but no way i was shocked when I saw what they were claiming is a 1st appearance for Doomsday.

I'm not saying that #66 is 1st Warlock, just that it has more merit than Thor #165.

Respectfully disagree. Thor #165 is the 1st full appearance of Warlock. I picture it like the ASM#300 for Venom. FF#66 is akin to a MoS #17 appearance…basically nothing but certainly a key book in the storyline. FF #67 is the first appearance ("cameo") of Warlock…similar to ASM #299.

Respectfully disagree. Thor #165 is the 1st full appearance of Warlock. I picture it like the ASM#300 for Venom. FF#66 is akin to a MoS #17 appearance…basically nothing but certainly a key book in the storyline. FF #67 is the first appearance ("cameo") of Warlock…similar to ASM #299.

Those ASM books came out in consecutive months. Thor 165 came out 2 years after FF66/67. The latter is more key to warlock's character development compared to the former. Ever since cgc labeled thor 165 as warlock's 1st full appearance, it has gained a lot of attention. However, check Marvel's official website and you'll see that FF66/67 is warlock's 1st appearance as HIM and Marvel Premiere 1 as 1st as Adam Warlock. http://marvel.com/universe/Warlock,_Adam

Also, check your old shoe box full of marvel trading cards. I'm sure none of them will say Thor 165 as warlock's 1st appearance.

Regardless, make sure to have them all:

2F9772CD-C680-4DF5-A2E1-9F38AE7223D8_zpsmbzxqpki.jpg

Thor #165 is the 1st full appearance of Warlock. I picture it like the ASM#300 for Venom. FF#66 is akin to a MoS #17 appearance…basically nothing but certainly a key book in the storyline. FF #67 is the first appearance ("cameo") of Warlock…similar to ASM #299.

(thumbs u

The only significance to Thor 165 is that it's the first cover appearance of Him.

FF 67 is the first appearance of Him, and has been for decades (like, four of them).

Marvel Premiere 1 is the first Warlock & more important than all of these (new name, new powers, new costume, try-out/lead-in to series).

Seriously, did y'all just suddenly buy runs of Silver Age Thor when the first movie came out?

This revisionist history is dumb...

Here's one: since the possession of the soul gem is what made Adam Warlock go all cukoo and become The Magus, wouldn't The Magus's first appearance technically be MP #1?

Since they're one and the same, in a cosmic schizo way, if in GOTG (comic or movie) Warlock were to become The Magus permanently and Warlock ceased to exist, AND The Magus is cemented as a major Marvel character, then would MP 1 count as a Magus appearance ahead of ST 178?

Coffee is a hell of a drug :D

Recently picked up FF 66 cgc 9.4. Is anyone going to care about this book other than me? I mean, with so many other books associated with Warlock, will this one just be a small piece of the complicated story? Or will it be a key? Time will tell...

Warlock doesn't even show up in a cameo in that issue and I don't believe the cocoon does either... Just some text about "Him". I'm sure once Warlock shows up in a post credits scene that one will go nuts, but not sure it should...

I big to differ! FF66 is a huge key for any Warlock and FF fan. The Cocoon is front and center, but most importantly, the origin of HIM (Warlock) is discussed in detail. If you are a serious Warlock collector, both 66 & 67 act like a set... a must have set. I personally own two copies of each. It's an underrated and often misunderstood key by those who have never read it. And its a really beautiful issue with spectacular Kirby art! Grab it if you can! And it has high registry points as an added bonus.

SW3D

Actually, I made an error... the Coccon is not "front and center" in issue 66. Issue 66 is all about HIM's/Warlock's Origin and the 1st appearance of The Enclave. And although HIM and the Coccoon are not seen in issue 66, it still is an important key for Warlock fans to collect since it's the beginning of his tale.

However, since Warlock's character evolves somewhat drastically, collecting FF66, 67, Thor 165, MP #1, Strange Tales 178-181, and Warlock 9 & 10, will cover all the essential keys.

Once again, my apologies for my error.

SW3D

Here's one: since the possession of the soul gem is what made Adam Warlock go all cukoo and become The Magus, wouldn't The Magus's first appearance technically be MP #1?

Since they're one and the same, in a cosmic schizo way, if in GOTG (comic or movie) Warlock were to become The Magus permanently and Warlock ceased to exist, AND The Magus is cemented as a major Marvel character, then would MP 1 count as a Magus appearance ahead of ST 178?

Coffee is a hell of a drug :D

That's an interesting concept... and not really that farfetched, but I don't feel anyone is going to embrace it.

For me, the Magus' 1st appearances are split in three (3) distinct ways and in three (3) distinct comics:

Strange Tales Volume 1, Number 178: "1st Appearance of tge Magus"

Technically, one can argue, this is the first appearance of the Magus, and although I agree with that statement, however, if you read the story, it is more accurate and definitive to say it is an "Incorporeal Appearance of the Magus". In this issue, the Magus' introduction comes by way of an incorporeal thought projection in the form of a floating, giant, Oz-like, disembodied face, bathed in emerald and golden cosmic energies.That's all we see of him.

Strange Tales Volume 1, Number 181: "1st Appearance of the Magus in Corporeal Form (a full-page 1-panel Cameo)"

It's in this issue where we really see the Magus, a corporeal image, from head to toe, albeit in a cameo.

Warlock Volume 1, Number 9: "1st Full Appearance of the Magus; Origin of the Magus"

This is, in my opinion, the overlooked key for the Magus. It is here where the Magus makes his 1st full appearance as he battles Adam Warlock, and, as a bonus, the Magus discusses his origin.

But, to be on the safe side, owning all three comics is the way to go.

SW3D

The only significance to Thor 165 is that it's the first cover appearance of Him.

FF 67 is the first appearance of Him, and has been for decades (like, four of them).

Marvel Premiere 1 is the first Warlock & more important than all of these (new name, new powers, new costume, try-out/lead-in to series).

Seriously, did y'all just suddenly buy runs of Silver Age Thor when the first movie came out?

This revisionist history is dumb...

Ignoring the facts and the actual panel appearances is dumb...