• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I feel lost: how do you guys keep track of releases, comics you follow, etc.?

15 posts in this topic

I have been out of the game for a long time (I would say 4/5 years, with some random and short come-back once in a while).

I feel lost in the current comic books' world. Too many renumbering, too many relaunches, too many series for the same characters, etc.

Can you please suggest me some ways to keep track of new releases, keep track of the titles followed, etc.?

Thanks.

I like this site to keep track of my pull list and what is coming out that week.

http://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/

As far as keeping up with series, the only thing i can think of is to read news sites and check out the previews catalog each month.

EDIT: so at that site you can make an account and click on 'new comics' and it will show you all the releases for that week. You can then add it to your virtual pull file etc.

It also keeps track of how many people are 'pulling' that title so it gives you a good indication of the top titles people are checking out week by week.

Are you looking for some specific recommendations for anything particular?

Image has been putting out some bang-up material the past few years. I'm reading so many indie books I can't even consider a DC or MVL book. Come join us on the dark side :)

I'm with you...I'd say 99% of what I read is indie

I use an excel spreadsheet. It took a bit of looking around at various sources to get a true complete list of the back issues from the titles I wanted (months of research infact to find oddball variants/promos and ashcans).

Excel allows you to add as much information as you want. In my case; when I bought a comic (it's arc title), it's condition and what I paid for it.

For new releases, I check out the publisher websites every couple of weeks and update the list of stuff I want to buy. Many publishers list title release dates months in advance. And you could log-on to each once every 2 months and stay pretty current with what your pull list should be and what you'll expect to lay out that week or month.

-T

Just pick up the issues that come out each week and start reading. You'll get caught up fast. If you have questions like "who is this character?" then you'll have a specific question you can research. The best thing to do is just dive right in

Have you considered just picking up some trades of books that sound interesting to you? Then if you really like it and catch up you can worry about keeping track of releases.

:gossip: Santa Monica used to have a nice library system. Start there instead of buying stuff. If you like it, you can always buy later for your collection.

Have you considered just picking up some trades of books that sound interesting to you? Then if you really like it and catch up you can worry about keeping track of releases.

:gossip: Santa Monica used to have a nice library system. Start there instead of buying stuff. If you like it, you can always buy later for your collection.

Thanks for the suggestion. More than Santa Monica, the LA library circle has EVERYTHING, it's amazing. I see that other users do not like Marvel and DC but unfortunately, these are the publishers that I prefer...mostly because I started reading comics when I was a kid with some popular characters like Spider-Man and Batman.

What confused me with these publishers is the continuous renumbering and reboot of series. For example, how many Avengers series is Marvel publishing right now? One thousand?!?

since i started back this past april, the only way i know whats coming out is going whichever company's website and i go ahead and make a list of what i want in Marvel,DC, etc...

been working well so far.

if you want a list of what everyone is coming out with weekly checkout Comicvine.com. every tuesday i check there previews out and make decide what i want usually from their listings as well.

Image has been putting out some bang-up material the past few years. I'm reading so many indie books I can't even consider a DC or MVL book. Come join us on the dark side :)

I'm with you...I'd say 99% of what I read is indie

100% in my case. IDW,DARK HORSE/IMAGE, some great stuff being put out these days if you know where to look.

There are a lot of great titles despite the numerous #1s the Big Two keep throwing to the public. Libraries and buying digital trades online would be recommended, especially when digital books are on sale.

I don't read X-Men or Avengers as they are CSI-ing the hell out of them. I like the following books:

- Five Ghosts

- Batman

- Amazing Spider-man

- The Killer

- Walking Dead

- Invincible

- Brain Boy

- Zero

- Any Valiant title (They've been hitting it out of the park recently)

- Batgirl (w/ New writing & art team is breathe of fresh air for the character)

- Southern Bastards

- Deadly Class

- Afterlife with Archie (Bringing the character back to life with a Zombie twist)

- Sabrina (same writer for the above title is writing this one as well. Very good)

There's a mix of stuff in there. Definitely missing a few but they just don't come to mind right now. Comics & TV are going through an amazing period of creativity. Go out and enjoy the stories. Good luck!