• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much does small spine stress line detract form the overall grade?

9 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a Werewolf By night #32 that the seller stated was a VF/NM (9.0) grade. Once i received the book I noticed a lot more spine stress lines. I can see between 7-9 very small color breaking stress lines on the spine ( I cant remember the exact but I can get out and count if needed). Now I understand most people are not an expert grader, heck I am not either. Still I normally miss by .5 grade when I miss. This comic screams a 7.5 (on the high side) too me, and that is a far cry from a 9.0. I have quite a few VF/NM graded and raw books (graded by very reputable dealers) in my collection all were nicer and have more eye appeal. That said the seller seems like a good guy so before I talk refund to him I would like to know how much spine dings/stress lines impact the grade. I wanted a copy of this book that looked good to me, unfortunately this does not meet the requirement. That said he sold a grade not my taste. So if a a book could have have these defects and still be a VF/NM copy I will leave him alone. Heck I may either way. I hate feel like I am pestering people, but I feel like for $482.00 I should get what I paid for. I do not feel like the seller tries to hide anything and has been honest to the best of his ability.

Please give me your opinion on how much spine ticks would detract from the overall grade. I have linked a copy of the sale so you can pictures. I can I only see 4 tics in the pic bu there are a lot more in person . I do admit it hard from to see on the computer. So I could have missed them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331342603708?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The pictures are not the greatest, but you mean to tell us that you couldn't see all the color-breaking creases on the spine? Definitely more than 4 tics that you said you saw. From what I see in the pictures, it looks over-graded. But if it's the seller's honest opinion, then you should have taken it up privately with him. He did put "If you consider different grade please look at those pictures carefully and shoot me an email" in the auction.

If you're not happy with what you received, you certainly need to get in touch with the seller. If worse comes to worst, you can claim the item was not as described.

Too many spine ticks for the NM range for me; they would've scared me off if I was looking for a NM range book. The back cover alone appears to be too dirty to be in the NM range. The provided pics do not match his given grade. On eBay, sellers give generous grades to their comics and provide enough quality pics to put the onus on the buyer. That being said, though, approach him nicely and he may be willing to work with you. Looks like he has "hassle-free" returns.

I saw this book too. First saw it on my phone and it looked really good. Then I got on my laptop and after seeing the spine, I felt it was a bit overgraded. Has some defects that looks like a "warm hug" would help it, so it might get an 8.0. Anyone who's bought on the bay, should expect there to be discrepancies in grading. The uninitiated/newbies over-grade, sometimes high volume sellers miss stuff; since grading is an "art" my 9.0 is likely different from your 9.0 and a few of us here agree on that our assessment of a 9.0 differs from this sellers assessment of 9.0. Additionally, more often than not, some defects are not as clear, if at all from 2D images on screen than they are in hand. Good luck.

I would have thought a soft 9.0 at best based on the pix in the listing, and given they are photos and not a scan, I would have assumed more like an 8.0.

In hand it may well look like a 7.5, though there are plenty of CGC 8.0s one could say the same for.

I don't know what FMV is for this book in 8.0 ( raw), but if you are okay with a copy in that grade for the price you paid, I'd probably keep it if I were in your shoes.