• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Overview Of The Current State Of DC Comics On Their 70th Birthday.

85 posts in this topic

Ian - what you seem to dislike most about "modern" DCs is the writing. But I'm curious - what do you think about the art? Do you feel that the artists today are better than the Golden Age artists? If your answer is no, would (do) you want DC to go back to that style art?

Some of the art is breathtaking and some of it is awful.

Back to JSA Strange Adventures - the art is as good as it gets.

Identity Crisis interior art was stunning.

The Hawkman covers until the last few issues were fabulous. So have some of the Batman covers been.

The whole set of Legends Of The DC Universe, a few years back, surpassed anything from the Silver Age, apart from the early Justice League of America covers which I adored so much.

So it's the stories rather than the art.

Very observant and astute.

Oh, and on this whole new DC/old DC argument, I'll chime in on the side of hatred for the Hal Jordan Spectre. I haven't picked up GL Rebirth yet, but I hope that after the series they now bring back Corrigan for good...let's not start with a "Spectre III", please!

Though as a 893applaud-thumb.gif to new DC comics, I agree with Steve B that the Ostrander run was killer.

Ian - do you buy all the comics published by Humanoids (Metal Hurlant, By the Numbers, etc.), as they all have "Humanoids/DC Comics" printed on the cover.

Unfortunately yes.

27_laughing.gif, a true shame having to buy some of the world's greatest comics.

What about those Bionicles comics, don't tell me you're getting those too?

But of course.

They're hard to get because you can't buy them with other DCs, and 1 to 21 were all regular comic sized except for 10 and 12 which were mini-comic sized (might be 8 and 11 instead - I can't remember without checking). Then there are foil variants, various giveaways, convention exclusives, food-issue premiums from Oscar Meyer, and McDonalds exclusives, and one DC smaller sized trade paperback.

Ian - do you buy all the comics published by Humanoids (Metal Hurlant, By the Numbers, etc.), as they all have "Humanoids/DC Comics" printed on the cover.

Unfortunately yes.

27_laughing.gif, a true shame having to buy some of the world's greatest comics.

Frissen & Davis' "Zombies That Ate The World"( Metal Hurlant) is one of the best series being published - and being a Tin-Tin fan, I'm happy to see some of the French "clear line school" comics like "By The Numbers" and the Freddy Lombard anthologies finally getting translated into English.

Much better stuff than much of DC's output old or new.

Now THAT'S a matter of opinion.

One that's shared by a great number of people (a much larger number of people than read any book put out by DC or any other American company these days.)

One that's shared by a great number of people (a much larger number of people than read any book put out by DC or any other American company these days.)

Well they're not to my personal taste, and if I wasn't collecting every DC, I wouldn't dream of buying them, whereas I would STILL buy JSA Strange Adventures.

Ian,

I'm copying a link to an article from the Washington Post that more or less sums up, for me, what I liked about the writing in Idenity Crisis and why I feel it's "ok" for comics to get modern and more sophisticated in their style, as opposed to going backwards to the "simpler" comic style. You may have already seen this article, though, as the link is also posted on DC's website.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A44377-2005Jan3?language=printer

I think that the days of the superhero have certainly evolved to the point where most current characters are nearly unrecognizable character-wise compared to their bronze-age counterparts. The current state of comics in general and not just DC is that with few exceptions these are not for kids anymore. This is just the way the medium has evolved to stay in business.

My favorite DCs where Legion, Metal Men, Inferior Five and those great JLA\JSA\Freedom Fighters\Fawcett characters crossovers. These were just plain fun escapes for me but even the Metal Men mini-series in the ninties took away all the fun aspects of those characters. The grimmer comics of today just don't entertain me anymore.

This is why I havn't bought a new DC in over 15 years and I haven't bought a new Marvel since the Guardians of the Galaxy series ended. The positive side to this for me at least is that I have gone back and bought a bunch of bronze-age comics I missed back in the day and have really enjoyed stepping back and discovering stories I didn't read the first time around.

Some of the art today is just fabulous in its realism and detail, however, that does not translate into a "fun factor" for me. It is a shame that so many of the old-time DC series sell so poorly. It is inconcievable to me that "Action Comics" the flagship title of this great comics company sells less than 40,000 copies a month. 893whatthe.gif

I hope that for their 75 anniversary DC does something to celebrate all the eras of their publishing history. I can hope can't I?

I hope that for their 75 anniversary DC does something to celebrate all the eras of their publishing history. I can hope can't I?

I think there planning on publishing the final paper issues of all their titles to mark that anniversary, and will be moving to a web only format.

I think there planning on publishing the final paper issues of all their titles to mark that anniversary, and will be moving to a web only format.

I guess Ian better invest heavily in color inkjet cartridges!!!

My favorite DCs were Legion, Metal Men, Inferior Five and those great JLA\JSA\Freedom Fighters\Fawcett characters crossovers. These were just plain fun escapes for me but even the Metal Men mini-series in the ninties took away all the fun aspects of those characters.

Truer words were never spoken.

I LOVED the Metal Men and hated the nineties series. Why can't characters OCCASIONALLY return as they were. And what the HELL was Enginehead about ????

My favorite DCs were Inferior Five

Which I've stated many times was one of my favourites.

BRING BACK THE INFERIOR FIVE.

And start them at number 13, not number one again.

WE DEMAND A RETURN OF THE INFERIOR FIVE TO CELEBRATE DC's SEVENTIETH BIRTHDAY.