• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Convention Garbage

11 posts in this topic

sign-rantpost.gif

I went to my first convention in about 12 years today and all of the silver age stuff was in such poor condition and waaaay overpriced. I must've been getting super sweet deals off of ebay or these guys were all out to lunch. confused.gif

The only thing I ended up buying was an FF #58 which I even think I spent 5.00 too much on but at least I didn't walk away empty handed.

The next convention I'm going to is in late February in Montreal. I hope things are better there. Is this what I should expect from conventions?

The next convention I'm going to is in late February in Montreal. I hope things are better there. Is this what I should expect from conventions?

Not much.

As a high grade collector, if I walk out with more than one book, I consider it a sucess.

If you are looking for VF to maybe VF/NM, you might have some decent luck at a bigger convention.

I never go to shows looking for anything specific any more--it's just too frustrating. I find I do much better if I just see what's there and buy accordingly. There's almost always something, whether it's a bunch of modern readers in the 50 cent bin, 50% off trades, low grade readers, or every once in a while a major want. Plus I get to talk to people I know and generally have a good time even if I don't buy much at all.

it'll depend on the show

there's pretty much everything represented at the big shows

at least you know the condition you're getting when you buy in person --- sure, the VF/NM book will probably cost more at the show than on ebay, BUT.... unless you don't look carefully, you're getting what you're paying for, whereas on ebay. most of the time that VF/NM book is going to be somewhere between a Fine and VF, maybe lower.

the sellers on ebay who i trust 1000% on high grade grading usually price accordingly and their customers know the deal as well

sign-rantpost.gif

I went to my first convention in about 12 years today and all of the silver age stuff was in such poor condition and waaaay overpriced. I must've been getting super sweet deals off of ebay or these guys were all out to lunch. confused.gif

The only thing I ended up buying was an FF #58 which I even think I spent 5.00 too much on but at least I didn't walk away empty handed.

I checked out your website and that is a cool layout!

Anyway, I have only been to a few shows and they are small one day shows in Charlotte. However, I have never not been able to spend all I had. Some of that has to do with me needing a lot of stuff to fill in runs that I am working on. But, there are also some dealers there with very nice stuff. One guy comes down from the DC Virginia area ( i think) Shelton Drum is always there (he runs hero's arent hard to find in Charlotte and the Hero's Con), the guy from Dragon's Den down in Columbia SC. So there is always high grade stuff there. Earl Shaw and Jeff (Finecomics here) also are regulars.

Maybe the show went to was just a dud. I love going to them though.