• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What press do you use & would you purchase again?

47 posts in this topic

My wonderful wife is trying to find a reasonably priced press to give me for Christmas. Please send me a PM if you know of someone who is selling and I'll forward the info on to her. Thanks.

The logic CGC used early on was that pressing cannot be detected. That may be true for some but I am seeing more and more examples that are obviously pressed, squished beyond belief. Perhaps CGC should consider tagging such examples.

Properly pressed books are not easy to detect.

Poorly pressed books are downgraded for the poor press job.

The logic CGC used early on was that pressing cannot be detected. That may be true for some but I am seeing more and more examples that are obviously pressed, squished beyond belief. Perhaps CGC should consider tagging such examples.

Properly pressed books are not easy to detect.

Poorly pressed books are downgraded for the poor press job.

And which category do you think many of these home grown press jobs will fall under ? I've always lived under the assumption that if you want something done correctly, you go to a professional. Just because I own a stove, does not mean I can cook.

I recently picked up a Jumbo Seal 160 off ebay for about $400 shipped.It works very well but you need to know what you're doing , how paper reacts to heat/pressure i.e. paper memory.For the past year or so I have been getting by with an iron+parchment paper, then immediately stacking 200 pounds of boxes on top of the "iron pressed" book , leaving the book alone overnight.

That said, if you buy a press, expect to spend a good amount of time honing your technique with "practice books" before you consider doctoring up your more valuable books.

There are 2 variations of the 160 model, I was advised to get a 160 by a guy I know personally, who is also a board member on here who has years of pressing experience.What he didn't tell me is that I should have gotten the version with 2 leveling/ pressure adjustment screws.....with just one knob, you have to guide the press downward (or use shims for leveling) , which is a pain in the and if' you're off the mark.....you'll be lucky if you only have to press the book a second time.

Also, foamcore board and parchment paper are your friends.

Well, there is a ton of different techniques going on around the boards. I see that this whole issue is really split across the board... I'd almost say that people are more accepting of pressed books, they are just not as vocal as the people that are opposed to it.

I'm guessing it has a lot more to do with the quality of the press.

It seems that there are group of shops out there that are trying to save comics that are charged off or have future potential for increase due to appearance of key characters as well. Recouping loss from Diamond's mistakes in packing and the postal carrier lack of care seems to be on a constant rise, so every dollar counts.