• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM - Captain America 109

11 posts in this topic

Hi Chad

:hi: So the dirty staple isn't a big deal around this grade?

It's not a dirty staple, it's a completely rusted staple with migration to the cover and more than likely to the interior as well. This has a huge impact on the grade of the book, and on its resale. No way is it a 7.0 - I'd start at a 4.0 from the staple alone, and would have to see the book in hand to grade it any higher. You should seriously consider replacing the staple and conserving the book. If like you say, the interior is clean, swap it out NOW.

Hi Chad

:hi: So the dirty staple isn't a big deal around this grade?

It's not a dirty staple, it's a completely rusted staple with migration to the cover and more than likely to the interior as well. This has a huge impact on the grade of the book, and on its resale. No way is it a 7.0 - I'd start at a 4.0 from the staple alone, and would have to see the book in hand to grade it any higher. You should seriously consider replacing the staple and conserving the book. If like you say, the interior is clean, swap it out NOW.

So here is a close up shot of the interior staple, the top one is perfect. It actually looks a lot worse in the HD picture than with the naked eye. Click for high res. So, basically I'm looking at a >4.0 blue or a ~7.0 purple if I replace the staple?

Re1EDKDl.jpg

That's good - it doesn't appear to have migrated inside. But rust doesn't sleep. Q: Why do you want to slab it?

I was considering slabbing it if it was gonna be high enough grade, I bought cheap to turn around, so I'm wondering whats the best to do. If I just pulled the staple, would that give me a better grade than replacing?

It's all about the book, not the sale. The staple will get worse and worse. If it were mine, I'd swap out the staple with another from a coverless vintage SA book. Put it in Mylar and love it for what it is. :foryou: