• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are reasonable prices for pence, .30 & .35 price variants?

97 posts in this topic

Just curious.

Since I am getting into variants I was wonder how they are priced relative to their non-variant counterparts.

I know it will vary by title and issue, but just a rough rule of thumb would be helpful.

I don't want to be over-paying, then again, I don't want to pass on some deals just because I incorrectly think they are too expensive.

Since I am sticking with Conan and related, it does narrow the field a bit.

I've bought a few lots on ebay lately hoping to get lucky on some whitmans, but with lots I try to keep the per issue cost around $.50 a book.

Maybe $1 a book if they look really nice and might even upgrade some of my current collection.

But with the other variants, I don't know how hard they are to get, so I don't know how to price them.

With the pence stuff, the shipping and exchange rate is the biggest factor. So, even the cheapest ones I have been seeing are ranging in the $3-4 a book range.

Hell, I just pulle the trigger on this one that will end up being about $20 for 6 books, but I never saw a pence in the starburst like that before.

So, before I go throwing money at some of this stuff, what do you more experienced guys have to say?

For instance, what would a Monsters on the Prowl 16 pence variant be worth as opposed to it's normal version?

And are there any pence versions that are really tough to get?

Every pence version I have seen has sold for a fraction of the cents version. There does not seem to be much demand at all for the UK priced comics. Someone else might be able to shed more light on the subject, but I have found that they sell for 1/2-1/3 FMV of the cents value (at least for the pence X-Men I have seen).

For instance, what would a Monsters on the Prowl 16 pence variant be worth as opposed to it's normal version?

About 50% of the US priced version. And that's generous...

Pence copies don't sell near as well as US copies over all. With that said, I have noticed they are moving, however slightly, better than a year ago. But still far less than their US counterparts.

Jim

of course, there's no real reason the pence version should be worth less (they generally aren't reprints per se), but i suppose some u.s. completionists don't like the idea of plugging a hole in a run with a pence copy.... you'll have to start a whole new run for the pence copies!

at it's not like they're exactly rare over in merry old england. they're really not terribly rare over here either. i'd say 1/100 of my bronze age books are pence copies and that's me buying them totally randomly in the u.s..

most of my pence copies have been plucked out of bargain bins and priced the same as their u.s. counterparts. buying an individual book on ebay i have no idea.

Most Conan 30 cent variants should run you less than $10.00 a copy unless they are in high grade. Case in point-I bid to upgrade my Conan #61 but I think you beat me out and still got it for less than $10.00. The others should fall somewhere in the same range unless someone is trying to upgrade.

The 35 cent variants are going to be more expensive. Again, depending on who needs one for their set this could run you $50.00 or more. The Whitman(Direct Sale) variants shouldn't run you any more than the regular editions but finding them can be a pain since most listings don't give you a clue. Good Luck.

BTW, I was looking through your want list and there are no Direct Sale counter parts of Conan #70,82-84,88,96 and 97. There probably aren't any #73,85 or 87 either since I have been cataloging these for a few years now and have yet to see any.

Most Conan 30 cent variants should run you less than $10.00 a copy unless they are in high grade. Case in point-I bid to upgrade my Conan #61 but I think you beat me out and still got it for less than $10.00. The others should fall somewhere in the same range unless someone is trying to upgrade.

The 35 cent variants are going to be more expensive. Again, depending on who needs one for their set this could run you $50.00 or more.

Thanks. That gives me a framework to work within. Didn't realize the .35 were so tough to be that high priced.

The Whitman(Direct Sale) variants shouldn't run you any more than the regular editions but finding them can be a pain since most listings don't give you a clue. Good Luck.

That's the way I have been aproaching these. Like I said, just buying lots of like 10-20 or so and hoping to get lucky.

BTW, I was looking through your want list and there are no Direct Sale counter parts of Conan #70,82-84,88,96 and 97. There probably aren't any #73,85 or 87 either since I have been cataloging these for a few years now and have yet to see any.

Seems kind of odd that they would skip issues like that.

I will leave them on my list in the off chance that there are.

I think the tougher to find will be the newstand editions of the later part of the series. Considering the ratio of newstand / direct sales by that time.

Especially in those 3 part series they made after the main series was ended.

Also, thanks to the others.

Didn't realize the pence copies were so disliked. That is actually good news for me.

As I do intend to put together a run of just the pence versions. So far I have seen issues ranging from #29-80.

Think I will hold off on obtaining more of these until the exchange rate is better.

Reminds me of years ago when people didn't want whitman's because they thought of them as reprints and not worth anything near the value of the normal book.

tay -

if you're really into all variants of these 70s books you're going to need a set with the mark jewlers inserts too

the mennen ones, i have no idea, never seen them. that might be too much.

i have a conan 30 cent variant somewhere, where it is, uhg, i don't know

tay -

if you're really into all variants of these 70s books you're going to need a set with the mark jewlers inserts too

the mennen ones, i have no idea, never seen them. that might be too much.

i have a conan 30 cent variant somewhere, where it is, uhg, i don't know

I think it will be a while before I go that far. grin.gif

I'm not just doing the 70's. I'm going to try for the complete run in newstand, plus all the direct, plus pence, price variants, and other foreign editions.

Already grabbed one spanish copy. Have some Australian and French ones on the way.

So, if I ever get all that done for Conan, Conan the King, Savage Sword, Kull, Red Sonja and all the other misc appearances.

Then I will think about going for the ones with inserts.

foregin reprints i dunno about...seems like you're going to spend a lot more in shipping than the books are worth hunting these down. most conans aren't exactly expensive books in the first place. (OTOH, if you're looking to complete a major marvel run, conan is a great one to take a crack at... i'm getting pretty close, i have most of the more expensive BWS books already (albeit, not in high grade), just a couple of stragglers left and some issues in the late 100s/early 200s.

are you looking for king conan? for some reason i don't have the same affection for that title, even though i have the first few years of issues.

See, that's just it. I already have them complete.

Other than some of the SSOC, a couple of GN, and some of the Super Specials.

Then I discovered variants.

That got me to thinking to try and get the most complete collection of Conan (and related) comics possible.

I collected comics in the late 70's/ early 80's.

Then lost interest when I hit my mid-teens.

Then I regained interest again in the late 80's when I started getting into Conan stuff, so that led me to the Conan comics. Which got me back into all kinds of comics again until around the mid 90's.

As marvel kept restarting series I started losing interest, and only kept up on a handful of ongoing comics. Plus the occasion back issue bronze comics that would catch my eye.

The new Conan series got me interested again. I stumbled across this board. Discovered there are still some things I am missing.

Now I am on a mission again.

Got the old fire going. Again there is the thrill of the hunt.

yo Tay--

I have a duplicate 63 thirty cent variant, and a duplicate 75 thirty-five cent variant. The 63 is for sale. I am looking to trade the 75 for a variant that I need. PM me if you are interested in either.

Thanks for the offer.

But right now, I have to wait to build up some more extra cash.

I will get in touch when I can actually think about making a deal though.

People also keep telling me that Canadian Priced copies are worth less than the US priced ones. That may be true but it’s funny I can’t actually find any for sale online at under guide, if they can be found at all.

Regards Earl.

People also keep telling me that Canadian Priced copies are worth less than the US priced ones. That may be true but it’s funny I can’t actually find any for sale online at under guide, if they can be found at all.

That's a crock...most collectors don't even know they own Canadian variants much less be able to separate pricing between them and the US versions...

Jim

which are the canadian price variants among marvels?

in the 40s/50s the canadian variants are usually worth less because they're usually reprints and often of poorer quality

I don't know if that's the case with 60s and later marvels.

which are the canadian price variants among marvels?

in the 40s/50s the canadian variants are usually worth less because they're usually reprints and often of poorer quality

I don't know if that's the case with 60s and later marvels.

Excellent point...I'm talking about the 60/75 cent Marvel cover versions. I hadn't even considered older comics...are there even very many Canadian variants other than the blank covered 60s Annuals? And I thought those sold comparably to US copies....

Jim

The Canadian DC “Price Variants” I have seen date from around 1990. The Marvel one's I have seen date from the 1980's.

These are the US comics produced by DC/Marvel US but with a Canadian Price on them. This generally only effects a small number of copies which were distributed to Canadaian Newsstand’s for sale. Typically copies distributed to Canadian Comics shops in this period had the “Tri Priced” (Canadian, UK, US) direct edition versions.

The earlier Candian “Whites” were Canadian Reprints rather than US comics in that they were separate printings produced by domestic Candian publishers like Simcoe in B&W.

Regards Earl.