• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what do you do when this happens??

114 posts in this topic

What do you do if a buyer wants to back out of a transaction during the last week of the board defined 30 day transaction completion period?

Recognizing that they're less than forthright/ honest/ communicative, do you say "no"?

Moreover, can a seller say "no" to the request and wait the week out and then recommend them for the PL?

How as a seller, especially after being a respectful boardie and allowing them to take up to 30 days because, as they carefully pointed out in a pm after receiving an invoice a day later that "you (I) didn't state that payment was due within a certain time period" and that :they pay everyone after a few weeks" would/ have you responded to the "backing out of the transaction"?

Thanks.

The 30 days is not a due diligence period. Its the time (too long in my view) in which to complete the purchase where OPs rules do not specify a time certain. It's not the time period in which to decide to back out of an already agreed-upon transaction.

Weak sauce on buyer's part.

I don't even know if its buyers remorse - and that's something that should be communicated in the beginning of the 30 days - not towards the end. Secondly, why string someone along for the 30 days - doesn't that show a level of disrespect that other boardies need to be aware of?

If the buyer wanted to back out after a day and I thought the explanation was ok, I would probably just say ok and relist and keep this person in the back of my mind.

But after nearly 30 days, I think I would have to nominate to put on the PL.

The buyer should have told you he wanted to back out of the transaction very early on. Still not good, but better than waiting until the 30 days are nearly up.

What's his excuse for backing out? ..or does it even matter at this point?

You've always had great stuff listed here Eric, so I would say they hell with the deadbeat and relist your solid stuff again. The good news is that there aren't any listing fees to incur.

But unless there was a solid reason (death in the family, loss of job etc.) I would report them. Bottom line is integrity should be a person's most valuable commodity and there is no sense tarnishing that over not keeping your word.

I'm not a fan of buyers remorse. The buyer needs to be an adult, and honor the transaction you agreed to or go to the PL.

I'm with this. Based on what I'm hearing buyer was a deadbeat from the start.

Also the thirty day time period is only in effect if the buyer (or seller) has the intention to complete the transaction. It sounds like the buyer here is asking to be let out of the deal consequence free. My advice would be to send back a response saying that you had a deal and ask if he intends to complete it. if he does not intend to, then he should know that you intend to nominate him to the PL. If he says he has no intent, then you can nominate him right then and there, you don't have to wait for 30 days to have passed.

I'd like to know who it was too, but that discussion is best left for the PL discussion thread, I think.

Problem is not everyone reads that, or even knows it exists.

I say we give the vermin a fair trail and then hang em. Legal like.

Got a bucket of tar aboiling away. Who will bring the feathers?

So here's an update. The book was sold on Oc 13th. The boardie posted the “I’ll take it” both under the listing and by PM. Here's what happened when I sent the boardie the invoice.....

His response: “Don't I have the 30 day leeway allowed on the boards? Not saying I would take 30 days to sent the payment. But, I usually sent the payment a few weeks after I hit the "buy it now”.

My response: There's a 30 day period for follow through to avoid the probation list and its generally understood that payment should take place as soon as possible unless its discussed. I know that if time is needed most sellers and buyers discuss terms. Open communication always works best. I guess I should post payment within.....in my future listings. Thanks for getting back to me. When should I expect your payment? 

His response (on the 19th): I would usually pay within the allotted time if there's a "need the payment within a certain time". If that was not mentioned, I always thought everyone was the same in accepting payment. That is, within the 30 day period. You should expect the payment after 2 weeks from today. Is that workable for you?

My response: I guess its my mistake for not saying payment should be made within 72 hours. You'll pay when you can.

His response: All right, thanks.

On 11/5 I posted a question - the one that started this thread. I never mentioned the seller by name and more than “a few weeks" had gone by. The buyer clearly was not thinking about the transaction. In fact, I'm writing this update on the thread.

I then received a nasty pm from the buyer berating me with the following as the finale to their note: I spoke with the friend/board member here about this. And this is what he suggest I do. I know the book includes shipping. But I would like to purchase signature confirmation. I'll see if I can open the package in front of a postal employee. Personally, I just don't trust you. You remind me of a few ebay sellers I had the unfortunate time of dealing with. Similar to now, I had used the full allotted time to pay for something. I would received items that were "played with", because they wanted to teach me a lesson, because I didn't pay fast enough. I thought I had left that silliness behind when I stopped buying on ebay. But, apparently not. Even though I could probably get a refund from paypal. Don't want to see another erroneous thread of lies. Plus most board members will just take your side anyway. I have no "pull" here. I know how it works. Some community this turned out to be. 

Seriously?? WT*. Nowhere was any name mentioned. This was clearly someone who was/ is disconnected from reality.

The book was shipped restricted and insured on 11/07.

I receive another pm later that morning where I was berated once more and notified with a (and I'm paraphrasing) “btw... a close family member just died….”

I am writing it this way for now but I'll provide a bit more detail in a bit

Hmmm. The buyer can mention the 30 day rule but can’t say that a family member has passed. The buyer can rip into me because I think there's going to be something wrong with the transaction??? Wait, it get's better.

I then receive another note on the 13th with pictures of a very damaged book and the “something needs to be done about this. I am eagerly waiting for your response”.

Did I mention that the book was shipped restricted and insured?? Did I mention that the book was signed for by someone other than the buyer (so much for USPS restricted delivery)??

OK, the cover looks the same but I'm not sure about the rest of it. I just can't get past that it was signed for by someone else and that it took them a few days to get in touch with me - as well as my previous communications with them an their nasty disposition.

I respond on the 13th: I'm at a loss for words. In all the years I've been on this board, and with as many books as I've sold, possibly 100's, this is a first. Nothing was detached when the book was sent so I'm not sure what happened - and although an old book, its condition most certainly was not as your pictures now show - how terrible.

Out of curiosity, since the book was shipped to you and specifically required your signature - I'm curious to learn as to who actually signed for it and why it was released to anyone other than you by the USPS. Did someone else open the package? I'd like to know what happened and to ask the USPS why a required signature wasn't required. I have the right for a little more clarity.

More important though is that your note makes some serious accusations - and I've never materially concealed the details of a book or its condition to make a sale. I don't think you're quite aware of what you say or how you say things but for some reason, you think that its ok to take verbal swipes at me wherever and whenever you want and that you're justified in doing so. Careful.

In order for me to provide a full refund, please first explain who signed for the book and who opened the package - without fanfare or name calling. I'd also like to see photographs of the box the book was shipped in. And for amplification, I genuinely can't address what's happened but this experience makes me sick to my stomach. 

When I get more details from you we can discuss the refund - which I'm not opposed to - and in order to then provide a refund, I'm going to need the following:

1. The book and its pages (placed back in the book). Please pack the book back up - make sure it is safe and secure.

2. I need the original packing materials that the book was shipped in included.

3. I need the USPS box that the book was shipped in.

If you don't simply answer the question without the name calling or have the ability to provide the items I've requested I'm going to put this matter up on the boards. I'm certainly not denying the possibility of a refund, but your behavior in this transaction... should be seen by the community.

His response was without any reasonable explanations and there were photographs of a damaged book. He never sent the book back.

Now I’m not denying the possibility that the book may have been shaken about by the USPS and damaged.

I’m not denying that I may have missed something but…..there’s an open USPS claim for the buyer and the buyer has also opened a claim with paypal and they’ve chosen to not respond to my pm made on 11/18 (over a month)

My response that has gone unanswered: Again, the book appeared quite different when it was shipped (see my interior pic posted in the GA section) and I do wish to be helpful but haven't called because of my experience here with you. For me, the information you've provided since the beginning of the transaction coupled with the venomous commentary are an augury of a dialogue going from uncomfortable to unspeakable all too quickly. I prefer to keep everything in writing since your tact has been to attack and berate me.

I’ve filed a claim despite being at a loss in understanding about a few things. The USPS has sent you a letter. The claim # is VI573931828US and you’ll need to take the book, its original packaging and the original box to a Post Office and physically state that you need a 2856 Damage Report sent in to process the claim. The report needs to be faxed by the PO to 314-436-5561 to the attention of Michelle. She's handling the claim for the USPS in St. Louis.

Something to think about is your explanation to the USPS on how someone else signed for the book, how there was a time lapse in your opening it after receiving it or of the distinct possibility that someone else opened it, the possibility that someone else may have mishandled the book after it was signed for, and why you do or don't have the box - and why you requested Restricted and Insured delivery and why you have no photographs of the box, etc.....I can only attest to the books condition as shipped.

And one more thing. I can appreciate you wanting to have some privacy concerning the loss of your (edited) (family member) and choosing to not say anything - but the timing and manner that the disclosure was made is more than unsettling. To me it just seems a little too odd that you could comment on the payment terms and not simply politely say "hey man, btw, I've got something personal going on” (and then actually after making the disclosure rip into me the way you did after I posted a few questions).

What do you do???