• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lichtenstein's Theft and the Artists Left Behind
1 1

542 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, kav said:

After my stint at art school I switched majors to chemistry and didn't draw for 5 years.  Yep them art instructors excel at their jobs for sure!!

I liked mine, but as I said, it was a tiny program at a science-heavy school (I went to Rice in Houston).  They weren't trying to encourage people to actually become working artists it was mainly a creative vent for future doctors, engineeers, architects, lawyers, etc.  The absolutely least talented guy in my class was the one who wanted to do it for a living.  He was tall, good looking, and chatty... for some reason I bet some galleries probably wound up being nice to him if he ever took a shot at it.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, its an interesting read.   I agree with Kav's comments, alot of success with artists comes from who you know and not what you produce to a certain extent.    An interesting venture I created was an online art gallery (long since shut down) in the mid 90's.   I had a lot of fun creating it and sold a few works, but not enough to merit keeping it running more than a few years.    I was able to craft good relationships with a number of who I thought were very talented artists who were very passionate about their craft and still are actively painting today.   Most of them however are barely making a living from their art, even after all these years, its a very tough road to travel down.   I remember one artist in particular was an incredible figurative painter, yet the only way he could make a living was by painting flowers as those pieces would sell almost immediately once he put them up for sale.  He really hated painting flowers, but did it to pay his mortgage.   Ironically of the few pieces I sold through the website, one was one of his flower paintings.

I actually paint as well, but have always given away my pieces to friends and family if I have not kept them myself.   Reading these posts brought back some of these memories that I have not thought about in a while.

Looking at artwork that demands something from the viewer tends to be an exercise in frustration to those who aren't used to it.

A big part of understanding Modern/Post-Modern Art is the running dialog between the viewer and the artist. A starting point would be Manet's  "Luncheon on the Grass". You can look at it aesthetically. Or you can choose to understand it's sharp and biting wit.

Taken just out of time and place, so much of the true meaning is lost. You don't HAVE to always like it, There are many Modern pieces I don't like, but it does REALLY help to understand what it meant DURING the time it was painted.

That why the word "zeitgeist" is so important to art.

This is a running story with its own changing language that has been going on for over 150 years. You aren't going to understand the story by looking at a few panels.  It is not the same world as Illustration.

Edited by Rip

5 hours ago, NoMan said:

Thanks for whomever posted that video. I laughed pretty hard.

I take street photos as a hobby. I used to subscribe to an arts/photo magazine called "Blind Spot." It came out about 6 times a year and had a hefty price tag: $25.00 an issue. I enjoyed it with its articles and analyzation of some of the woks of the masters: Winogrand, etc. 

However, they changed editorship and one issue had 19 pages of blank pages and an article about the artist who produced the blank pages and so on. I canceled my subscription.

Just so this post has some comic-book substance: Tales To Astonish #27 is going to become the new grail of all collectors. It is THE BOOK.

The 19 blank pages  (and the accompanying article about the artist who produced the *spoon*)

pretty much sums up most modern art these days...... it's nothing.......

21 hours ago, kav said:

"I see this as an imagining-each viewer is free to create his or her or hir piece in their own mind-free to share it or not as they see fit.  This unshackles the boundaries imposed by more tangible works of art and accesses directly the heart of the creative process."  Dimensions 5' by 8'.  Price $23,000,000.

Hilarious!    Well done! 

Here's a link to an art critique generator that Gene posted years ago in one of the Lichtenstein threads from the OA Forum.  I've kept it as a "favorite" all this time.

http://www.pixmaven.com/phrase_generator.html

3 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Hilarious!    Well done! 

Here's a link to an art critique generator that Gene posted years ago in one of the Lichtenstein threads from the OA Forum.  I've kept it as a "favorite" all this time.

http://www.pixmaven.com/phrase_generator.html

:roflmao:

This is the " Broad Museum, in East Lansing Mi , right on the campus of Michigan State

the museum building itself is a nice piece of modern art i go there about once a year because it is free and to see what new exhibits they have 

always  go with an open mind but always leave disappointed ,... but do get a good laugh at the so called art....

Image result for broad museum lansing

Edited by 1950's war comics

as mentioned in an earlier post in this thread a Batman movie segment was filmed here , they shut down the area for a couple days and fenced everything off , they auditioned for some extras whom a few were seen in the background of a couple scenes,.. Ben Affleck was in town for a few days and made headlines..... the museum sticks out like a sore thumb amidst a traditional college campus setting....

Image result for broad museum lansing Image result for michigan state campus buildings

the last time i went there a couple months ago it literally only took five minutes to see everything and this is a large building ! everything inside is the comic equivalent of DREK !!

the inside exhibits were so completely unremarkable that none were worth even remembering, there were college age guides for every room but it was embarrassing because nobody cared about the drek inside the rooms, one big room had a bunch of photo's of spaghetti ,.. thats all i can remember it was so bad.....

Edited by 1950's war comics