• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lichtenstein's Theft and the Artists Left Behind
1 1

542 posts in this topic

Here is a blow up example of two side by side which I think better illustrates the differences. The cosplay pic shown by Kav was also a great example of someone who understands the major differences.

romita-benday-detail_zpse3b1f878.jpgroy-l-sleeping-girl-dots-detail_100dpi_brighter_zpsc47f9148.jpg

Edited by Rip

I like Lichtenstein, I would like to see one of his pieces in person.

As for seeing Lichtenstein's work in person, you really need to. Seeing one of his paintings next to an identically sized photo of a comic panel on Barsalou's website could not be more misleading. Unfortunately, they didn't allow photographs at the retrospective in the National Gallery in D.C. last year, but here's a photo of me next to "Sleeping Girl" (which is much smaller than some of his other well-known works) when it was displayed at the Philadelphia Museum of Art last year.

Compare this to what would have been maybe a 3" x 4" panel in a comic book printed in muted 4-colors on newsprint. Well, to the extent you can, anyway. Only one of them attracts your eye and holds your attention with its bright, garish commercial printing colors, thick black lines and dotted face. There is no text (unlike the source material) - it leaves you to create your own narrative. In the comic, the narrative is spoon-fed to you - it was not meant to question or inspire, it was meant to entertain a 14-year old kid. That's not an insult, that's just a simple fact. To say that the art hasn't been transformed in a meaningful and interesting way is demonstrably false. All you have to do is physically compare that one panel in a comic book to this painting and look at the difference in color palette, size, texture, verbiage (or lack thereof), and, most importantly, context. You experience the comic and you experience Lichtenstein's painting in completely different ways.

If Lichtenstein had gotten express permission to use the images and Russ Heath, Irv Novick, etc. were enthusiastic fans of Lichtenstein, few of you would be calling this work the boring work of a thieving hack. Instead, because he didn't go out of his way to do so and win the hearts and minds of future comic book aficionados in 2014, many of you view him as a pariah, and none of the extenuating circumstances (work-for-hire, publishers not caring back then, publishers sometimes not even crediting the artist, things being far less litigious back then (let alone arguing for fair use), RL actually having positive things to say about comic artists, scholars and museums later acknowledging the source material in exhibitions and materials, etc.) will dent your single-minded fury at the artist. And that, to me, is just a bit sad and misguided, because, as comic fans, I feel we should be enjoying this work even more than others. 2c

I've enjoyed reading this thread over the past few days. Great post (thumbs u

Context, Context is everything.

Oh and thanks to RMA for pointing out 4'33"

I polled about ten people at work today individually on whether they had ever heard of this "spoon" of an artist and not one of them had , we all range in age 40-60, I had never heard of him until this thread and I googled him on his web images and realized instantly that his artwork was "spoon", I can appreciate great art and have been to a few museums and marveled at a Monet which was beautiful beyond description.

I have been to the High museum in Atlanta 15 years ago and was ashamed at some of the x-rated modern art that children were able to view, no need to go into detail but trust me it was disgusting and NOT art.

a leading contributor to this thread evidently is enamored with 1960's American pop art , if he were to be living in North Korea today he would be espousing the brilliance of the paintings created by their great leader

Kim ul Jong who blesses the art world and paints a masterpiece every time his brush touches the canvas

Edited by 1950's war comics

I polled about ten people at work today individually on whether they had ever heard of this "spoon" of an artist and not one of them had , we all range in age 40-60, I had never heard of him until this thread and I googled him on his web images and realized instantly that his artwork was "spoon", I can appreciate great art and have been to a few museums and marveled at a Monet which was beautiful beyond description.

I have been to the High museum in Atlanta 15 years ago and was ashamed at some of the x-rated modern art that children were able to view, no need to go into detail but trust me it was disgusting and NOT art.

a leading contributor to this thread evidently is enamored with 1960's American pop art , if he were to be living in North Korea today he would be espousing the brilliance of the paintings created by their great leader

Kim ul Jong who blesses the art world and paints a masterpiece every time his brush touches the canvas

lol:insane: All hail Kim ul Jong

Little-Kim-Jong-iL--49402.jpg

I like Lichtenstein, I would like to see one of his pieces in person.

As for seeing Lichtenstein's work in person, you really need to. Seeing one of his paintings next to an identically sized photo of a comic panel on Barsalou's website could not be more misleading. Unfortunately, they didn't allow photographs at the retrospective in the National Gallery in D.C. last year, but here's a photo of me next to "Sleeping Girl" (which is much smaller than some of his other well-known works) when it was displayed at the Philadelphia Museum of Art last year.

Compare this to what would have been maybe a 3" x 4" panel in a comic book printed in muted 4-colors on newsprint. Well, to the extent you can, anyway. Only one of them attracts your eye and holds your attention with its bright, garish commercial printing colors, thick black lines and dotted face. There is no text (unlike the source material) - it leaves you to create your own narrative. In the comic, the narrative is spoon-fed to you - it was not meant to question or inspire, it was meant to entertain a 14-year old kid. That's not an insult, that's just a simple fact. To say that the art hasn't been transformed in a meaningful and interesting way is demonstrably false. All you have to do is physically compare that one panel in a comic book to this painting and look at the difference in color palette, size, texture, verbiage (or lack thereof), and, most importantly, context. You experience the comic and you experience Lichtenstein's painting in completely different ways.

If Lichtenstein had gotten express permission to use the images and Russ Heath, Irv Novick, etc. were enthusiastic fans of Lichtenstein, few of you would be calling this work the boring work of a thieving hack. Instead, because he didn't go out of his way to do so and win the hearts and minds of future comic book aficionados in 2014, many of you view him as a pariah, and none of the extenuating circumstances (work-for-hire, publishers not caring back then, publishers sometimes not even crediting the artist, things being far less litigious back then (let alone arguing for fair use), RL actually having positive things to say about comic artists, scholars and museums later acknowledging the source material in exhibitions and materials, etc.) will dent your single-minded fury at the artist. And that, to me, is just a bit sad and misguided, because, as comic fans, I feel we should be enjoying this work even more than others. 2c

I've enjoyed reading this thread over the past few days. Great post (thumbs u

Context, Context is everything.

Oh and thanks to RMA for pointing out 4'33"

(worship) Honestly, this place would be barren without you. YOU RULE!!!

Was its Jeff Koons Made in Heaven? :sick:

I was going to say the same thing. lol

Easily my new favorite boardie. (worship)

Yes its time for this thread to end,

The copycat so called pop artist RL's name should never be mentioned on these boards again... except in disgrace, to refer to him by name is an insult to all who cherish comic collecting, to call him merely "spoon" is not severe enough.

gxkFv07.gif

That face is what every girl in school always made when I walked into the room.

:cloud9:

lol

She sorta makes a Debbie Downer face at the end

debbie.jpg

I polled about ten people at work today individually on whether they had ever heard of this "spoon" of an artist and not one of them had , we all range in age 40-60

Maybe it's because you asked them whether they'd ever heard of the artist Rob Lichtenfield? (shrug)

I like to think of all the dudes in wheelchairs drinking water and laughing at him! lol

I like to think of all the dudes in wheelchairs drinking water and laughing at him! lol

:roflmao:

He's like Archie Bunker without the warmth. :eyeroll: