• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Book Twelve-Day Twelve

4 posts in this topic

Amazing Spider-Man #90

There are a few books in my collection that I thought were near mint when I bought them. This was one of them. I learned over time it wasn't as pristine as I originally thought. The book was magical. Along with X-Men #42 and Daredevil #48, these were the first of many silver age classics I would purchase over the years.

The cover is iconic. Captain Stacey was unknown to me. My first experience with the character also happened to be his last. His dying breath also revealed that the good police officer knew he was Peter. Stan Lee continued to deliver story after story solidifying the character that is Peter Parker.

I dare say I learned a lot over the years and this was one of the books I sharpened my teeth on. I hope the next one I can learn on is from the same series, just forty issues earlier.

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

16089.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

Now this is a comic I can talk about...

Definitely one of my favorites - The entire 3 issue story arc that ends in this issue was great.

I'm glad they used the Capt. Stacy death sequence in the Amazing Spider-Man movie. Paying tribute to an often forgotten big event in Peter's life was a nice addition.

I felt that after this issue, Peter's relationship with Gwen became more mature (as did the comic itself). This event fit well at the beginning of Stan Lee's last 20 or so issues of ASM that he wrote.

Following this story was the Harry on drugs issues (#96, #97, #98), the introduction of Morbius, the Living Vampire (#101, #102), Gwen Stacy in a skimpy jungle bikini (#103, #104), and some great Spider-Slayer issues (#105, #106, #107).

And, of course, this all led to Gwen's death in issue #121. I know that Stan didn't write it, but he helped set up the vibe of the comic with the events leading up to her death - Even though he says he didn't agree with killing her off - But what did he expect?

I love the foreshortening of the cover art and how it's angled on its side to create a different effect.

My first forays into Silver Age books was early Daredevils, but ultimately I owned a few early iron man, FF and Cap America SA books. I sure wish I still had them. Sigh :(