• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OSPG vs Reality

83 posts in this topic

I use OSPG as a reference book only, not a price guide

Prices (in real time) can vary greatly on both ends of the scale for any book. So many variables in play.

I am curious - if not for prices, what do you use it as a reference for?

Honest question, no snark involved.

-slym

Prices (in real time) can vary greatly on both ends of the scale for any book. So many variables in play.

-slym

First appearances, artist listing etc etc :shrug:

Jim

-slym

Jim

Publication dates, number of issues in a run, etc. etc.

I have to get through the idea that OSPG is way off sometimes on GA. Mainstream Superhero (Big 3 of Cap, Batman and Superman) seem to be going well over OSPG.

The Overstreet Price Guide pricing is the most ridiculously off base in the section in the back where they give price values for back issues of the Overstreet Price Guide. Other than the first issue I don't know of anyone living or dead who would seriously pay anywhere near the prices listed in there.

maybe they have pallets full of near mint stock that their accountant advised them to value highly to bolster the asset ledger.

The Overstreet Price Guide pricing is the most ridiculously off base in the section in the back where they give price values for back issues of the Overstreet Price Guide. Other than the first issue I don't know of anyone living or dead who would seriously pay anywhere near the prices listed in there.

Good...I need copies of #2-5. Got any?

-slym

Jim

Publication dates, number of issues in a run, etc. etc.

This

Sometimes, for certain comics, Overstreet = reality. There are plenty of dealers out there that still use it as a primary price guide. It's convenient and contains data about books where actual sales data is scarce.

Sometimes, for certain comics, Overstreet = reality. There are plenty of dealers out there that still use it as a primary price guide. It's convenient and contains data about books where actual sales data is scarce.

This is very true. When I was younger and more foolish I was under the impression that OSPG was obsolete. It isn't. It's just one large part of a greater hobby and I came to realize that many people use it.

OPG is not a price list.

What do you call a "guide" that is not accurate 99% of the time? I'm glad my guide book of Maui was a lot more accurate or I would have gotten completely lost on a couple hikes.

This is very true. When I was younger and more foolish I was under the impression that OSPG was obsolete. It isn't. It's just one large part of a greater hobby and I came to realize that many people use it.

..... a whole LOT of people use it when quoting a "buy" price lol GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

but seriously I've always seen the guide as a pace car...

not a real racer, but a price that someone thought was relevant at that moment.

collectors that use the guide sees this relevance and banks on it through their expectations of the market.

when such a collector goes to a show they expect for this to be a gauge (+10%–-10%, unless it's a "hot key" or fodder).

Anything lower and they will be thrilled, much higher, except for pristine stock will get snubbed or jeered.