• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How have GA-prices developed the last 15 years?

2 posts in this topic

Not a big deal really. I just wondered if any "generic" tendencies can be established for the development of GA-key prices since the inception of CGC?

- how pricing only moved up?

- or also down

- are we looking at slow, continuous growth on these books

- or do they leap in sudden spikes

- are such potential 'eruptions' always supported by market reality

If any general picture can be established, could that be used to support or reject the old acusation: "that vintage comics are a multi-decade bull market eventually destined to 'come down'".

Thoughts anyone ...

Well, your title says GA prices but the post says GA-key prices.

First you have to define "key." Books that used to be considered key, like Marvel Comics 1 or All-American 16, seem to have petered out already and will probably not even keep pace with inflation.

Books with great covers are selling well, but only to a point. There seems to be a ceiling for books that are sought after just because of the covers, with a few exceptions. The only non-Timely/non-DC examples I can think of that have gone much above $10K on the strength of the cover have been some Suspense #3's and the Mile High copy of Target #7, which sold for $57,500 in 2003. (As amazing as that latter book is, I seriously doubt that result could be duplicated today.) There may be other examples, but those are the only two that come to mind right now. At any rate, I think you could find 10 times as many books, like the Tracy Feature Book or Mickey Mouse and the Phantom Blot, that have lost most of their former steam.

Mega-keys (specifically Action #1 & Tec #27) have become conspicuous-consumption items, so those aren't likely to go down in value until superheroes are considered passé, and we're probably at least a generation away from that. I doubt many people will be collecting comics 100 years from now, but that's not something any of us have to worry about.