• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

need a presser and a cleaner...I'm giving in

71 posts in this topic

I have had 2 or 3 books pressed years ago to remove water damage and to fix a bad amateur press job from a book I bought in the marketplace here -- beware of amateurs with waffle irons! When the day comes to sell these, I will disclose they were pressed.

:hi:

The "Hooks" method lol

I have had 2 or 3 books pressed years ago to remove water damage and to fix a bad amateur press job from a book I bought in the marketplace here -- beware of amateurs with waffle irons! When the day comes to sell these, I will disclose they were pressed.

:hi:

The "Hooks" method lol

It was a book from Hooks. doh! An Avengers 16 squeezed and baked to death with curling up corners.

Fortunately, Joey G was able to bring it back to life. I believe he used moisture to re-hydrate it and then pressed properly to fix the flyaway corners.

Because no one pressed books ten years ago.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Pressing existed before CGC. However, not to the extent that it exists now

I saw a thread earlier today where folks are looking for press machine recommendations and a number of people chime in with the pros and cons of their personal models. It was like they were talking about something as common as a smart phone.

That was certainly NOT happening 10 years ago! Back then there were a handful of guys doing it and the craft was still in its infancy. There may have been a few underground pressers, but it certainly wasn't like today where it is apparently common practice to have your own.

The sad reality of today's market is that if a dealer isn't getting top dollar out of his books, someone else will and the first dealer is simply leaving that money on the table.

One can pizz in the wind or one can get take their family to Disney with the money they made off their competitors decision to stand on his principals.

Its a shame it's come to this, but it was inevitable. Simply too much money to be made.

So true... Also applies in the business world.

Collectors being the key word. It doesn't make economic sense for dealers to do this, however.

Why would a person sell a VF for $25 when a $15 press can turn the book into a 9.4 that sells for $125?Multiply that by a couple of hundred books a year and you can send your kids to private college.

Here's what I've never been able to figure out.

Why would a person buy a 9.4 for $125 when they can buy a VF for $25 and press it to a 9.4 for $15?

Collectors being the key word. It doesn't make economic sense for dealers to do this, however.

Why would a person sell a VF for $25 when a $15 press can turn the book into a 9.4 that sells for $125?Multiply that by a couple of hundred books a year and you can send your kids to private college.

Why would a person buy a 9.4 for $125 when they can buy a VF for $25 and press it to a 9.4 for $15?

It isn't as easy as that. The VF has to be the right candidate to get to 9.4 via pressing. Many possess minor VF defects that just can't be pressed out. So it is always a matter of the right book.

It isn't as easy as that. The VF has to be the right candidate to get to 9.4 via pressing. Many possess minor VF defects that just can't be pressed out. So it is always a matter of the right book.

I sort of understand that, though I'm not a 'high-grade guy'. But if I want a 9.4 and I'm willing and able to pay $125 for it, and I don't care about having a pressed book in my collection, why not find a pressable VF and save $85? I could get it wrong a couple of times and still come out ahead.

I sort of understand that, though I'm not a 'high-grade guy'. But if I want a 9.4 and I'm willing and able to pay $125 for it, and I don't care about having a pressed book in my collection, why not find a pressable VF and save $85? I could get it wrong a couple of times and still come out ahead.

You're probably not thinking of books as a label-delivery-device. Reeling in the exact label-number wanted probably isn't your end-game.

Why do people play 6-5 blackjack when the next table pays 3-2?

To paraphrase a recent post- think how dumb the average collector is, and then realize that fifty percent of them are even dumber.

Obviously not every VF book can be bumped up, but why sell one that can be.