• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you buy from a dealer with dishonest business practices?

180 posts in this topic

I will not buy anything from Lee's Comics.

Why not? hm

Yeah, why not? Since the accusation question on Lee's thread seems to have gotten removed... hm

He took advantage of a mutual friend who had a stroke, and paid a fraction of the value for multiple pieces of art when the family came to him as a trusted source. He saw the situation and took full advantage of it.

If anyone has questions feel free to PM me.

:(

5) People with less than a 99.9% approval rating on eBay

This is silly. I have a 99.4% eBay rating because of one (literally) insane buyer about 8 months ago. Guess I should be avoided at all costs.

9) eBay sellers who only show one pic that does not enlarge

11) Dealer websites that use "stock photos" (Yes, that means "My Comic Shop and Mile High"

Re. #11: I'm pretty sure My Comic Shop's higher-end books, which are almost always consignment items, always have real photos. For instance, the Fantastic #10 has a stock photo next to it because the site pulls images from a database as reference--even for books that aren't in stock--but you can get to the real photos of the book that's for sale by clicking on the magnifying glass icon.

And those stock photos just get annoying when you are looking for a book and see it on eBay. I don't mind the photos on the website (MCS). I use those for ref., but it bugs me when I get lured into a BIN offering and all they have is the stock photo.

Our cutoff point for what gets a scan is around $10. Most books $10 and up have scans, and books $50 and up get a back cover scan too. It'd be nice if we could scan every $2.00 book we have, but it'd be too expensive with the number of books we handle.

This is silly. I have a 99.4% eBay rating because of one (literally) insane buyer about 8 months ago. Guess I should be avoided at all costs.

That's it. You're on the list. :insane:

You should be taken out and shot... :roflmao:

I'll tell you what's silly...trying to make a sensible list late at night when you're over tired... I'll have to amend that list, when it's not late, and when I'm not tired, and when i can think straight...gotta post now...post...post...post... :acclaim:

11) Dealer websites that use "stock photos" (Yes, that means "My Comic Shop and Mile High"

Re. #11: I'm pretty sure My Comic Shop's higher-end books, which are almost always consignment items, always have real photos. For instance, the Fantastic #10 has a stock photo next to it because the site pulls images from a database as reference--even for books that aren't in stock--but you can get to the real photos of the book that's for sale by clicking on the magnifying glass icon.

And those stock photos just get annoying when you are looking for a book and see it on eBay. I don't mind the photos on the website (MCS). I use those for ref., but it bugs me when I get lured into a BIN offering and all they have is the stock photo.

Our cutoff point for what gets a scan is around $10. Most books $10 and up have scans, and books $50 and up get a back cover scan too. It'd be nice if we could scan every $2.00 book we have, but it'd be too expensive with the number of books we handle.

I understand your $ vs. time problem, but you still need to see the problem from the potential buyers viewpoint. I can't buy a book (even under $10) sight unseen. I haven't done that since the early 90s. Anyway, we collectors don't often sympathize with dealers about scan time, since we scan and post and yak for free for hours at a time...days on end...ad nauseum...cause we think it's fun... :roflmao:

I have all kinds of categories of people I won't buy from, or items I won't buy:

1) Price gougers

2) Dishonest people

3) Pushy people

4) People with a no return policy

6) People who can't grade within .5 of a grade

7) Slabbed books

8) People who won't discount (except Payette)

10) eBay sellers who use "stock photos"

I guess I'm picky...

I agree with most of this list with the exceptions of:

5. Maintaining 99.9% or better on Ebay is very difficult especially with so many scammers and Ideeots.

6. I can buy a mis graded book if the price is correct for the grade they gave.

8. If the book is fairly priced I don't necessarily need a discount.

I have all kinds of categories of people I won't buy from, or items I won't buy:

1) Price gougers

2) Dishonest people

3) Pushy people

7) Slabbed books

I guess I'm picky...

5. Maintaining 99.9% or better on Ebay is very difficult especially with so many scammers and Ideeots.

8.-Oh, you're just not playing the game right...

6.-OK...that sounds fair...

5.-OK....amended to 99.4

1) Price gougers

2) Dishonest people

3) Pushy people

7) Slabbed books

I guess I'm picky...

8.-Oh, you're just not playing the game right...

6.-OK...that sounds fair...

5.-OK....amended to 99.4

5. I check the feedback, and if there is one negative in a hundred transactions I will buy from the seller as that circumstance was a "one off". If they have 10 negatives out of a hundred I will pass.

6. (thumbs u

8. Doesn't mean I don't try to get a discount. :gossip:

#9 Immediately made me think of Shay Sheth (microbia on eBay)

My biggest pet peeve as far as eBay(Dealers) is concerned is sellers who do not leave/return feedback. I will not e-mail or request it after a transaction, it's common practice on eBay to do say after i receive and am satisfied with a purchase from you. Many people have not had repeat business on eBay from me for this very reason, no matter how bad i want a book they may have. (i picked this post for a reason to post my peeve, read between the lines.) And no, i'm NOT referring to Jimbo 707

#9 Immediately made me think of Shay Sheth (microbia on eBay)

My biggest pet peeve as far as eBay(Dealers) is concerned is sellers who do not leave/return feedback. I will not e-mail or request it after a transaction, it's common practice on eBay to do say after i receive and am satisfied with a purchase from you. Many people have not had repeat business on eBay from me for this very reason, no matter how bad i want a book they may have. (i picked this post for a reason to post my peeve, read between the lines.) And no, i'm NOT referring to Jimbo 707

I'm confused...are you saying I bought a book from you and did not leave feedback? I am not aware of it, and I have never sold a book on eBay, so I know that isn't the problem...and I've left feedback (positive) for everyone I've bought from...so maybe you could be a little less cryptic and explain what you're referring to...oh, wait...maybe Shay or My Comic Shop? I'm a little slow today, just got off work...