• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone utilize pre-screening when you submit books to CGC?

44 posts in this topic

$5 for rejection fee + shipping. Both ways. Adds up to be more like $10 or higher if youre book/s get rejected.
I guess, if you ship one book at a time lol

If your average key is $200.00 and lets assume 25 get rejected thats $76.00 both ways equals 152.00 divided by 25 is 6.08 per book.. Add the 5.00 rejection fee and youre at 11.08

If 10 get rejected thats 55.00 x 2 :10 = 11

Either way its around 11

$5 for rejection fee + shipping. Both ways. Adds up to be more like $10 or higher if youre book/s get rejected.

If your average key is $200.00 and lets assume 25 get rejected thats $76.00 both ways equals 152.00 divided by 25 is 6.08 per book.. Add the 5.00 rejection fee and youre at 11.08

Either way its around 11

That's a nutso shipping price in your calculation. I ship Fedex and have CA coverage - CGC doesn't charge me anything for shipping and I can get 30 slabs shipped back to me for around $25-30 using my own Fedex account.

Either way its around 11

That's a nutso shipping price in your calculation. I ship Fedex and have CA coverage - CGC doesn't charge me anything for shipping and I can get 30 slabs shipped back to me for around $25-30 using my own Fedex account.

Not too sure I understand what coverage you have Fedex insures up to 100.00. Here are the rates from CGC's form:

shipping.jpg

Either way its around 11

+1 Awe your calculations are absurd. I like to make money, I use prescreen and reasonable shipping. The shipping to CGC amounts to less than $ .50 per book. Return shipping doesn't cost anything because CGC packs those in with the slabs. But I have never had a submission with 25 fails :o

Either way its around 11

+1 Awe your calculations are absurd. I like to make money, I use prescreen and reasonable shipping. The shipping to CGC amounts to less than $ .50 per book. Return shipping doesn't cost anything because CGC packs those in with the slabs. But I have never had a submission with 25 fails :o

Where are you getting your figures? I went to ship a package to CGC the other day. It weighed 14 lbs, I averaged it at 2000.00 for insurance. The post office still charged me 70.00.

I quoted you a figure of 25 AND 10 rejects. It still comes to the same price BECAUSE of the high cost of shipping. Now, CGC will not pack more than 30 books per package and so youre bound to have 2 packages for the 50 youre prescreening. So whether youre getting back 25 or 10 books back to you, theyre still 11 a pop.

How do you guys get CGC to ship you books for less? fedex wont insure more than 100

I mean dont get me wrong, I can ship a 4-5000.00 package to CGC media mail with no insurance, but I refuse to take that chance. Now Im really curious, how do you avoid paying high shipping for your books..

And btw, those who do pre screening in diff tiers will not be able to combine either.. Even more shipping charges!

Either way its around 11

Not too sure I understand what coverage you have Fedex insures up to 100.00. Here are the rates from CGC's form:

shipping.jpg

Actually, Fedex changed their rules a while back and collectibles are now covered up to $1,000 for Fedex ground shipments.

I have 3rd party insurance through Collectibles Insurance Services, though, so my packages are covered for the full amount and my shipping charges are billed directly to my Fedex account.

Either way its around 11

Where are you getting your figures? I went to ship a package to CGC the other day. It weighed 14 lbs, I averaged it at 2000.00 for insurance. The post office still charged me 70.00.

I quoted you a figure of 25 AND 10 rejects. It still comes to the same price BECAUSE of the high cost of shipping. Now, CGC will not pack more than 30 books per package and so youre bound to have 2 packages for the 50 youre prescreening. So whether youre getting back 25 or 10 books back to you, theyre still 11 a pop.

How do you guys get CGC to ship you books for less? fedex wont insure more than 100

If you printed the postage online, it would "only" set you back $45 - here's a 14 lbs USPS priority package with $2,000 worth of insurance going from NYC to Sarasota:

Image%202014-11-19%20at%207.45.08%20PM.png

Either way its around 11

If you printed the postage online, it would "only" set you back $45 - here's a 14 lbs USPS priority package with $2,000 worth of insurance going from NYC to Sarasota:

Excellent news about fedex, but looks like Im still doing USPS as I do submit high end books mostly. I can see how someone will not care much if theyre shipping 50 rat queens #1 (yup, I said it AITA) but with mainly copper keys I still wont insure less than 2000.

And thanks for pointing me out to usps website. I guess I dont submit often enough to even want to open an account with them (I do most of my shipping on eBay), but that would have saved me some money. Not much, but still..

Thanks!!

Either way its around 11

Excellent news about fedex, but looks like Im still doing USPS as I do submit high end books mostly. I can see how someone will not care much if theyre shipping 50 rat queens #1 (yup, I said it AITA) but with mainly copper keys I still wont insure less than 2000.

And thanks for pointing me out to usps website. I guess I dont submit often enough to even want to open an account with them (I do most of my shipping on eBay), but that would have saved me some money. Not much, but still..

Thanks!!

Your not comparing apples to apples. Copper keys like UXM 266 etc can be subbed without having to prescreen cause a 9.2/9.4 will still bring more money than a raw would. Now if you sub a Rat queens 1 in a raw NM/MT on ebay you will likely get $5 for it. (so you make $2). Now sub that book and get a 9.8 and you can sell it for $50 (minus slabbing/shipping) you can make about $20. That means that you need to be 1 in 3 to ensure you aren't losing money on the rejects. If you took that same RQ1 and subbed it normally and it hit a 9.6 you would be looking at $30 for the book (which is basically your slabbing costs + book cost so you are even). If by chance the book comes back a 9.4 well you are now -10 likely.

Either way its around 11

Thanks!!

I max out the insurance value on every single book I submit to CGC - $200/book for moderns, $1000/book for standards, etc. Shipping Fedex with 3rd party insurance for the full value of the submission is still vastly cheaper than using USPS.

Anyway ... if you have a Paypal account, you can print USPS postage at the online prices at this link - there's no need to actually use the USPS site:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

Either way its around 11

Thanks!!

Your not comparing apples to apples. Copper keys like UXM 266 etc can be subbed without having to prescreen cause a 9.2/9.4 will still bring more money than a raw would. Now if you sub a Rat queens 1 in a raw NM/MT on ebay you will likely get $5 for it. (so you make $2). Now sub that book and get a 9.8 and you can sell it for $50 (minus slabbing/shipping) you can make about $20. That means that you need to be 1 in 3 to ensure you aren't losing money on the rejects. If you took that same RQ1 and subbed it normally and it hit a 9.6 you would be looking at $30 for the book (which is basically your slabbing costs + book cost so you are even). If by chance the book comes back a 9.4 well you are now -10 likely.

TOTALLY agree! So.. To answer the OP question. No, pre screen is not required for big ticketed books, only for 100 or less books. Unless of course the submitter is visually impaired and cant tell an 8.5 from a 9.4 (thumbs u

Either way its around 11

Thanks!!

I max out the insurance value on every single book I submit to CGC - $200/book for moderns, $1000/book for standards, etc. Shipping Fedex with 3rd party insurance for the full value of the submission is still vastly cheaper than using USPS.

Anyway ... if you have a Paypal account, you can print USPS postage at the online prices at this link - there's no need to actually use the USPS site:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

Only problem with using paypal for this is that they cap your insurance at 500.00

Either way its around 11

Thanks!!

TOTALLY agree! So.. To answer the OP question. No, pre screen is not required for big ticketed books, only for 100 or less books. Unless of course the submitter is visually impaired and cant tell an 8.5 from a 9.4 (thumbs u

Glad we agree that the second post, or the first one to answer the OP was the answer we agreed on.

Can you submit like 10 different books and do a pre-screen on each one for like getting a 9.8?

I think the minimum is 25 books.

Unless they changed it, wasnt a prescreen 50 books?

And if it is 50 books, you can mix books for a prescreen. As long as the number of books equals 50 or more. For example, 10 cyberforce 1, 30 bloodshot 1, 10 wildcats 1 can be a prescreen.