• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Book Twenty One-Day Twenty One

5 posts in this topic

X-Men #42

In my younger days of collecting I was scared to pay too much. I didn't have the knowledge I have now, and slightly before I discovered price guides all I had to go by was instinct. Did the book look good and was it worth giving up new issues? After scrounging around the back issue boxes I found some nice looking books for what I thought was a decent price.

After buying a few DD issues by Frank Miller for $3 apiece I started to feel comfortable with this price point. But as I began delving back as far as I could, prices began to soar. $5, $20, and ultimately higher before they made their way onto the wall. It was to my surprise when I found out Professor Xavier died and it wasn't a hoax.

The problem was that the book was $5. That was a lot of money for me back then, my whole weekly allowance. The cover was reeling me in and before I knew it the single book purchase was on the counter and I was on the way home with a book older than me, possibly the first one I bought that met this criteria. I'm happy this is still part of my collection, but do I dare dream of better?

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

16139.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

Yes, five dollars well spent. I remember an early con where the hot book was Howard the Duck 1 which most dealers had at the going rate of $25.00. I found a copy for $5.00 and felt I'd get rich off it in the future. Funny, things did'nt work out that way.