• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most lurid pre-code horror cover?

82 posts in this topic

not so lurid and a bit OT, but does anyone here think a reader copy of Avon's Witchcraft #1 from 1952 may sell for over guide on ebay? (which is $60something in good, this is probably Good-, maybe Good)

probably not.

thanks for the info, the sept 2004 results are a probably a bit more relevant than 2002, but the result seems the same either way

oh well, i only paid $3 for it, i should be happy to get $20-$30.

Yeah price-wise, I would have to agree with every one. You'll get no less than $25 with an outside chance if there is good eye-appeal to the low forties. But on a $3 investment, that's like the moon. Wish we'd talked in September sorry.gif Nah, I'm actually happy with the copy I bought.

Well, I paid the $3 in 1993, so it's not like I'll make 700-1000% overnight.

Anyway, I hate to sell any of my old stuff, but I need to list some things that are sure to sell at worthwhile prices to keep my wife happy about the whole comic collecting/selling thing. We need some money, but more than anything else she wants to feel like I'm reducing the comic clutter because we just don't have any room. So, this'll go, along with some pre-code crime that I'm not in love with (but I'm keeping my painted "Justice Traps" covers!), some low grade Barks Donald Ducks that I'm fond of, but are readers, so I can live without them, mid/low grade Marvels and DCs (crossing my fingers on those), etc.

It would be nice to be able to list all the junk at once, but if we don't have sales in there at first she's going to get mad at me.

Ahhh, the things we do for our wives! But don't worry, every time she has a spare make-up/perfume sample (and she seems to accumulate a lot of them), it goes up too! Unfortunately, used shoes don't sell too well on ebay, otherwise i'd tell her to list those.

Once thing, and others can chime in to confirm, is that you shouldn't worry about selling. Put them up with a low starting bid and while it will not get guide, it will sell (and I am saying this not only for the Witchcraft but also for the other you have listed).

I agree! There was a seller who listed about 35 pre-codes that ended a day or so ago, starting bids at the original cover price of TEN CENTS each. Of course, they all sold, mostly in the $15 - $30 range, though some went for substantially more.

part of this is that i would like some of this stuff that's going to be of interest to people perhaps bringing some traffic to my store where big combined orders can get discounts, free shipping, etc.

i'm not in desperation mode yet (mainly i'd like to get some reasonable fraction of guide for my old stuff, I don't care about getting 15-25 cents each for my newer stuff) and anyway, i'm spending a huge chunk of money on new cabinets/shelves, which should alleviate some of our storage issues. maybe she'll get off my back about the measley few boxes of comics i still have in the apartment. in my fantasy world I would like to widdle myself down to about 2,000 - 2,500 "keepers" for my collection out of the 10,000 or so books I have now. And it wouldn't necessarily be my best stuff vis a vis price guide, but I may opt to keep some high grade bronze. If I'm able to get guide for most of my golden age slabs I'd be thrilled (which tend to be mid-grade books, only a few of which remotely rare). Maybe that's just a fantasy.