• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you like Golden Age comics?

130 posts in this topic

Bill Gaines fought a losing battle to keep censorship from turning his comics mediocre.

Definitely. The New Direction, Code-approved books still had great art, but the stories had lost their edge.

Don't forget that all those great artists ( hm well, a lot of em) did work for MAD after that. Wally Wood has some fantastic stuff in the pre #100 MAD books

024e1f57-bebd-4dea-9f0b-fb26e0f613eb_zps3c550f8d.jpg

He's just the best :applause:

You should have a look at the oversized, black-and-white art in the EC Library books or the IDW Wally Wood Artist's Edition, Mike. You'll be blown away.

My brother gave me that book last year for Christmas, great book. Along with photos of covers and art, I also enjoy the photos of kids reading comics in the era and of the books being printed and distributed.

Are these the books that are as big as a house? I must get them one day.

There was a book by Taschen called '75 Years of DC Comics' which was indeed as big as a house. The book that I posted is just the Golden Age section of said book, albeit a little more fleshed out and smaller in size (13x10).

We had a party this weekend, and a couple of my friends were discussing the absurd size of some of the Omnibuses I owned. I then pulled out the Taschen 75 Years book, complete with it's own cardboard suitcase and handle, and that pretty much shut them up.

Yeah that book is absurd. Perspective pic from Taschen's site with Paul Levitz being dwarfed by the book.

teaser_xl_75_years_dc_comics_top_1204231645_id_538094.jpg

My brother gave me that book last year for Christmas, great book. Along with photos of covers and art, I also enjoy the photos of kids reading comics in the era and of the books being printed and distributed.

Are these the books that are as big as a house? I must get them one day.

There was a book by Taschen called '75 Years of DC Comics' which was indeed as big as a house. The book that I posted is just the Golden Age section of said book, albeit a little more fleshed out and smaller in size (13x10).

We had a party this weekend, and a couple of my friends were discussing the absurd size of some of the Omnibuses I owned. I then pulled out the Taschen 75 Years book, complete with it's own cardboard suitcase and handle, and that pretty much shut them up.

Yeah that book is absurd. Perspective pic from Taschen's site with Paul Levitz being dwarfed by the book.

teaser_xl_75_years_dc_comics_top_1204231645_id_538094.jpg

Better beef up the legs on your coffee table if your going to keep that one on there

Bill Gaines fought a losing battle to keep censorship from turning his comics mediocre.

Definitely. The New Direction, Code-approved books still had great art, but the stories had lost their edge.

Don't forget that all those great artists ( hm well, a lot of em) did work for MAD after that. Wally Wood has some fantastic stuff in the pre #100 MAD books

You should have a look at the oversized, black-and-white art in the EC Library books or the IDW Wally Wood Artist's Edition, Mike. You'll be blown away.

They're on my list.... as is The Outer Space Spirit

Wally Wood is my favorite artist of all time. The guy could do anything. His sc-fi stuff is still unmatched. Speaking of large books, the Artist Edition is utterly fantastic.

2h7ic2c.jpg

Wally Wood is my favorite artist of all time. The guy could do anything. His sc-fi stuff is still unmatched. Speaking of large books, the Artist Edition is utterly fantastic.

2h7ic2c.jpg

+1

There is no modern comic book artist like Wally West today in comic books, and frankly there hasn`t been one for a long time of his caliber.

Wally Wood was doing stuff in the 1950s comic books that would make him a millionaire in today`s water downed and diluted landscape. Which is amazing when you consider the modern comic book artist has much better technological advanced tools than Wally Wood ever had back then. IMHO

2h7ic2c.jpg

+1

There is no modern comic book artist like Wally West today in comic books, and frankly there hasn`t been one for a long time of his caliber.

Wally Wood was doing stuff in the 1950s comic books that would make him a millionaire in today`s water downed and diluted landscape. Which is amazing when you consider the modern comic book artist has much better technological advanced tools than Wally Wood ever had back then. IMHO

drool :cloud9: