• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars VII Teaster Trailer on Black Friday

608 posts in this topic

Being a child of the 70's this is evoking those emotions of seeing Star Wars for the first time.

For me, this is the most anticipated movie in the last decade and I think I peed a little.

I'm so with you on this. Made me feel like a kid again - the dramatic pause before the swooping intro of the Millennium Falcon accompanied by Williams' iconic score just instills pure, unadulterated joy. :)

I feel a bit bad that for those who are so cranky or jaded that they're already proclaiming to be utterly let down and/or put off the whole film based on ~ 70 seconds of teaser footage.

Exactly. Very sad, how critical and selfish some people are. It Star Wars man, it's gonna be epic. Everyone wants what they want and nothing else. :facepalm:

Being a child of the 70's this is evoking those emotions of seeing Star Wars for the first time.

For me, this is the most anticipated movie in the last decade and I think I peed a little.

I'm so with you on this. Made me feel like a kid again - the dramatic pause before the swooping intro of the Millennium Falcon accompanied by Williams' iconic score just instills pure, unadulterated joy. :)

I feel a bit bad that for those who are so cranky or jaded that they're already proclaiming to be utterly let down and/or put off the whole film based on ~ 70 seconds of teaser footage.

100% agree. I'm just feeling lucky enough that I'm able to see a new Star Wars film. I'm not a fan of the prequels and think they were terrible, but on some strange level I'm thankful I was able to see them, and I'm looking forward to the new films.

Can you imagine what it must be like for JJ Abrams to have the opportunity to co-write then direct a Star Wars film??? Sit back, relax and just enjoy it. :whee:

I can see no functional use for that lightsabre

It cant be used as a guard because the metal prongs which are shooting it out are exposed and would be clipped off by another sabre.

It cant be used as a guard because the metal prongs which are shooting it out are exposed and would be clipped off by another sabre.

So it runs the same danger of a regular lightsaber if you were to strike the tip of the hilt. (shrug)

So it runs the same danger of a regular lightsaber if you were to strike the tip of the hilt. (shrug)

Yes

Therefore it is uneccessary

Yes

Not following. Therefore the entire lightsaber is unnecessary because it can be disabled by hitting the weak spot, which is the hilt itself. It spikes coming out of the side probably offer more protection.

I remember people decrying a double edged lightsaber sword as impractical. Say what you want about the prequels, but Lucas proved critics that disliked the double edged blade wrong in that Darth Maul's lightsaber was one badass piece of weaponry.

Wait and see...

Don't think of it as a lightsaber with two tiny sabres on the side (which is what most people assume). The metal prongs are actually there for the wielders benefit, not for stopping an opponents blade:

The source of energy is in the base of the hilt and that the mechanism used to bleed the crossbar from the primary beam is just as powerful as the beam itself. This energy is split from within the main base out the sides. Another sabre hitting these guards will hit the metal but there is a beam within them (they are not generating the beam itself) and will stop (direct contact with the material that the crossbar "appears" to come from will only affect that material, not the underlying beam, which will still protect the Sith’s hands below it.).

Why is there metal prongs / metal base in these areas then if they are not responsible for the generating of the blade? easy...imagine what would happen if the users hand slid UP when holding the base..they would cut off their fingers, thus this metal covering is to guard their hands from slipping up into contact with the blade.

It’s simply a cleaner design than a raw energy beam featuring a crossbar.

:)

Yes

It isn't unnecessary, the cross-guard on a longsword has both offensive and defensive uses. And the probability that the creators consulted a longsword master in the design/practicality and fight choreography is 100%.

If everyone on the internet has the same negative reaction toward seeing the longsword lightsaber for the first time, I imagine the same reaction was shared by the people working on the movie and other previous test audiences. So I'm guessing in the finished product that it will all make sense and audiences will forget all about it.