• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quick box within a box mailing question

29 posts in this topic

Hey, I am going to the box within a box mailing option, but it seems easy and obvious, and it offers lots of protection at little cost.

But what is the exact best combination of boxes from USPS? Is it the 1092 and the 1097 (measurements seem right in proportion to themselves), or a combo with the 1095...

Obviously the point is to not only have the inner box fit, and snugly, inside the outer box, but to also not be too big or little for the slabs.

Thanks...

Neil

The times I sent a slab, I used a 1092 and liked to have a little slack in the second box so the slab isn't right up against the box edge (that seems to be where impacts seem to happen) so I used the bigger 1095 with some bubblewrap or newspaper for cushion. 2c

The times I sent a slab, I used a 1092 and liked to have a little slack in the second box so the slab isn't right up against the box edge (that seems to be where impacts seem to happen) so I used the bigger 1095 with some bubblewrap or newspaper for cushion. 2c

+1

Wrap the slab in bubble wrap a couple times, put it into a 1092, and fill the gaps on the sides with packing peanuts. Seal up the 1092. Then, take the 1095, put a couple layers of bubble wrap in the bottom, and then insert the sealed 1092. Then, fill the top gap with more bubble wrap or peanuts before closing the 1095. Tape securely. Works like a charm.

+1

Wrap the slab in bubble wrap a couple times, put it into a 1092, and fill the gaps on the sides with packing peanuts. Seal up the 1092. Then, take the 1095, put a couple layers of bubble wrap in the bottom, and then insert the sealed 1092. Then, fill the top gap with more bubble wrap or peanuts before closing the 1095. Tape securely. Works like a charm.

This.

-slym

Awesome. Thanks guys. I have the 1095s already so I will order the 1092s and get going. To me, the added strength of a second box is hard to beat.

I have also been told that the 1092 / 1095 works best. I'd love to see it if anybody wants to take photos of the packing process. (If nobody does this, eventually I will!)

1092 with 1095, or if more economical, Regional Rate A in Medium Flat Rate. However, you can't go as crazy on the padding in the first box with the latter.

I wonder how long they will allow us to order these boxes online for free? Not like I'm complaining, but if they are truly billions in the red, the business model indicates free perhaps isn't conducive to survival. :)

1092 with 1095, or if more economical, Regional Rate A in Medium Flat Rate. However, you can't go as crazy on the padding in the first box with the latter.

I wonder how long they will allow us to order these boxes online for free? Not like I'm complaining, but if they are truly billions in the red, the business model indicates free perhaps isn't conducive to survival. :)

They're not "free" in the sense that most (hopefully upwards of 90%) people ordering them are going to be doing business with USPS, so the expense of the boxes ends up back in their pockets. It costs USPS a lot less to deliver them to your home than it would cost to supply (and maintain inventory records at) each individual post office with extra space to store a variety of odd-shaped boxes and other supplies, or to potentially lose business because such supplies were not available in some other way.

It is possible some people could order the free supplies and then not use them for USPS transactions, but the coloration and inner printing makes it near impossible to use the boxes to mail things in a non-Priority fashion, and the boxes are butt ugly and inconvenient in terms of use for long-term home storage or something of that nature.

+1

This, exactly. :)

A slab will fit in the Regional Rate 'A2' box?

-slym

Yeah.

I use the 1092/1095 combo for 1-3 slabs as it's (usually) cheaper than a MedFR. After 3 slabs though, the MFR box is the way to go.

-slym

Just use the 1095 as a mfr box

Have you done that before? I didn't know it was possible.