• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can we talk about the 90's?

22 posts in this topic

In the last few months I have read Avengers 1-400, and am now reading Captain America from TOS 58 thru Cap 200.I'm finding the pre 67 books absurd and barely entertaining.

The Cap tales before TOS 72 are childish.After that Stan seems to have spent more than a half hour per -script. Avengers before issue 40 are also way too simplistic. I think Avengers are one of the only Marvels that made it thru the 90s without being caught up in all the BB and BG hype that ruined most of Marvels books. Of course,thats discounting the absurd Liefield re-launch that I just ignore.

Yeah, I'm undergoing a similar project right now having spent most of the last 2 years reading the major 60's early 70's runs of all the major Marvel runs up to and including the one's you've mentioned. And I do agree with what you've said insofar as the early 60's being rather "simplistic".

I also feel to truly appreciate the 70's, 80's and onward it will/should help to appreciate that era better having read the history of the character. What I hoped would not happen however, was running into a similarly dull run of early 90's which would be as difficult to get through as the early 60's simplistic story lines I've already had to slug through.

Did you re-read the modern Avengers...or was the entire run the first time you tackled the title. And.....if you did re-read them....was reading the Moderns the second time around any different than the first?

Also, I just wanted to mention that as simple as those early Marvels were, they were still an easier read than the early DC's that came out around that time speaking strictly from the point of view as an adult. Having read Justice League again from issue #1 onward certainly gave me that impression. But.....I do remember what I was reading mostly in the early 60's was DC because as a kid I found them easier to read. I still remember thinking back then Marvels had too many big words in the comics. Now remember, I used to be pretty young back then. crazy.gif

In re-reading the Avengers series,I was struck by something strange.

I had recalled much of the pre-320 issues and for the most part a glance at the cover and I would recall the gist of the book.The last 80 issues I did not remember very well and there were a few surprises.

I had never read the new Avengers run(the one that just ended). I have now assembled a complete set(my issue 70 is MIA) and am reading them now for the first time. For the most part I have found this run quite enjoyable.