• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Mailbag - Anyone Here Ever Had Their Letter Printed?

22 posts in this topic

I have been meaning to ask this question for a while. There must be a few of us who can show us a copy of a letter they wrote to Stan Lee back in the day that actually was printed and responded to?

X-Factor something

Cant remember the issue # but It was an issue where x-factor is on another planet caught in a war between the genetically perfect and mutants. On the cover I think is iceman erecting a shield to protect from a punch from some big genetic pure guy! I was first letter published there!I was going for the no prize but I did not get it!

I've been trying to get one printed, but no such luck just yet. I sent one to Aspen after I read Soulfire #0. They were having a contest to name the letters page. I suggested "Burning Souls." But that was months ago, back in the summer even. So I don't know what happened with that, considering I'm still waiting for issue #3 to be released.

Just wrote a letter to Marvel for New Avengers. We'll see what happens.

I've been trying to get one printed, but no such luck just yet. I sent one to Aspen after I read Soulfire #0. They were having a contest to name the letters page. I suggested "Burning Souls." But that was months ago, back in the summer even. So I don't know what happened with that, considering I'm still waiting for issue #3 to be released.

Just wrote a letter to Marvel for New Avengers. We'll see what happens.

My prior editorial experience only consists of an article discussing the College Football BCS and how it really has served it's purpose and how a playoff system will never work to the NCAA's advantage. It was printed in my hometown paper's sports section cloud9.gif

When I was a kid I wrote a letter to The Flash, my favorite book. It wasn't printed, but I did get a large postcard-type thing back saying "thanks for writing" showing superheroes reading a letter. Around 1993 I wrote a toungue-in-cheek letter to Dave Sim asking for statistics on Eric Lindros, as I had recently moved to Texas and getting info on hockey was difficult. He never answered or printed it. Then last year I wrote to Sim again the day Cerebus #300 was due to come out. He wrote back personally as promised in the book and answered a couple questions I had, so I know he actually did read it. That letter was the capper to my Cerebus collection, though I still need a t-shirt or two, and an original page, and a gold #0.

I was reading some older books recently and came across a letter signed "The Mad Maple" who of course became TM Maple and had over 500 letters printed. Sounds like maybe an article or something to track down TM Maple, Kent Phenis, and those other guys who seemed to have every letter printed.

I believe Olav Beemer (from the Netherlands) also had over 500 letters printed, he's still around, he runs a website devoted to the Dutch translated Marvel comics and a Comics message board and sporadically works as a translator for Juniorpress, the publisher of Marvel Holland.

I also remember reading a lot of letters by the Wu sisters (Alice and...) by these were mostly in DC books.

And of course (Uncle) Elvis Orton

I believe Olav Beemer (from the Netherlands) also had over 500 letters printed, he's still around, he runs a website devoted to the Dutch translated Marvel comics and a Comics message board and sporadically works as a translator for Juniorpress, the publisher of Marvel Holland.

I rembers Olavs huge rambling letters in Savage Dragon

I once had my letter published in Marvel Age as "THE LETTER OF THE MONTH" in the 80's. My letter was about original comic art and the question I asked was whether or not they had multiple original art Covers for various countries. The letter of the month had the honor of being higlighted in YELLOW. I was high off that for months.

Never had a letter published in a comic(though I wrote quite a few), but I did have letters printed in MONSTERS FROM THE VAULT, MIDNIGHT MARQUEE, COMIC BOOK MARKETPLACE and VIDEO REVIEW(a long diatribe on the cut SUPERMAN IV in 1987!). I wrote a letter to Bill Gaines in the late seventies asking him to revive the horror comics, told him how much my dad loved them as a kid, and he sent a nice handwritten reply: "I'm sorry, Larry, but comic books aren't profitable anymore. Say hello to your dad!". And it had an Alfred E. Neumann "What Me Worry?" sticker on it. I've always thought that Gaines was one of the nicest guys to ever be involved in the comics business, and I was really sad when he passed away. He went before his time.

Sounds like maybe an article or something to track down TM Maple

TM Maple was Jim Burke. He passed away a few years ago. He used to do some self-publishing and wrote some stories for Allen Freeman among others. He stopped sending off tons of LOC sometime in the early 90s, in part to work more on the small press stuff.

I had probably about 20 letters printed in different Marvel books during the

early 80's. I'd hate to point out the issues since the letters were so

uniformly a$$-kissing and fatuous. Marvel ate those right up. I have to

admire DC for refusing to print such drek.

Edited by Paul_Maul

I had probably about 20 letters printed in different Marvel books during the

early 80's. I'd hate to point out the issues since the letters were so

uniformly a$$-kissing and fatuous. Marvel ate those right up. I have to

admire DC for refusing to print such drek.

THATS usually the best approach. A fawning asss=kissing letter gets their attention in a good way.