• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Silver Age Spectre... murderer of millions!

58 posts in this topic

The cover to Showcase #61 is even more drastic
I think even as kids we got that Spectre was a Ghost. Unless I'm misremembering. hm

Shove stuff around, hit and fight, show himself any size, all that. But pushing planets around by force/will didn't mean he was squishing people under continent-sized fingertips.

As kids we didn't know the word ethereal, but we got the concept. Didn't we? (shrug)

Agreed that DC had some very fantastic moments in its past. The heroes in the DC Universe were overpowered and DC has fixed that.

But, I feel these things pale in comparison to Mephisto's show of power in Amazing Spider-Man a few years back. :baiting: De-aging Peter Parker, removing the marriage, and removing anyone knowing who Parker was has to be one of the more powerful displays of powers in a DC or Marvel comic ever. How did this Mephisto character ever lose a battle against any hero? (shrug)

Agreed that DC had some very fantastic moments in its past. The heroes in the DC Universe were overpowered and DC has fixed that.

But, I feel these things pale in comparison to Mephisto's show of power in Amazing Spider-Man a few years back. :baiting: De-aging Peter Parker, removing the marriage, and removing anyone knowing who Parker was has to be one of the more powerful displays of powers in a DC or Marvel ever. How did this Mephisto character ever lose a battle against any hero? (shrug)

I can't recall any battle where he did lose. (shrug)

But, I feel these things pale in comparison to Mephisto's show of power in Amazing Spider-Man a few years back. :baiting: De-aging Peter Parker, removing the marriage, and removing anyone knowing who Parker was has to be one of the more powerful displays of powers in a DC or Marvel ever. How did this Mephisto character ever lose a battle against any hero? (shrug)

:banana: He retreats in victory...

Two words: Illyana Rasputin.

;)

-slym

The Spectre and Dr. Fate are two of my favourite characters, but at times they have simply been too powerful, and if used at that level too often would seem like lazy deus ex machinas. The most effective stories for me are the ones where they're in the middle ground, power-wise, such as the Fleisher and Ostrander Spectre runs; still quite intimidating but not near-omnipotent as they were portrayed in the earlier GA More Fun Comics stories.

Wasn't there a story line in the early 1970s where Captain America reveals his identity for a few issues and then someone( Dr Strange) erases it from everyones memory?

Not the arc where he is Nomad, but an earlier one.

Then, at the end of the Avengers-Defenders War, everyone on earths memory is erased of the events, except the two teams.

It's an uncanny story-Curt Swan used all kinds of crazy perspectives/foreshortening he never used in any other story

It's a stand-out story on many levels

I finally found this story-it's in Superman #198-I'll post the pages shortly

Superman also blew out a sun in the story 'the super-super-superman'

Anyone know what issue that's from? I'm trying to track it down

I want to scan it so everyone can read the coolest but most ridiculous story DC ever did

Yup, that story is the 2nd story in SUPERMAN #198.

And yup, that is one of the more ridiculous stories.

Here, I saved you the trouble, here are the ten scanned pages from a ratty copy I have kicking around.

1A.jpg

1B.jpg

1C.jpg

1D.jpg

1E.jpg

1F.jpg

1G.jpg

1H.jpg

1I.jpg

1J.jpg

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW can Stuporman blow out a sun by taking a breath on Earth? There is not enough atmosphere on Earth to make the slightest impact on a sun!!!! Also, no matter how strong he is, he cannot inhale any more air than you or I-air fills the lungs by expanding the volume-not by super-muscles pulling it in. Plus, for a super intelligent being that alien was pretty damn stupid about the consequences of his 'gift'.

Strange, Kav, your last two posts didn't show up until after I posted mine.

Must have been a glitch in this thread since I posted the same thing twice as it wasn't showing up.

Yes what happened was Davenport had posted a video which was removed at the hosting site and it blocked further posts until a mod deleted it-this makes Dav the only boardie to self-lock a thread and gives him 10 locked thread points.